A Mile A Day

Could you be bought? (Read 136 times)

In the grand scheme of life, how much does the streak really mean to you? If someone offered you $10 to break the streak would you take it? How much would it take for you to stop the streak. If someone offered $50 or more, sure I'd take the dayoff.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Oh Mighty Wing

I donno i'm pretty excited about it... maybe $100 for a day off... but nothing is worth stopping streaking forever at this point.

q day

Streaking has changed my life for the better. I drink less alcohol, sleep better, weigh less, confidence up, race better........the list goes on. Simply put, I'm a better man as a result of this streak. I want to believe there isn't a price, worth breaking this 2 year streak, after all the sacrifice, and all the gain. Next month, Mark Covert will hit 40 years on his streak. Do you think he'd skip a day for money?

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

It would take more than $10, but not high as $50. I'd say $25.
          jeffdonahue

I think everyone for this would have a price - it would just depend how high it was. And the price I think honestly would depend on how long you have been doing it. To give up a 30 day streak would definitely be cheaper for me than to give up Young1's 2 year streak. It might also depend on your age and financial situation. I know that when I was 20 and in college I would have taken $10 probably because it would have bought me a case of beer. Now, I am not necessarily hard up for cash so not taking $50 wouldnt be the end of the world for me. Personally I dont know what my buy-out price would be until someone offered it to me.
            Streaking has changed my life for the better. I drink less alcohol, sleep better, weigh less, confidence up, race better........the list goes on. Simply put, I'm a better man as a result of this streak. I want to believe there isn't a price, worth breaking this 2 year streak, after all the sacrifice, and all the gain. Next month, Mark Covert will hit 40 years on his streak. Do you think he'd skip a day for money?
            On another note, I have noticed that I definitely drink a lot less now than before I started streaking as well. Not that I drank a lot, but now I KNOW i have to run the next day and doing it with even a little hangover is nto a pleasant thought and I typically just pass.

Oh Mighty Wing

Jeff I totally agree! It's pretty easy for me to name a price 30 days in but 700-something days and I'd be hard pressed to give it up. And yes the financial thing also changes the name of the game. I'm out of college but not much so my price was based on something that eeks my wallet - new running shoes. Not that I mind spending the money, but at 25 $100 still causes pain.
              jeffdonahue

Believe me I feel your pain - $100 every 3 months really kind of sucks. And I get the "Look" from my wife every time I need new sneakers and usually the "Didnt you just buy that pair?" comment.
                  Every three months Olympia Sports mails a coupon in a flyer. I use it to buy a pair of Asics. Last Friday my legs started to bother me, indicating I needed a new pair of sneakers. However, the coupon has not arrived yet. I told my wife I was going to get a pair of Asics, even though we do not have the coupon. She said, "Didn't you just buy a pair of sneakers?" I replied, "Yes, but those were $25 Reeboks from Wal-Mart. They are 'walking-around' sneakers. I can't run in those." She gave me the "Look" Jeff talked about, and said, "Why don't you just try? For me." "Ok," I said. You know, my legs feel fine. I think they are working. It has only been six days though.

Oh Mighty Wing

hehe I get those looks occasionally from DH, but he's still pretty good... course I'm still getting a good 5 or so months out of my shoes. Of course last month I bought two pairs because the first pair gave me big blisters and were very uncomfortable. He was NOT thrilled about that!
                    jeffdonahue

hehe I get those looks occasionally from DH, but he's still pretty good... course I'm still getting a good 5 or so months out of my shoes. Of course last month I bought two pairs because the first pair gave me big blisters and were very uncomfortable. He was NOT thrilled about that!
                      Did you return the first pair? My local running store has a 30 day return policy no matter how much you beat them up.

Oh Mighty Wing

I didn't. I'm not sure if mine does. But it's ok because I am now using them as gym shoes. And will probably use them as my hiking shoes as well. I will find some use for them other than running!
                          Interesting how the streak means so much to some. I didn't say stop running that would be totally different, just take 1 day off and carry on the next. 1 dayoff wouldn't affect your fitness at all for example once already I have run only 2km to keep the streak alive. If someone said I'll give you $50 to not run 2k, I'd be bought. Albeit Young1 has a large streak and Jeff and a couple of others have close to 1/2 a year streak so maybe it would be more costly to try and entice them to stop. Would it make a difference if this forum didn't exist? No one would know about your streak other than yourself.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Oh Mighty Wing

I guess it would depend on if I was streaking or just ran a lot.

q day

I discussed this with my wife last night and she told me I'd miss a day for $10,000 (that's the hypothetical I gave her), and I believe she would have given the same answer for much less $. Although she didn't elaborate, I believe she would break my leg to ensure the payoff. So now I'm thinking, "for how much money would my wife gladly break my leg"?

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Oh Mighty Wing

hahaha that's no good! of course for 10G I mean I might be inclined to break a leg...