A Mile A Day

I think I need to back off a bit maybe (Read 86 times)

My runs SUCK lately. I have joint pains, muscle pains and aches whenever I start running. I tend to loosen up after a few miles but it is getting to the point that I dont even want to run sometimes because the first few miles feel like such utter crap. Dont get me wrong I still love to run, I just cant figure out what is going wrong here. I am up to just over 50 miles a week, but I built it up pretty slowly over the last few months. I didnt really jump up quickly in mileage. I may need new sneakers so I am going to go get a new pair tomorrow and see if that helps. Part of it might be not so much the miles, but the allocation of the miles. When i was running 50 miles a week last summer those were with one long run on Sundays of 16-20 miles (marathon training) but all the rest of the miles were spread out in smaller chunks and I typically had 2 days a week that I was only running 1.5-2.5 miles as my rest days. Now I am running the 50 miles with no "rest" days of shorter mileage, but no Long run either. So each day I am running between 5-11 miles - sometimes broken up into doubles. So I think instead of trying to hit the 55 miles I was going for this week, which would include a 3 mile run today at lunch and a 5 miler tomorrow and then 8 on Sunday, I think I am going to skip the run at lunch and just do 1-2 easy miles tomorrow morning and then see how I feel on Sunday. Maybe I will try for a longer run (10ish) if I feel better. Then I want to maybe revamp my workouts back to what I was doing last year with the two rest (1-2mile) days and a regular long run on Sundays. The rest of the mileage during the week I might keep to normal one a day runs. My legs feel fine right now, but starting out today just sucked. I think I might need rest. I did have a goal of reaching a 100 mile week this year, but that may have to be negged for the time being. I think my body might need those two lower mileage days, and 100 miles a week just cant be reached with two days of only 2 miles each. Just griping after a bad run this morning and trying to figure out how to keep going. Thanks for listening/reading. Jeff

2015 Goals

Run 1,800 miles

Do 10 minutes of core work every day

10 mile goal: 1:12:00 (Black Cat 10 miler - March)

Looking at your log, one thing that stuck out to me is over the last 10+ weeks you seem to increase mileage every week. However, last summer you would have a big week followed by cutting back. Maybe that is something to think about? My graph (Eric's log is great for this type of thing)

A Dance with Monkeys

Yeah, you have not had a low milage week in 2009. Take a 30 mile week.
          Thanks guys. That was kind of my idea as well. I think next week I will back off to around 30 miles with a few 1 milers in there to really rest the legs and see if that helps. I have just been so focused on my mileage goals for this year - gettign to a 100 mile week and reaching 2000 for the year that I may have been too gung-ho on not taking a rest week. I'll check back in here at the end of next week to see if the legs feel better. Thanks again Jeff

2015 Goals

Run 1,800 miles

Here comes my low mileage week. I just did my third one mile day in a row, then will have 4-6 milers through Friday, another one miler on Saturday and a ten miler on Sunday. I must say that I think the rest might be doing some good - when I got the treadmill this morning (because we had another 5 inches of snow on the ground when I got up today) I didnt feel the fatigue in my legs that I have been feeling at the beginning of runs lately.

2015 Goals

Run 1,800 miles