A Mile A Day

How to cope with injuries during a streak - specifically shin splints? (Read 221 times)

I'm on the right

Lots of people here have very long and impressive running streaks.  How do you recover from your injuries and keep running?  I'm asking b/c I have shin splints.  Normal procedure is a week or two off (or on the bike) and they do fine.....but I'd like to not give up on my nascent streak so easily   Any advice besides the usual (ice, stretch, stregthen your anterior shin muscles, NSAIDs, etc)?  And yes, I am a moron and the shin splints are due to overtraining.....just look at my log.  In my defense, that 6 mile run and that 5.5 mile run felt great!

Thanks!

Eric

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

Ojo

Maybe keep the runs at 1 mile until you recover?

Sara

MM #2929

Jill_B

I fly.

Knock on wood, I haven't had shin splints in years. 

But I'm very quick to replace my running shoes when I start to feel like they are wearing down, even if they should have plenty of miles on them. 

I've been struggling with hip pain and I keep thinking that I'm going to take some time off.  But truth be told, for every bad run that I have I end up having a great run the next time (or a week later).  Regarless, it's soon enough that I don't want to stop.  I agree with Ojo, try running a mile or two for a few days to help the shins.

Bring it on.

jeffdonahue

I would shorten the runs for a bit - maybe back to one mile a day for a week or so.

Also, you might take a look at your stride.  Shin splints I believe are usually caused by overstriding.  Try shortening your stride so your feet land underneath your body instead of slightly in front.

Old saying I heard once was "Nose over toes" so your toes shouldnt go past your nose when running.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Do a search here on how to do toe taps.  They have solved my shin splint problems very quickly in the past.  I would also shorten my runs for a few days until you aren't hurting.
            Ojo

Do a search here on how to do toe taps.  They have solved my shin splint problems very quickly in the past.  I would also shorten my runs for a few days until you aren't hurting.

Yes . . . and write the alphabet in the air with your foot.  I start doing these exercises when I feel the slightest twinge. 

Sara

MM #2929

I have shin splints right now

I seem to get shin splints every time I build my mileage.  Good news is that they go away if I keep at it.  Rather than taking off 100%, you might try staying consistent or dropping your mileage or intensity slightly.  My rule of thumb is that if it is not getting drastically worse then I continue on.  I think you will find that your body will eventually adapt and you will come out stronger on the other end.  But I caution that you want to be careful with this approach and listen to your body. 

My shin splint recipe:

- back off the mileage

- lower intensity

- ice frequently

Ryan

I'm on the right

Thanks for the advice everyone!  The shin splints are still there, but they aren't hurting as much since I backed off on the miles a bit and started doing toe taps.  I've settled at 2.5 miles a day for a few more days.....I took a looooooong test today, I'd really like to go out and do a really long run to decompress.....probably a bad idea.

Thanks!

Eric 

------------------------

Update:  Ran 4 this morning.....felt much better!  Only minor pain Smile  The advice has really helped!

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.