A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 04/21/09 (a day late) (Read 205 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, sorry this is late but been kind of busy at work lately. Last week I had a pretty good week and actually managed to get in 40+ miles, which made me feel a lot better about my running. I also just got back from a "deep tissue/holy crap, what was that" massage and while my calves and legs are pretty tender I am hoping this will help even more. He said my hip was a bit out of whack so he tried to fix that too. Got in seven miles yesterday as I watched some of the marathon coverage on tv (even though it was nice enough to run outside I wanted to watch the marathon so I hit the treadmill). I am hoping to get around 40 again this week, but maybe with an actual long run of 12 this weekend as part of it. Okay - milestones this week: racerunner1314 - 350 days (another one coming up on their year anniversary) jsobo119 - one month Keep trucking and happy streaking everyone. Jeff
    Jill_B

I fly.

My legs are tired. My long run was cut short and I barely ran yesterday. Today was better -- I decided to try some speed work and it went okay. Although by the end of today's run I thought I might be getting shin splints. So I'm just full of complaints. But it FINALLY stopped raining, so that's nice!

Bring it on.

Ojo

Another good week for me. Did my last long run Sunday so now I have a 2 week taper and then the marathon. I have noticed that I need less fuel now that I am streaking. Is this common with the rest of you? I guess it is because I feel so much stronger and feel less "mental walls". I just hope that all of this might lead up to a PR for me. Smile

Sara

MM #2929

Ojo - I seem to be hungry as ever. Nothing gets rid of my appetite though. _________ I had a good last week. 35 total miles with the following hard(ish) workouts: Sunday - 5 X 1K @ goal 10K pace with 1:30 recovery. Tuesday - 4 X 40 second striders inside a slow pace run. Saturday I ran a 5K in 20:21. Results just posted today. My garmin had 20:26, but I'll go with the posted results. It's a bit faster. Good running all
          jeffdonahue

Wow, just did an inadvertant long run. I woke up late this morning so I missed the run with my running club and decided to head out and do 7 miles on my own. As I neared the three mile mark I made a choice to extend teh run to ten adn headed out in a different direction to a route I used to run last year but hadnt run in a long time. As I neared the end of the ten miles (half mile to go) I was pretty thirsty and looking forward to getting back to the gym for some water. But... I ran into another member of my running club that had alos missed the morning run. I ended up turning around and joining her for an extra 4+ miles. By the time I got back to the gym I had logged 14.3 miles (oh, and I was a little late for work - good thing my boss is on vacation). But it felt pretty good overall - held an 8:37 pace overall, though my quads are pretty sore right now. Then I checked my log. This is only the third long run I have done since the marathon in October - the last two were ten milers, one in feb, one in march. Hopefully I can keep it up, but it gives me some hope for a nice long run when I go down to Florida in two weeks. I found a nice 15 mile loop I want to do there that runs through Downtown Disney from my hotel.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Nice run, Jeff. Big grin My week's been good... and interesting. I switched over to barefoot running on my treadmill, and only one run since 4/14 has had any shoes. That one was a trail run (I have no calluses!), and I basically ran in hard-soled slippers ("kung fu" shoes). The neuroma's mostly taken care of, but still twinges from time to time. It HURTS to run in the metatarsal pads the podiatrist put on my orthotics, so I've just been running without shoes. Tongue Hey, it's working. I dropped back to just 1 mile for a bit to give my feet & ankles some time to adjust, and have come back up to my 1.55 mile runs again. The only feet issue I'm having while running now (barefoot) is some blisters. I have NO calluses as I've spent almost my whole life in shoes. I noticed last run that 1.55 miles every day no longer seems long. In fact, it's starting to feel a bit short again. I expect I'll be lengthening that again soon - as soon as I feel confident in my feet. I also am now sure that streaking has given me the motivation to keep training through this latest injury. It's represented a huge change in training strategy for me, but so far has resulted in much more consistent training. I was having fun with graphing last week, and made this (and have shared it in multiple places, ha ha ha) graph of my daily run distances for the last 6 months: My graph Easy to see where I started streaking. And I've had no NEW injuries since starting. So I am very pleased with the results so far. Smile I recognize that it's very little running compared with other streakers here, but it is the most that I've been able to do, consistently, without injury, in a very long time and I LOVE it!!! Big grin I even love it enough to respect it and be gentle with the mileage increases. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Jeff - Glad to hear you are getting back on track, sounds like you are ready to really get rolling. Ojo - Which marathon are you targeting? I had cut back slightly on mileage with a planned 5K this past saturday. In the end, I skipped the race. I opted to hang out with some old friends while I was in town. Any time I visit these folks, heavy drinking seems to follow closely so I knew that it was this or the race. No race, but good times had by all. I am feeling pretty good with my training. I have 64 miles on schedule for this week including mile intervals (yesterday), long run of 13, and a tempo run. My legs seem to be holding up with the added stress of speed of training, some slight discomforts but nothing making me nervous. Good intervals run yesterday: 3 X 1600M into a fierce wind. Despite 20 mile per hours winds, I was able to hit my goal pace of 5K - 10 seconds per mile pace for each.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Thanks guys. I was happy with the run, but now that I am sitting at my desk my legs are screaming at me "What the hell did you do?" Speaking of barefoot runners, I saw one while I was out this morning finishing up my run. He was plodding along at a nice easy pace and I thought his stride looked a little weird. When I pulled up closer I noticed he had no shoes on. He looked like he was struggling with it a bit. I told him he was a tougher man than I am because I need my thick rubber soles to protect my feet when I run. He smiled, said thanks and then I continued on my run.
                    Have you guys been able to hold the same pace for barefoot running versus shoed running?

