A Mile A Day

How did you start? (Read 41 times)

Maniac

Did you work up from 3 days per week to 4 days per week to 5 days and then eventually to 7 days per week?  OR, alternatively, did you decide that you were just going for it and started running 7 days per week?

I've increased my mileage substantially over the past few weeks (marathon in October), but I've toyed with the idea of streaking off and on for several years.  Today is day 10 of my streak, and my legs are really starting to feel it.  Does that feeling go away or do you guys just all run on tired legs all the time?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Ojo

Not sure why I started.  I think I read about it on the board and thought it sounded like a good challenge.  I tried it out over summer vacation but after 3 weeks I decided to stop.  A few weeks later I started again and kept on going for 966 days until I had to have surgery.  Now I am nearing 2 years and have no thoughts of giving it up.

For me, it motivates me every day -- gets me out the door and mentally prepares me for my day.  It affords me the extra calories to eat and sometimes the time on my feet allows me to solve problems.  Also for me, it is about being outside.  I have only run 2 days in a treadmill and that was just last month.  I love feeling challenged by whatever mother nature throws at me!  Smile

And I have run following marathons, 50ks and even a 50 miler!  No problems getting those legs moving!

Sara

MM #2929

Maniac

Thanks for the reply.  That's kinda what made me start (If I have to run every day to keep the streak going, then I'll actually run....maybe).  I've made it to 10 before, but I don't think I've ever made it beyond that.  My legs are tired, but are better this time than the previous time (I think).

I'm very impressed by your streaks.  Running that many days in a row seems unfathomable to me.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

It's important to pay attention to your body and take easy days of 1 or 2 miles when you start feeling worn down.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jeffdonahue

It's important to pay attention to your body and take easy days of 1 or 2 miles when you start feeling worn down.

+1 for this.

For me, i think I read an article in RunnersWorld with a list of running related goals you could shoot for in the upcoming year.  One of them was to run every day and it had a link to www.runeveryday.com .  I checked out the link and wanted to get more consistency in my running as well.  I had just hired a coach and was following his plan and I actually found that a nice easy 1 miler on the days he had me for full rest was pretty easy and may have even helped me recover faster.

I got through year 1 (not without some difficulty - ran with a serious case of the flu and a badly twisted ankle once) and just kept going.  I honeslty do a lot of 1 mile days it seems, but overall even if I did 1 mile every day, that would be 365 miles for the year and some people would love to get that much mileage in.

I just passed 5 1/2 years and dont know when I'll stop.  All I know is that when I do stop (whether next week or in 5 or 10 years, I want to stop because I stopped on my own, not because I forgot or couldnt find time - there is always time to get in a mile).

All I know is that when I do stop (whether next week or in 5 or 10 years, I want to stop because I stopped on my own, not because I forgot or couldnt find time - there is always time to get in a mile).

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I will stop when I can't run because I am seriously injured or ill. Otherwise, it is the least I can do for myself each day.  Some runs are terrible, some runs remind me why I love running so much, and some runs are a hasty 1 mile up the street and back again. I just feel that a day off is not going to make me feel any better the next day.

Twofinches

I was toying with the idea for a couple of weeks. But last Saturday I had a disappointing 5K. Sure it was windy and cold, but after the first 1 1/2 miles I gave myself permission to walk a hill because I lacked the internal voice that said "Just keep going". The first walk gave me permission to walk again at the 2 1/2 mile mark (pitiful). When I crossed the finish line at 33 minutes (3 minutes off pace for me, I am nearly 54 year old female)I was so angry at myself. I decided that committing to a daily run would take from me the choice to not run if I didn't feel like it. So that's my story. I started today with a 1.5 run.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I started because Trent was doing it. The rest of my story is much like Ojo's above. I got accustomed to "when am I going to run" having completely replaced "am I going to run today". It's inconvenient right before and after a goal race, or a long race (last weekend, for me).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ojo

True . . . although I must admit running the day after my 100 mile race was not as bad as I thought it would be!  Big grin

It's inconvenient right before and after a goal race, or a long race (last weekend, for me).

Sara

MM #2929

Intentionally Blank

There have been a couple of marathons where I stopped fretting about the final 3-4 miles and fretted about the next day's 1.