A Mile A Day

Let's check in again (Read 302 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, I am getting there - almost to TWO YEARS (effective 12/30/09) so I am pretty excited.

I realized the other day though that I really hate runs longer than 14 miles.  I was out for a run that was supposed to be 15 miles, but I had procrastinated and did it late in the day and had already decided I was going to cut it short.  I just hadnt decided how short.  I ended up doing 13, but as my ipod died with about 4 miles to go, I had some time to reflect on my running.  Here is what I discovered.

My mileage is up lately, but I feel less fit than I did last year.

12 miles is the edge of where I enjoy runs, but do like some up to 14.

I cant remember a run over 14 miles that I enjoyed (aside from maybe during a marathon)

I feel much better after a tempo run than an easy run.

I hate running at 4:00AM, it really sucks.  I did a 10 miler today with 5 miles at 7:10 pace and the tempo part felt way harder than it probably would have if I had run at a normal time of day.

I am losing focus for my half marathon.

Well, that's my running in a nutshell.

Jeff

PS - Is there anyone out there that I need to add to the chart?

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Jeff - thanks for keeping us going.  And I'm impressed with your running streak.

I've had a few false starts, but am trying to get going again.  I did my 2nd half in November and found in the weeks leading up to it that I was dreading the long runs.  Running became a drag - it wasn't fun anymore.  Part of that may have come from being sick for 2 months this fall.  But, I decided it was time to do something different, so I've eliminated all long runs.  Right now I'm trying to run  3 miles/day.  I may or may not go beyond that depending on how I feel in another month.  I'm starting to enjoy the daily runs again (in spite of the snow).  And, it's only 102 days til spring!  Smile

Ojo

Two years is awesome Jeff!

I have cut back a little on my running mainly because I am going to keep my long runs at 10 - 14 miles.  I have been pleased with most of my runs as my pace seems to be getting a little faster.  I love when I run comfortably and come home to see some great numbers on my Garmin.  It really makes me feel like the streaking is still working for me. 

I'll be coming up on 400 days soon! 

Sara

MM #2929

I'm on the right

Wow....2 years is a long time.  Congrats!

I've just started and today is day 13.  Even a number that small helps push me out the door on the days where I just don't quite feel like it (i.e. I'm being lazy).

Thanks for the group!  It is helpful to see other people are able to do this for a long time and not fall apart!

Thanks again!

Eric

P.S.  I put myself on the graph.

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

jeffdonahue

Two years is awesome Jeff!

I have cut back a little on my running mainly because I am going to keep my long runs at 10 - 14 miles.  I have been pleased with most of my runs as my pace seems to be getting a little faster.  I love when I run comfortably and come home to see some great numbers on my Garmin.  It really makes me feel like the streaking is still working for me. 

I'll be coming up on 400 days soon! 

400 days - that is awesome!!!  I am contemplating buying myself the new Garmin 310xt (???) to commemorate my 2 year anniversary.  It's either that or new running socks.  I have now realized that I do not own ONE pair of runnign socks that doesnt have a hole in the toe.  For a while there I was just making sure that the hole was by my pinkie toe, because then it didnt bother me, but now there on most there are two holes so my big toe is almost always sticking out.

Another thing I noticed is that , while the scale does not show me losing any weight, for the past week my watch has been really loose and bothering me as it bounces up and down my wrist when I run.

That is an amazing streak.  2 years and ~ 400 days.  The one mile rule is why I feel I have no excuse not to run every day.  If I said I needed to run 8 miles every day, I would have given up long ago.  I should always find 10 minutes in my day to run, unless I am sick or injured.  I too am not a big fan of very long runs.  I am trying to keep my long run at 10 miles on the weekend so I don't have to start from scratch training for my next half in February.  My weekday runs are pitifully short but that is only due to time restraints.  I admit, I love sleeping more than running.  Get the new socks Jeff. Toe-poke through is a clear signal it is time for new socks.
              Jill_B

I fly.

Great job Jeff & Ojo!

I'm still running.  My hip/leg is still bothering me.  I'm seriously considering taking a few days off.  So far, I'm just dealing with it.  Today I cut short my 10 miler to 6 because of the pain.  I'm not happy about it, but I need to be able to run, so I might have to take a break.  We'll see.

Bring it on.

I have 262 days or so, but I'm feeling burned out.  I have a marathon this weekend, and then need to relax for the rest of the year.  I'll keep the streak- unless I get sick or something- but don't want the pressure of weekly mileage totals, longer runs etc.  8 milers are good for now.  I've been pounding it hard all year, and with the cold, dark mornings, I just don't have the same motivation right now. 

I'm VERY impressed with the long streaks (2 years and 400 days)!  Way to go, guys.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I am in the early stages of regaining the fitness I had in the spring. For the 3rd straight summer, I basically abandoned running but not my eating. By October, I gained quite a bit of weight and had fell behind that damn 2,000 mile pace bunny.

I am back on the wagon with this running thing (albeit much slower). The “eating properly” thing, on the other hand, has been a much harder wagon to get back on.

Congrats Jeff, on your upcoming 2 yr streak, very impressive… oh, and when you have a chance, please add me to the chart.

Thanks

John

Roses Revenge

I really miss being out everyday. 

Unfortunately, life got in the way so I haven't been out as much as I'd have liked.  Vacation found me in areas where the only available place to run was narrow roads with no shoulders in the dark, so I didn't.  Then a week long class took up all of my non-working time.  Then a little more vacation when it was easier to sleep in than get up and go out.

When I'm going every day, I feel better/healthier.   I'm about three weeks away from working full time again and know that will make getting out even harder.  I'm contemplating a treadmill, but I'm not sure where I would put it.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

With a newborn (number 3) I am finding there to be far less time to run.  We have settled into somewhat of a routine so the mileage should start to steadily increase again.  I have the cold though fighting against me.  I am just not a fan of long runs in sub-zero wind chills.

After I run on the dreadmill tonight I will have 345 days under my belt and 20 more to my goal of a year.

I'm on the right

With a newborn (number 3) I am finding there to be far less time to run.  We have settled into somewhat of a routine so the mileage should start to steadily increase again.  I have the cold though fighting against me.  I am just not a fan of long runs in sub-zero wind chills.

After I run on the dreadmill tonight I will have 345 days under my belt and 20 more to my goal of a year.

Wow....I've only got 1 kid (5 months now) and I find it hard get out the door.  Congrats on the kid and keeping up your running streak!  Ummmm...so did you go running the day your wife had the baby?  I think my wife might have killed me Smile.

I ran before she was out of bed the morning we went to the hospital.  It isn't that I am that crazy but rather we knew she was going to the hospital that day to be induced.  The next day I was creative taking my oldest in the jogging stroller on the way to a high school playoff football game and leaving the middle child at home with Grandma for the afternoon.  Meanwhile Mom and baby rested peacefully at the hospital while we cheered on the home team.

If you have an opportunity to invest in a good jogging stroller I have found it to be a great way to spend time with our two older ones.

I'm on the right

Already done.  Here is me and mine:

Of course - the little guy is a runner at heart.  This is the easiest way to calm him down.   We were using that stroller by the time he was 2 months old.

Very cool and thanks for sharing.  While off for two weeks with our newborn I bundled each of the older two up for runs.  I think they may have been the last for a couple months as winter is right around the corner.  We have about 9 inches of snow on the ground so the roads are a lot more narrow with ice on the shoulders.  I can't wait to introduce the youngest to the soothing feel of the road