A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 05/11/09 (Read 206 times)

jeffdonahue

Last week was pretty good, though most of my mileage came early in the week with a few longer runs. My legs were tired for the end of the week runs, but are feeling better now. Hoping to hit 50 again this week if all goes well but I pretty much play that by ear now and am not pushing it too hard if my legs dont feel up to it. Milestones this week: jeffdonahue - 500 days Trent - 150 days Jill_B - 2 months Have a great week everybody. Jeff
    Wingz

Professional Noob

jeffdonahue - 500 days Trent - 150 days Jill_B - 2 months Jeff
      Happy 500, Jeff! Wow! Big grin Congrats to Trent - keeping your streak alive after that ultra was an act of bravery and willpower! Jill_B - Yay! Go celebrate that two months and keep up the good work! Cool Am currently in transition up to 1.4 miles/day barefoot. Am discovering interesting new ways for my feet to hurt! But I think that it'll get better. It'd better! Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent - keeping your streak alive after that ultra was an act of pure idiocy and pain!
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Or something. Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

I'm starting week 7 here, and the streak was able to survive morning back pain yesterday to continue on. I spent some time this weekend checking my weekly average mileages over 6 and 12 week time frames and found some interesting patterns in my injuries and successes. They basically suggest that I was going too far, too fast, but I was never able to quantify the stupidity unlike some people that I've only heard stories about. Clowning around
            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Jeff - congrats on the 500! That is amazing. Trent - I don't know what to say. Ultras aren't beyond my comprehension. Continuing a streak after an ultra? Wow! Jill - keep going! Last week was a good week for me - in spite of being sick. Ran a total of 25.7 and finally did my first double digit run - 10.01 miles. MTA: Forgot to mention - A friend of ours ran a 5K race in Wheaton this past weekend and I took her grandparents to the race so they could see her. She placed 2nd in her age group, so it was a great day for her. I should have run this race. There were only 2 women in my age group and the second place person ran in 44 minutes - so I could have gotten my first medal! LOL. Very unique prizes for the first place winners in each age group - this was a race to benefit a local school, so the kids brought in sneakers, painted them green, put shiny gold laces in them, and threaded the ribbon from the medal up through the laces so the medal was on top of the toe part of the shoe. You've got to love these small races.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks folks. The ultra was a good race for me, and I finished strong and got loads of confidence from it. Last week included some of the most difficult running I have ever done. It felt like I was starting over, with less than nothing in the tank and legs. Over the week, things slowly improved and yesterday (8 days out) I was able to tackle the local tough course, although that was still a bear. Today I had a bad run, but a run anyways. Based on how I feel, I expect it to be another week or so before I am back to normal. But the training must go on. The goal race is still weeks away: Grandma's marathon in June.
                Ojo

Last week was probably the worst week I have had in a long time! I know I was recovering from the marathon but I managed to tweak my back while making the bed one morning (all the more reason not to do it!) Yesterday's long run ended early with me calling DH to pick me up at mile 11. I started heading into strong winds and I just couldn't do it and, honestly, it just wasn't worth it! I am hoping to feel more like myself over the next few days. If not I'll scale back one more week. Also, I need to find a fall marathon! Having a goal is always good for me. Congrats to to Jeff (500 days is amazing!), Trent and Jill! Hope everyone has a good week.

Sara

MM #2929

anneb

I ended up having a good week last week, too. Actually my highest mileage ever, by just a little. Which surprised me, because I felt crappy and tired on Friday and didn't even think I would do anything but short runs over the weekend. Surprises are good sometimes! Ojo/ Trent, great job keeping the running going after your marathon/ 40 mile. That is impressive! Of course, I can't imagine either of those distances at the moment. Tongue Maybe someday though. mta: Oh and congrats Jeff on 500 days - amazing.

Anne

Good job getting to those milestones - those are nice accomplishments. Last week was a 35 mile week for me. All were easy except for a 10 mile run with four middle miles at tempo pace and a 5 X 1K workout averaging four seconds slower than goal 5K pace. This week is a cutback week. Saturday (5/16) I have a 5K race, and I hope to break 20 minutes.
                      Jill_B

I fly.

Thanks guys! And great job Jeff & Trent! I'm hoping that this week and next week are VERY heavy weeks for me with tons of mileage (or about 50 miles each week) because the week after that will be super light (we'll be in Disney). Also, I know it's not for a few weeks, but I'm not going to have computer access for the week in Disney so don't kick me out of the group - I'll be running, just not logging my runs until we get back.

Bring it on.

jeffdonahue

Thanks guys! And great job Jeff & Trent! I'm hoping that this week and next week are VERY heavy weeks for me with tons of mileage (or about 50 miles each week) because the week after that will be super light (we'll be in Disney). Also, I know it's not for a few weeks, but I'm not going to have computer access for the week in Disney so don't kick me out of the group - I'll be running, just not logging my runs until we get back.
                          Dont worry about it - I dont kick people out of the group unless they havent visited teh group in at least six months. have fun in Disney. I was just down there this week adn got a few nice runs in, but it was pretty hot so go out in the mroning (93 degrees and sunny every day). Downtown Disney is a nice run to place.
                          jeffdonahue

Good job getting to those milestones - those are nice accomplishments. Last week was a 35 mile week for me. All were easy except for a 10 mile run with four middle miles at tempo pace and a 5 X 1K workout averaging four seconds slower than goal 5K pace. This week is a cutback week. Saturday (5/16) I have a 5K race, and I hope to break 20 minutes.
                            Good luck with the 5K mainrun. I broke 20 mins last July and just realized this weekend that I havent run a 5K since then. Which is really weird for me since I used to do 7-8 a year.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Downtown Disney is a nice run to place.
                              Yes. And you can run around the lake and some of the resorts. Sadly, it is hard to get much distance there, but you can reasonably get 5 or so miles. Here are a couple runs I did around DD: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7439696 http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7445311 (slow, right after the WDW marathon)
                              jeffdonahue

Yes. And you can run around the lake and some of the resorts. Sadly, it is hard to get much distance there, but you can reasonably get 5 or so miles. Here are a couple runs I did around DD: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7439696 http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7445311 (slow, right after the WDW marathon)
                                I think you could easily get more than 5 miles in at Disney - they do hold a marathon in there Wink Depends on how far you want to go - bring up a map, pick a park (Epcot, Magic Kingdom, etc...) and run there and back and you can get some good mileage in. I was actually staying out at a conference center by Sea World - it was 14 miles round trip to get to Downtown Disney and back.