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Have you guys been able to hold the same pace for barefoot running versus shoed running?
                      Not sure. I never tried. I did some (not much) barefoot running in the beginning of the year - just a mile to a mile and a half in the evenings on the treadmill a few times a week. I kept my pace down. Normally for an easy pace I would set it at 7.2mph (8:19 pace) but I kept it at 6-6.5mph for the barefoot running.
                      Ojo

Ojo - Which marathon are you targeting?
                        I am doing the Cox Rhode Marathon Providence, RI on May 3. I am tempted to look at the weather report but I don't want to start that craziness too early! Blush

Sara

MM #2929

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join you. My streak started March 2. I'm painfully slow - but I'm trying not to focus on that. For now I'm trying to increase my mileage and avoid injury. I've found the streaking keeps me from getting so tight and sore - and it is getting much easier. I'm running my first race on Saturday with DH. My goal is to not finish last - which should be doable, since they allow walkers on the course!
                          jeffdonahue

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join you. My streak started March 2. I'm painfully slow - but I'm trying not to focus on that. For now I'm trying to increase my mileage and avoid injury. I've found the streaking keeps me from getting so tight and sore - and it is getting much easier. I'm running my first race on Saturday with DH. My goal is to not finish last - which should be doable, since they allow walkers on the course!
                            Hi Jan, Welcome again to the group. Good luck in your race this Saturday.
                              All my barefoot runs have been on a treadmill. Mostly 9:00 pace, sometimes 9:30, and a few 10:00 pace. Those are the only paces I run on my treadmill, so I can answer I run the same pace as when I wear shoes. I have gone for two barefoot walks outside. One time the ground was cold and my feet hurt because of it. The other time it was wet and small pebbles kept sticking to the bottom of my feet, causing pain. I am going to run outside barefoot, but I don't think I would be able to run tempo/race pace.
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

The first few runs were a lot more difficult for me to hold pace, but then it eased up. It seems to take me a little longer to warm up, but once I do I'm still fine. Then again, it's always been my CV system that limits me, not my legs... Roll eyes

Roads were made for journeys...