A Mile A Day

81 days isn't a milestone (Read 168 times)

and yet it is!

I ran a 10k today at day 81 and totally SMOKED it.  I am so thrilled, and I know a LOT of it is due to running every day.  Here's my write up copied from my blog (and sorry LLR, I'm going to post it there too)..

Tonight was the Saunders 10k in Rye Harbor, NH. Last year I ran this race and came in with a then PR of 57:48. Since then I got a new PR in June at the Market Square Day 10k, coming in 57:15. Given that today was day 81 of consecutive running days, I was hoping to see a new PR. However, it was supposed to be in the 80s today, so I wasn't holding my breath for any fantastic running.

Boy, was I wrong. I got a PR by MORE than two minutes! Official finish time...54:58!! A course PR by almost three minutes and a distance PR by two.

My plan was to run 9 minute miles if possible. That would have given me a finish time around 56:00. My first mile I was close to that pace, I ran it in 8:50. The first four miles were close to the 8:50 pace. I felt good. It had cooled off as the sun went lower in the sky (the race started at 6PM). And there were hills, small hills, but hills. I love hills. I kicked into gear on each hill and really pushed up them. At two points in the race, I actually swore at myself out loud. One was somewhere in the middle when I hit a hill and DIDN'T kick it into gear, so yelled at myself to GET UP THAT HILL. The second time was just at the last turn. I looked down at my watch and new I could really smoke my previous time, so I didn't want to come in slow. A few choice words with myself and I sped it up for the final 0.1 mile.

The BEST part, aside from an awesome race time, is that the Saunders 10k only gives shirts to a certain number of people. You have to finish in the top number of people for you age group and gender. I didn't even come close to getting one last year. But, GUESS WHO EARNED A SHIRT? That's right, ME. I've gotten a lot of race shirts in the last couple of years, but THIS one is the best by far because I EARNED it.

Here are the splits (YAY! negative splits!!)
    Mile 1 - 8:51
    Mile 2 - 8:55
    Mile 3 - 8:51
    Mile 4 - 8:49
    Mile 5 - 8:40
    Mile 6 - 8:42
    0.2 - 2.15

http://www.runningnotes.net

Very nice job!  Congrats.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jeffdonahue

Wow, nice job Kathy!!!
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats on the PR, the shirt, and sticking it out!  Way to go!  Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Great job, Kathy!  Congrats on the PR & I'm happy you have a race shirt that really holds some meaning for you!
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              Thanks everybody!  Smile

http://www.runningnotes.net