A Mile A Day

Oops, I think it's time for new shoes (Read 180 times)

jeffdonahue

I didnt realize just how many miles I have been putting in lately or how long it has been since I bought a new pair of running shoes.  It has been about 2.5 months and 570 miles.  My shoes usually dont last me more than 400 before I start to feel something in my knees or shins.

But today, during my run at lunch my quads were just shot.  It could have been from the intervals yesterday, or the little pick-up in pace I had at teh end of my run this morning because I was trying to catch up with someone I saw that I thought I knew (turns out it wasnt who I thought it was).  But my quads were just junk today at lunch and they never loosened up.

So I'll probably try to swing by the running store on teh way home and pick up a new pair of adidas.  I am just dreading the conversation when I get home though - "Another new pair of shoes, didnt you just buy that last pair a few weeks ago?  I only buy a new pair of sneakers every two years...."

I tend to wait longer to buy new shoes, but I don't have many problems from an older pair either.  My "newer" paid has about 520 miles on it, and my older pair has 1100 miles on them.  That 1100 is just since I have been using Running Ahead...not sure how much before that.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Barefoot is cheaper.

Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

The store where I buy my running shoes from has a punch card, so after purchasing my 6th pair, the 7th pair is free.  Now for someone like me it might take me 7 years to use that, but for someone like Jeff he'd use it more often.
          jeffdonahue

The store where I buy my running shoes from has a punch card, so after purchasing my 6th pair, the 7th pair is free.  Now for someone like me it might take me 7 years to use that, but for someone like Jeff he'd use it more often.

That would be awesome!!!  Dont suppose you live in the Boston area?

I do get 10% off for being a member of my local running club but that is more like getting the equivalent of a free pair every 9-10 pairs.  Plus it just seems so much nicer when you could walk in, hand them a card and just get shoes without doling out any cash at all.

FYI - wife wants me to wait till next week when we get paid again.

The store is called On the Run, and as far as I know they have only two stores in the South Houston area.  They keep a database and store the types of shoes you buy after they do an analysis on your running style...nice little benefit there.  I'm guessing that is common in stores like that?

Top 'O the World!

So far, I've done a pretty good job of shopping the bargain table in advance of need for my shoe, & have kept anywhere from 3-5 back-up prs in the closet awaiting...DH just rolls his eyes, but when I buy last years model for 75% off, he never complains & I'm never w/o fresh shoes!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

A Saucy Wench

I get 10% off for the running club but also get $50 rebate every $500 I spend, which doesnt take that long.  They keep a running account, so it isnt like you have to spend it all at one time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I wish I could get 570 miles out of a pair.  I put 500 on my last pair and there is no heal left at all.
                    jeffdonahue

I wish I could get 570 miles out of a pair.  I put 500 on my last pair and there is no heal left at all.

The problem is that I dont think I can.  My quads and this morning my knees and ankles were bothering me.  I'm going to have to go get the shoes tonight.  I am usually good for between 400-500 miles for a pair of shoes.

Jill_B

I fly.

Geez, I wish that I could get 350 on a pair!  I'm always buying new shoes!  (But for a small person, I hit the ground really hard and just tear up my shoes... oh well, at least I really like buying shoes!).

Bring it on.

Ojo

Geez, I wish that I could get 350 on a pair!  I'm always buying new shoes!

Me too -- I barely get over 300 per pair.  I have a whole collection that I need to donate since they are still relatively new for most people.

Sara

MM #2929