A Mile A Day

Okay, let's get some updates (Read 244 times)

jeffdonahue

Not much activity here lately, so let's find out how everybody's running (and streak) is going.

Okay.  I hit 954 days today so the streak is still going strong, though I must admit that lately I have started to consider finding an end point - though it wont be until after my Fall marathon I am sure.

Running is going okay.  I had a setback last week with a tweak to my ankle so my mileage fell off from the low 50s to the low 30s, but I hope to be back up to the 50s this week. 

I am also starting to debate whether the training plan that I have chosen to do (Hanson Brothers plan) is too hard on my body.  I am just tired all the time lately - both sleepy and muscularly.  Currently it has me doing a long run, a speedwork day and a marathon pace run.

So I think for my own sanity and health (two injuries in the last 8 weeks is a good sign to back off a bit) I am dropping the speedwork day - at least for a couple of weeks.  I do believe in specificity training so I will keep the marathon pace runs as my second hard day each week.  In a few weeks the speedwork is set to change to more strength work - so longer intervals but at a slower pace (closer to marathon pace) and I may pick it back up then.

But I really need to think longer term and at the rate I am going I think I might be hurt by the time the marathon rolls around.  I plan on keeping the mileage up there in the 50-60 range though, so I'll just run easy those days with the same mileage planned.

How is everyone else doing?

Seanv2

Well, I am finally back on a decent streak (43 days) and in the middle of training for my fall marathon. I've ramped up my mileage considerably and am consistently doing 50 mpw for the first time. So far, so good. If I get through this week I plan on adding some tempo work to my mid week run and (hopefully) keeping the streak going.

Jeff, I like the idea of you deciding when you want to call it quits on the streak, though I have to say if I had an almost 1,000 day streak going, it would be very hard for me to stop!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

Well, I am finally back on a decent streak (43 days) and in the middle of training for my fall marathon. I've ramped up my mileage considerably and am consistently doing 50 mpw for the first time. So far, so good. If I get through this week I plan on adding some tempo work to my mid week run and (hopefully) keeping the streak going.

Jeff, I like the idea of you deciding when you want to call it quits on the streak, though I have to say if I had an almost 1,000 day streak going, it would be very hard for me to stop!

Oh it wont be easy to do, and not sure I'll even do it but some of my running has been struggling lately ( a few injuries here and there) which has made me rethink my running schedule.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I just rejoined - like today - and realized I have a 5-day run streak! Gotta start somewhere!

In mid-February, I suffered a stress fracture of the right ankle. That kept me out of running until early June. Since then I have been struggling....I lost my spring chance to acclimate to the summer heat, I certainly lost some fitness (and gained a few lbs) and have been struggling to come back.

I'm still struggling but I've found I want to run in minimalist footwear (or barefoot) as the shoes I used to wear just didn't feel good anymore after injury.

Recently I've also discovered the joy of a streak. If at least nothing else, doing a mile a day is something - and it is consistent. And soon I will do more each day as I make progress. My goal is to be stronger than I was before I was injured.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ojo

Thanks for the check in -- good to hear how everyone is doing.

I am still going strong and also training for a fall (or perhaps 2) marathon.  I spent the last week in Maine and I must admit the hills really killed me.  I thought it was hilly where I live in CT but in Maine there was a hill around very corner.  Slowed me down a bit this week as we were camping and I ran laps around the camp ground -- boring but better than Acadia National Park (although that would have been significantly more interesting!)  Feeling tired overall but a good tired.  Hopefully I will be well rested before this weekend's 21 mile run!

Sara

MM #2929

Ojo

I just rejoined - like today - and realized I have a 5-day run streak! Gotta start somewhere!

In mid-February, I suffered a stress fracture of the right ankle. That kept me out of running until early June. Since then I have been struggling....I lost my spring chance to acclimate to the summer heat, I certainly lost some fitness (and gained a few lbs) and have been struggling to come back.

I'm still struggling but I've found I want to run in minimalist footwear (or barefoot) as the shoes I used to wear just didn't feel good anymore after injury.

Recently I've also discovered the joy of a streak. If at least nothing else, doing a mile a day is something - and it is consistent. And soon I will do more each day as I make progress. My goal is to be stronger than I was before I was injured.

Welcome Kerry! 

Sara

MM #2929

Ojo

Jeff and Sean -- just curious what marathons you are training for.  I definitely doing Wineglass and possibly the Breakers in Newport, RI.

Sara

MM #2929

Seanv2

Jeff and Sean -- just curious what marathons you are training for.  I definitely doing Wineglass and possibly the Breakers in Newport, RI.

Ojo, I am doing Philly, which I hear is flat and fun. Its pretty late in the season, which gives me time to get some miles in. Has anyone else around here run Philly?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

Baystate marathon in Lowell, MA - flat and fast.  Only downside is that it is a double loop and I've never really liked double loop races much - but there are a bunch of RAers running it and quite a few that are trying for the same BQ goal as I am so I am hoping we can help each other get there.
                    Seanv2

Baystate marathon in Lowell, MA - flat and fast.  Only downside is that it is a double loop and I've never really liked double loop races much - but there are a bunch of RAers running it and quite a few that are trying for the same BQ goal as I am so I am hoping we can help each other get there.

I really wish I could make Baystate, I think that is going to be a special race.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Ojo

I thought about doing Baystate as the second marathon since it is the same weekend as the Breakers BUT if I am still recovery from the first marathon it might be a really slow one for me (not that I am not slow to begin with ).  I would be way to intimidated by all those fast runners to come in so late!  I would be doing the second to become a MM so time isn't the goal -- 2 in 16 days is the goal for the lowest level.

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

I thought about trying for the MM thing once, but I think my wife would punch me in the head.
                            Running here in middle Tennessee has been miserable the last 2 months, the heat is constant, I would kill for a nice cool morning with low humidity. But, enough of the negative, I have battled through some small injuries to keep the streak going. My goal at the first of the year was to do the whole year, and I think I will end it at that. I am VERY impressed with you guys and girls with 1 year and much more going. One thing I have found out by 'streaking' though; it does seem to be beating me up some. I just ran a 8K race and my time was 2 minutes slower than the last years race, with about the same weather conditions. Maybe I am not taking it easy enough on the easy days. I have 2 halfs coming up in fall, and I think I will do the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville in December. I have not run a marathon this year yet, and have run at least 1 - 3 every year since 2005, so I need to keep that going. One cool thing about this year; I will be running in 4 different countries; the USA, Canada, Colombia, and in a few weeks, Scotland. Keep up the streaking it has been fun, and 'cool running' to all.
                              I just hit 439.  Which is amazing.  To me.  AND I am crazily training for my first marathon.  The Nike Women's marathon in SF.  Yikes.  Smile

http://www.runningnotes.net

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

As I said previously, I'm new at this, but starting over after injury. Just completed my first-ever 10 day run streak! YAY!

TRUST THE PROCESS