A Mile A Day

It could all end tomorrow (Read 392 times)

jeffdonahue

So I ran a nice 17 miler today.  I've been trying to get my long run up to build a better base lately.  Afterwards my legs felt pretty good, but also I could tell they were pretty tired.

Tonight I was at my nephews birthday party and got roped into playing kickball.  Needless to say my brothers yard is not flat and there are divots and potholes all over the place.  I pulled my right calf really bad - can barely walk right now.  Going to ice it and take ibuprofen right now but I definitely am not doing the 10 miler I had planned for tomorrow. 

Right now I'll be happy if I can walk in the morning and struggle through amile at lunch or after work.

Wish me luck

Ojo

Ugh!  That does not sound good!  I really hope you feel better tomorrow.  Keep us posted.

Sara

MM #2929

jpdeaux

Sorry to hear that Jeff. My guess is it is one of those times we all have that brings into question the wisdom of doing this, well, somewhat loopy thing we do.

I'm with Ojo. I hope you feel better tomorrow. Not so that you can run a mile, but so that you know you're recovering.

Is there a 12 step program for recovering streakers? I might need it one day.

Ojo

Is there a 12 step program for recovering streakers? I might need it one day.

There should be.  I am already back at it and so much happier now that I have my "fix"! 

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Morning Update

Okay, so I got up this morning and it feels a little bit better.  Better in that I can now flex my foot back and forth with no pain when laying down where I couldnt do that last night.  I slept in (not running this morning, so why not?) and then headed to the gym - no workout, just a shower before work.  I almost opted to just stay home and lay down all day, but it's a busy week at work and I am on vacation next week.

I am walking straighter and with less pain than last night - still very small steps.  But I found that a few times I could take a semi-normal step and it was okay, but if I twist it or move it the wrong way I still get a sharp pain.  I also noticed in the shower that it is kind of tender to the touch as well.

So here I sit at my desk.  i borrowed an ice pack and a foot rest from a fellow employee so I can keep it elevated a little.  I had sat down for about 15 minutes earlier today and it was almost completely seized up when I tried to stand.

So - plan for the rest of the day - REST.  then I'll see how it feels around 8:00-9:00 tonight and maybe I can eek out a mile before putting it to bed early.

Good luck, Jeff.  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck, Jeff.  

yes,  wishing you the best!!!

steph  

jeffdonahue

It wasnt pretty, but I got my mile in.  And it was more of a cross between a shuffle/jog/limp/hobble for most of it, but one 12mpm pace mile done.

And actually my calf feels better now that I'm done - I think I loosened it up a bit on the run. 

Probably do a few more of those to rest it up even if it starts to feel better tomorrow.

Seanv2

It wasnt pretty, but I got my mile in.  And it was more of a cross between a shuffle/jog/limp/hobble for most of it, but one 12mpm pace mile done.

And actually my calf feels better now that I'm done - I think I loosened it up a bit on the run. 

Probably do a few more of those to rest it up even if it starts to feel better tomorrow.

Congrats on getting it done. Here's hoping tomorrow is easier!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ojo

Yay!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Congrats on getting it done. Here's hoping tomorrow is easier!

Today was easier - still a little painful, but easier.  Today it actually just felt like a gigantic knot in my right calf.  I still kept it at a mile and probably will tomorrow too - this will hurt my mileage for the month but better that than being down for the count by making it worse by coming back to fast.

Though I must admit I am pretty sure I saw a bit of disappointment last night on my wife's face when I told her that I got my run in.  I think she might be ready for the streak to end.  Which I dont get, because I do everything I can to make sure that my running doesnt interfere with anything family related - hell, most of my runs are done at 5:00 in the morning and I'm back before half of them are even out of bed.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

yea!!!  good for youSmile

steph  

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Though I must admit I am pretty sure I saw a bit of disappointment last night on my wife's face when I told her that I got my run in.  I think she might be ready for the streak to end. 

Nah, she was just disappointed because she thought for a moment your sanity was returning, then realized she was wrong.  I get that look all the time Big grin!