A Mile A Day

Does streaking work? (Read 278 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Today, day 44. When I run every day, I don't not run and I don't drop into nonrunning ruts. My miles are higher. I am consistent. With no speed training in many many months, on streak base miles alone, a 20 second 5k PR this morning. Yep. Streaking seems to be helping. Thanks!!
      Wow!! Really Cool, great work! Nonrunning ruts suck, streaking is awesome! Big grin

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Nice job Trent!! I fully agree on all points. It helps keep me consistent. Now, a worst case scenario is that I have a few 1-2 mile days in a row, and I fully believe that my huge PR in the marathon this fall was due to streaking and the increased mileage that it brought with it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am trying to keep my minimum milage to 3 miles. I have done this through travel and 18 hour days. I hope not to have to test it through illness, but that is inevitable.
          Ojo

I am trying to keep my minimum milage to 3 miles. I have done this through travel and 18 hour days. I hope not to have to test it through illness, but that is inevitable.
            That is what I have been trying to do too -- my minimum run is my 3.5 mile loop. If I get sick and don't feel up to it, I do have a 1.25 loop around the block that I could hopefully do. For those of you who have been streaking for awhile, how do you handle sick days?

Sara

MM #2929

That is what I have been trying to do too -- my minimum run is my 3.5 mile loop. If I get sick and don't feel up to it, I do have a 1.25 loop around the block that I could hopefully do. For those of you who have been streaking for awhile, how do you handle sick days?
              Don't get sick Wink
              jeffdonahue

Find the time during the day when you feel best and get your @$$ out the door. Last year I had the flu for four days where I was dizzy, puking, diarrhea, etc... If I stood up at any point during the day and didnt feel dizzy like I was going to fall down, I threw on my shorts and ran a mile. One night I was dizzy but had to go to town hall for a variance hearing anyway, so since I was up already i ran when I got back. Typically I found that there is a period usually right after dinner time, and just before that night time period where you always feel worse, that you feel better for about a half hour or so. Or... dont get sick as mainrun said.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A better question is this: how do you go for a run while sick without your spouse killing you for being stupid?
                    On sick days I have a 1.2 mile loop that I run. I get that in and don't worry about anything else. When I have a bad cold I actually feel better during my run than I do just sitting around. Its just hard to get the motivation to get out there. Nausea is a different story though...that sucks all the way around.

q day

I have done a minimum of 3 miles a day for the last 80% of my streak (last 761 days) and I know the streak is why I have set PRs at every distance over 10k, with a 29 minutes PR in the marathon! Although I have not had a really sick day, my wife wouldn't think I'm any more insane than she already does, if I went for a run when sick.

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

I think streaking helps, it gets me out the door every day since I started this streak. I notice that it is starting to become a part of my day like everything else. I find when I get up in the morning I try to figure what the day is going to be like like so I can plan when to get out as the days add up I do not want to miss any or break the streak so I think it helps

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Day 74. No speedwork. 3:10 PR at the 10k today. Big grin Yep. Streaking seems to be helping. Thanks!!
                          Ojo

3:10 PR at the 10k today.
                            Congrats Trent!

Sara

MM #2929

Streaking and the occasional 40 miler Wink

Ryan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Day 89. Still no speedwork. Today I set a near-2 minute PR in the HM, 1:38:3x (?) Along the way, I threw down PRs for 5 miles (~1:30 PR), 10k (~1:30 PR from 2 weeks ago) AND 10 miles (~3:30)!! Big grin Keepin' it going...