A Mile A Day

Help! (Read 127 times)

Running around the ship

Ok...I'm sick of running and feeling like crap. For the most part I am over my cold. BUT, for a little over a month my running is really sucking! As a refresher, or for those of you that don't know me, I am a low mileage runner...but a streaker none the less. It started, or so I thought, about 4 -6 weeks ago with shoes that had around 500 miles on them. I'm a little heavier than most, so that didn't help. Young1 scolded me telling me I was around 100+ miles overdue...I guess more like 50. I loved my 1st running shoes by the way, Mizunos Anyway, since 4 6 weeks ago my lower legs started fatiguing early, the weather was turning cold, I went on vacation, etc, etc. and now nothing is working. I got new shoes (after testing 2 other pairs) and my lower legs are still fatiguing after 1.25 miles or so. I ran 5k today and it was miserable...what the hell is going on? There was a time that I thought if I slowed down, from whatever slow ass speed I was running, that I could easily go the distance. I ran a very slow pace today and my legs (lower, mostly) are killing me! At one point I wondered if I was getting close to injuring myself. I've never had an injury, so hell, I don't know! Sorry for venting...just curious if anyone else goes through physical cycles like this? Is this a cycle? The funny thing is my motivation for a longer run today (this is longer for me) is to start ramping up for some races and a couple of long races (8-10K)...to help me get more motivated. Curious about your thoughts and opinions here... Thanks! Mike
    jeffdonahue

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear that your runs suck lately. I had that for about two months during December and January. Do you have any goals in mind for this year? My problem was (and still is) that I dont really have any goals for the year. Running every day doesnt count as a goal in this example, though it is the only thing that got me out the door for a lot of days. I mean a race or something coming up that you are training for? I find that having a goal gives each run more of a sense of purpose and that the fact that the runs suck right now is not so much a physical thing as a mental thing. try picking a race in April or so to train for and then set yourself up a schedule for it. That might help. Best of luck Jeff And hey if you think of something cool to train for, let me know. I am still searching for something, though my runs ahve gotten better since I set the goal of trying to build up to a 100 mile week. It helps, but it's still not enough. I need a race to be training for to get me motivated and make my runs better.
        Your post reminded me how I felt November last year. I needed a new pair of sneakers. My hips and lower legs were sore/hurting. For me, that is a sign when current sneakers are warn out. Olympia Sports mail out 20% discount coupons, and they usually are ready when I need them. However, the coupons I had back then were not "good" for a week or two. Coincidentally, a few people started posting about barefoot running (see http://www.runningahead.com/groups/barefoot/Forum.) I thought I would give it a try, running barefoot on my treadmill. I started slowly (10 minutes/1 mile at a time). Blisters and "hot spots" formed on my feet, but overall things went well. The hip and lower leg pain disappeared. The symptoms go away when I get new sneakers. I thought it was interesting the pain also went away when I started running barefoot. I purchased running sneakers in late November, but continued to run barefoot on the treadmill every other day. I ran 1 hour / 6 miles barefoot on my treadmill last Sunday - the longest yet. I like the idea of saving money from not having to buy running sneakers as often. I wonder if my form is becoming more efficient. It is different/interesting. I plan to start walking barefoot outside late spring/early summer, and gradually start running barefoot outside. I am not sure if this interests anyone, but thought I'd throw the idea out there.
        jeffdonahue

