A Mile A Day

PF (Read 196 times)

jeffdonahue

Well, I thought I felt it coming and I was right - though not right enough to slow down earlier than today.  This morning I woke up and my plantar fascia in my left foot was absolutely killing me.  I walked around and stretched my calves for a while hoping it would relax a bit.

After the drive to the gym the pain was mostly gone.  I did a very slow mile and called it quits for the day.  It actually was feeling better after I ran, but I think that might aggravate it more than help it right now.  I stuck a water bottle in the freezrer here at work to hopefully ice massage it later today.

I know the routine - rest, stretch, massage with golf ball, ice massage, but the real problem I have is in the morning.  It really hurts when I step out of bed - anyone have any tips for helping out while I am sleeping (aside from spending a hudnred dollars on some boot thingee I saw on the net).

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I never get out of bed without first writing the alphabet in the air with my toes.  It loosens things up so it doesn't hurt to walk.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

And if you MUST sleep on your stomach, hang your feet off the end of the bed.  But try not to because you're still allowing your calves to be shorter when you want them longer.  Stretch your calves genlty (try hooking a towel around your foot!) before you ever take that first step out of bed.  It helps.

Roads were made for journeys...

A Saucy Wench

I never get out of bed without first writing the alphabet in the air with my toes.  It loosens things up so it doesn't hurt to walk.

Yup, I write the alphabet, then do 10 circles in each direction and then 10 points and flexes.  I should do it all the time, but I tend to only do it when PF or achilles is flaring.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run barefoot.

Wear Strasbourg socks at night.

A Saucy Wench

The yoga morning thing would be after the foot circles   Take your foot in your hand.  Hold just above the ankle with both hands and shake, totally relaxing the ankle and letting your foot flop around.   Lace the fingers of the opposite hand through the toes like you were clasping hands. Use the hand to point and flex the foot while stretching the toes focusing on pointing and flexing the ball of the foot.   Then take the hand and make a fist and drag the knuckles down the arch of the foot to massage the foot. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wingz

Professional Noob

Run barefoot.

Hey, Trent - I thought the BF running thing was for PREVENTING PF, not treating it.  Thought the fascia needed some non-stress time in order to relax and get back to normal.

BTW, I saw something that looked like Strasbourg socks at Walgreens the other day...

Roads were made for journeys...

Ojo

Had to Google that.  Interesting.

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, Trent - I thought the BF running thing was for PREVENTING PF, not treating it.  Thought the fascia needed some non-stress time in order to relax and get back to normal.

I have found that I feel better after BF running.  And worse after shod running.

Had to Google that.  Interesting.

Yeah, cool sutff eh?  They work for most folks.

A Saucy Wench

I keep looking at those socks in the running store, but I cant even sleep in normal socks, I imagine in about 20 minutes of tossing and turning those things would end up under the bed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why can you not sleep in regular socks?

A Saucy Wench

Why can you not sleep in regular socks?

Because my feet turn into little furnaces at night.  No joke I can be camping in 40 degree weather and I have to have my feet out of the sleeping bag.

jeffdonahue

Thanks - tried the writing the alphabet thing this morning and it wasnt nearly as painful stepping out of bed.

I am going to do a mile again today because I am supposed to run 7 tomorrow morning with some friends I am trainign for a HM. 

I also iced it with a frozen water bottle last night and actually did the alphabet thing a few times when I woke up in the night.  I am hoping I can keep this under control before it gets out of hand - maybe just stick to one milers this week to rest it up.

I keep looking at those socks in the running store, but I cant even sleep in normal socks, I imagine in about 20 minutes of tossing and turning those things would end up under the bed.

I'm with you.  Being the menopausal furnace that I am, I manage to lose every article of clothing throughout the night.  I do the abc thing & some extra stretching, but morning does suck.  Switching from Brooks to Saucony's helped some too (much more cushion in the Saucony's).

And my PF is in both feet.  I'm having a hard time spending that much on socks.  I keep using the ice bottle & the golf ball.  I need to quit being cheap & try the socks!

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3