A Mile A Day

How is everyone doing? (Read 158 times)

jeffdonahue

Been kind of quiet here lately so I thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing. No real problems with the streak the last couple of weeks but did have a pretty tough 10 mile race last week. I also have a KILLER 10K comign up - 560 feet of climbing over one mile smack dab in the middle of it - apparently most people (even the elite runners) walk up portions of this hill. On another note, it looks like we have a few people that have just reached the 100 day mark - congratulations!!!! with 2 more coming up in the next two weeks.

q day

Dealing with some crazy heat and humidity here in Missouri, but i know we aren't the only ones. I went to the track last night just to see if I could handle the heat and still do a speedworkout. I jogged 2 miles before deciding that 99 degrees with a heat index over 110 was challenging enough without doing anything faster. I then drove down to a nearby trail and ran another 3 in the shade. Hot, yes, but not unbearable. Since I slept in again today, I'll be hitting the heat of the day again later. This reminds me of a great story that I will put out on the forum as "a coincidence, and lesson learned twice". This last weekend I tried something new and did two races in a day! There was a 5K cross country race in the morning, then a 5K on a track that evening. The CC race was truly that with creeks to jump, wet grass, mud and hairpin turns. I was worried that I was going to break a leg or at least strain an ankle, but I ran as if I were 16 again, and thankfully finished without incident/injury. Great fun! Then, that night, it was a neat experience to run on a college track, under the lights, against an array of competitors, in front of a crowd. My time for the 2nd 5K was a PR for 2008, and only 47 seconds off my all time PR. I won't be scared to run two races in a day anymore and would even recommend it. Hope everyone is doing well. S.O. D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Running around the ship

Hey everyone... Still at it here...passed 6 months a day or two ago. Mileage and speed are low...not sure if that is due to lack of motivation or if a lack of motivation is creating the reduced performance. Or, maybe it's just the heat! Anyway, I hope everyone is doing great! Mike
          I'm still at it too. I am a month away from 100 days in a row again. I signed up for my first marathon, the 2009 Houston Marathon...so I have been trying to build up my mileage and train for that. The heat and especially the humdity have been my biggest challenge here as of late, other than that I feel like I'm still going strong.

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm here. I was away all weekend. We traveled to Nashville to visit SIL. That's 800 miles for us. We traveled back Monday (13.5 hours in the car)... My legs are sore and the last two days runs were 1 milers. Hope to get back on plan tomorrow...
              I haven't had problems with heat, sorry to hear lots of folks are. Today's Maine temperature is actually going to be 16 degrees cooler than normal. The last 30 - 40 days have been a lot better than the first 60 of my streak. When I joined, my plan was to run 100 days in a row, and then decide to continue or not. To be honest, I did not think I would. Fifty to sixty days in I was not pleased with how things were going. I was hungry all the time, and gaining/maintaining too much weight. However, I cut mileage from 40 mpw to 35 mpw, and since then have lost five pounds, and feel better. My current plan is to make it to 200 days, and keep one day ahead of Pammie Smile
                Im doing well.. still astonished that Ive gone this far. Tomorrow will be a month! Ive never been consistent with anything, thats how I knew this would be a challenge for me. I finally told DH about it a week ago because I had to get in my mile one night and I had a migraine and it was getting dark so I knew he would be really confused as to why I was running out the door. So I showed him my log and he didn't say anything...he just ran upstairs and changed into some running clothes and said lets go. He has been super supportive, asks me every so often how many days it has been. I plan to keep it up but I have no idea how long I want to shoot for. I guess Ill just take it day by day. Smile I am curious to know if any one else feels hungry a lot more while streaking (I saw that MaineRunner mentioned it)I have been eating A LOT.. is there something to it? My mileage hasn't increased too much yet, Im afraid of how much Ill want to eat when I do reach higher miles. CONGRATS to all of those who hit 100 days!

Oh Mighty Wing

Yeah Mrs Hub!!! That's great that you've made it this far AND that hubby is supportive!
                  jeffdonahue

Wow, now that is one supportive husband. My wife is very supportive in that she will check with me late in the day if she doesnt remember me having done my run, but there is no way she would head out the door with me. Congrats on the month, and as for setting a goal number of days, you dont really need to. I personally, set my goal for one year. Maybe now that you have done a month, you could set it for 100 days and then see where you want to go from there. Jeff
                      Im doing well.. still astonished that Ive gone this far. Tomorrow will be a month! Ive never been consistent with anything, thats how I knew this would be a challenge for me. I finally told DH about it a week ago because I had to get in my mile one night and I had a migraine and it was getting dark so I knew he would be really confused as to why I was running out the door. So I showed him my log and he didn't say anything...he just ran upstairs and changed into some running clothes and said lets go. He has been super supportive, asks me every so often how many days it has been. I plan to keep it up but I have no idea how long I want to shoot for. I guess Ill just take it day by day. Smile I am curious to know if any one else feels hungry a lot more while streaking (I saw that MaineRunner mentioned it)I have been eating A LOT.. is there something to it? My mileage hasn't increased too much yet, Im afraid of how much Ill want to eat when I do reach higher miles. CONGRATS to all of those who hit 100 days!
                      re: number of days goal - I don't think it is necessary to have one either. However, for me, streaking is too daunting without having a number in mind. So I pick a number, just for my own piece of mind. re: hunger - I have a weekly mileage "sweat spot." Too few, I gain weight because I am not burning enough calories. Too many, my appetite becomes uncontrollable, and I gain weight because I consume too many calories. There is a middle ground where the appetite is not a "beast," but I am working hard enough to burn off weight. It seems to be a moving target. A few years ago 20 miles per week was my "sweat spot." Now it is 35 miles. The number of days I run per week doesn't seem to affect hunger pains, it is the total number of miles. I have found just a few extra miles will awaken my hunger beast. re: your husband - that was a nice thing for him to do!
                        Thanks guys, yeah I agree having goals helps and I think I honestly would want to shoot for a year, but Im worried about making it through the winter. So for now Ill say 100 days! Hopefully the hunger will relax some, its all new to me. I eat because I am bored at work too so I need to decipher between the two.
                        Pammie

Doing well Weather has been a bit up and down had a massive thunderstorm here last night a little fresher this morning but can still feel the humidity. Temp not as high as other places but for us Brits we are not used to it. Humidity is the killer though Though saying that have handled the heat apart from the odd day Mrs Hub - I find my hunger shoots through the roof when i hit around 50 miles currently around 40. But one thing i've noticed recently i've been trying to lose weight since new year kinda plateaued around march (not that i had much to lose about a stone) but i struggled since but its been slowly coming of in the last month or so

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm trying to lose a stone too. (is that used correctly? I had to go look up how much it meant.) I'm not sure how well that's gonna go with marathon training and all.
                              I'm trying to lose a stone too. (is that used correctly? I had to go look up how much it meant.)
                              After looking it up I realized thats about what I want to lose too Smile
                                On wikipedia it says a stone is equal to about 14 pounds, unless you are referring to the Chinese weight, which is equal to about 160 pounds.