A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 05/11/09 (Read 206 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

This is my 5th trip to Disney in 3 1/2 years... I never get more than a couple of miles in for a run when we are there because (1) it's hot; (2) it's exausting just being there; and (3) I get lazy. But I'm hoping to have some good runs, I'm just planning on not getting much mileage that week.

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think you could easily get more than 5 miles in at Disney - they do hold a marathon in there Wink
      The problem is that each park is pretty much closed to the other parks except when they open up the back roads for races. This is compounded by the puzzling fact that WDW is specifically designed to discourage walking between the parks or from DD to the parks so that instead you will use shuttles or cars. Within each park, it is hard to run when there are crowds there, just too congested. But running in and around DD is pretty good. There are some trails on the golf course which are easy to cover early before the golfers are out, and then on the sidewalks and roads around that area.

Running around the ship

Great job everybody!

A Saucy Wench

Hey checking in on dial up. zzzzzz. I will say this group is very motivating. Sunday morning on only a couple hours of sleep I got up and went for a run in my mom's neighborhood. Holy crap. I have been avoiding hills during my healing phase. Uh not here. The flattest parts here are like the steepest parts at home but they go on for miles. And my mom somehow manages to have her home at near the highest point in the whole area. In most places this would be where the nice houses are. I dont get why its trailers here. I should get a bonus mileage factor for that route. 10:45 pace was more like 9:00 effort. Woke up monday with my glutes feeling like I could barely move. If not for this group, despite knowing that I would feel better if I ran I would not have run. I havent been that sore since post marathon. Drove down the hill to the river so I could run a flatter route. dh ran with me which eliminated the possibility of convincing myself to do the planned 8. Today I wussed and ran down the hill to the dam and ran back and forth across the dam, then back home. I kept running on the dam because I knew once I decided to head home it was a mile + straight up. Tomorrow will be tough, we need to leave for SF at 7 am to make the ballgame. I wonder if the hotel has a TM?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Still going... last week was hell week at work for me and I made it through without skipping. Last month that time was when I broke my streak. So I am happy.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

My schedule is starting to calm down, so hopefully my mileage will increase soon. The warm weather is here and so is the humidity...UGH! Humidity is always my biggest challenge. I may be getting a part time job at night in addition to my day job, so that'll bring some scheduling challenges for sure. I am running in the Beach to Bay Relay marathon this weekend in Corpus Christi. This is an event we have done for the last 5 years...its a 6 person relay. Its always a fun weekend. I am trying to move my minimum daily mileage up from 1 mile to 2 miles. I started that 2 days ago...we'll see where that leads me...Smile In about 8 days I will pass my longest streak to date, 135 days...a mini milestone.
                Just what I needed...a new group. Nonetheless - as of May 12, I sit at 165 straight days according to my calculations. Began on November 29, 2008. This week is the challenge, as I get married on Saturday morning. I plan on hitting up some good mileage on the honeymoon early in the mornings....although I have a feeling that could change. I do need a scale back week anyways. Big grin Won't miss a day though.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just what I needed...a new group..
                  +1 But joining b/c I started trying to run every day about a month ago, imitating Trent...
                  ...This week is the challenge, as I get married on Saturday morning. ....
                  That's a tough challenge -- just surviving all that logistical stuff and trying to keep the bride calm was challenging enough, for me Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ojo

Welcome guys!
                    Just what I needed...a new group. Nonetheless - as of May 12, I sit at 165 straight days according to my calculations. Began on November 29, 2008. This week is the challenge, as I get married on Saturday morning. I plan on hitting up some good mileage on the honeymoon early in the mornings....although I have a feeling that could change. I do need a scale back week anyways. Big grin Won't miss a day though.
                    Good luck Saturday! Wish I was a runner when I got married -- although running on the streets of NYC might not have been relaxing! Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Welcome to the group and what a nice start you already have going. HOpefully we can help to keep it going. Best of luck this weekend with the wedding (a quick mile before the ceremony and you will be all set Big grin )
                      anneb

Welcome. And makers, I concur, take Jeff's advice and get that mile out of the way first thing!
                        (a quick mile before the ceremony and you will be all set)

Anne

Best of luck this weekend with the wedding (a quick mile before the ceremony and you will be all set Big grin )
                          Planning on being up around six to try to knock out four or five. Gotta do something to calm the nerves. Figured doing the long run might be overkill. Big grin If she'd only give me permission to hit out a 5k that morning.
                          jeffdonahue

Gotta do something to calm the nerves.
                            I recommend drinking - heavily.
                              Hey guys. This past week was a little rough. I had a resurgence of PF starting about last Monday. This is unfortunately nothing new since I have tamed PF a couple times in the past. The only positive here is that it taking alot more miles each time to bring on it's onset. But in typical fashion, I get carried away and start pushing myself a bit harder than I should. Not sure how, but I still managed a little over 50 miles last week. I did cut out all hard efforts and ran the entire week easy. This was a little disappointing since I am suppose to be "peaking' at the moment. I may cut my losses and start to regroup for late summer and fall racing. Any PF advice will be happily accepted. I am trying to focus on strengthening exercises and stretching exercises. These seemed to have helped with my previous onsets. The only problem is that I lose my dilegence after the pain resolves which leads me to falling back to my old habits. Streak on! Ryan

Ryan