Interesting post mainrun, maybe I will give it a try. I just picked up a treadmill from my parents house but havent used it yet. Maybe I will try a slow easy mile barefoot on it tonight. I take it you havent tried running barefoot outside yet. I always wondered about that, because while I do believe it will improve your form and running efficiency, how do you deal with rocks and sticks and such that you inevitably would step on causing severe pain I would think.
            Interesting post mainrun, maybe I will give it a try. I just picked up a treadmill from my parents house but havent used it yet. Maybe I will try a slow easy mile barefoot on it tonight. I take it you havent tried running barefoot outside yet. I always wondered about that, because while I do believe it will improve your form and running efficiency, how do you deal with rocks and sticks and such that you inevitably would step on causing severe pain I would think.
            I have not run barefoot outside yet. In the spring my wife and I start walking, and I thought I would go barefoot at that time, see how it goes. Like lots of people, when I was a kid I'd go all over the place barefoot. One thing about running barefoot on the treadmill is your feet will make a loud noise. It scared my wife quite a bit Wink She said it sounded like I was pounding the treadmill with a hammer. I think I have gotten a little better.
              Mike I think there can be many factors which may be leading to poor performance. Your running seems to be consistent so I would be interested to hear if the rest of your life is aligning to your running. Alot of factors such as diet, sleep, and stress can have significant affects on your performance. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough of the right kind of foods? Are there other life factors causing stress? I think that any of these can cause significant drains in your overall running performance. Also, I am curious about your injury. Is it something specific bothering you or just overall pain in your legs? I have suffered through many common running injuries so it is something I (unfortunately) have experience in. Black eye I have been suffering through alot of minor issues during my current mileage build-up. PF in my left foot and ITBS in my left knee, runner's knee in both. I try to ice alot and listen to my body. Usually, my body will adapt if I give it time and adjust my schedule accordingly. I have also noticed an interesting phenomenon. Sometimes, as I slow my pace on easy days, the run actually feels more difficult. I think it is just a mental thing. I try to force myself to slow down for the sake of my body, but my mind keeps telling me that all I am doing is slowing my triumphant return back to my home. It might feel nice to pick up the pace once in awhile. I have also found that adding striders to my weekly routine gives my legs a little bit more life and helps me to feel more comfortable during my easy pace. I would just try to focus on consistency for now. As Jeff points out, some goal races might help create a sense of purpose in your running. Try to stay positive and focus on the parts of running that are enjoyable to you.

Ryan

Hi Mike, like you I am not a high milage runner yet. I would like to up my miles when my legs get used to the every day pounding. I have good days and bad days to, if I go out for a long run (for me) I need to do a 1 or 2 1 miles runs to recuperate. I noticed in your log you run your easy runs about the same pace as your other runs, I try to slow down and keep it a real easy run so the legs can get better, works for so far, if it was'nt for the 1 mile days I wouldnt have a streack going. My goals right now are just getting out the door every day, the Corporate cup in the fall and to stay in shape for basketball with the grandkids well just hang in there it all works out Smile

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Running around the ship

Thanks for the great responses! I'm definitely going to find a race to start training for. I'd like to break 25:00 in a 5K. Also I'd like to run a 10K and perhaps even a 1/2. I don't have a treadmill so the BF running is out...sounds painful anyway! I am intrigued to try someday though! As far as "injuries" I guess I still don't have any. My lower legs are becoming fatigued in a weird way...different than before and substantial. My Quads are tight...maybe more stretching is required. This is all fairly new and I would more expect it if I were increasing my mileage or speed...neither of which is the case. Also, things are goofy in my life right now but I still manage to fit the run in..stressful as it may be. But that seems no different than before. What are "striders"? I love this group and being able to get some feedback from like-minded runners is invaluable!! Thanks for the personal recounts and advice. I'll let you know how the next few weeks go...hopefully with a positive result. Mike
                    What are "striders"?
                    I define them as 20 seconds of "very fast" running followed by 40 seconds of active recovery. I try to do 4 to 10 of them at least once a week. For me, the 20 seconds are not all-out, but are quite a bit faster than 5K pace.
                      What are "striders"?
                      You might hear them referred to as "striders" or just plain "strides". Bascially, they are fast short runs ranging from 50 to 200 Meters. These are not all-out sprints but instead fast controlled running. I will typically be running about 85% - 90% of my all out sprinting pace. The key is to stay relaxed, focus on good form, and stay comfortable. You will want to give yourself plenty of time to recover between each stride. The goal here is not to tire out your body (as you would in an interval session) but instead to get your body used to running quickly. These should not only make you quicker if done consistently throughout training cycles, but they should also allow you to run more relaxed during your normal easy runs. This is where I would hope to see you gain. If you are running more relaxed, it may help you with all of your training runs. If you do go forward with the addition of stides to your routine, I would add them cautiously at first. You could start with a few of strides at the end of your easy run probably one time a week. I would highly recommend running these either on a track or on a flat grass field for the sake of your legs. Although comfortably fast, these will still be putting more stress on your body than a typical easy pace, especially if you haven't done any of this type of training recently. If you are interested in more information, there is a wealth of information on the internet regarding strides. I did a search for "strides" and came back with many good explanations.

Ryan