A Mile A Day

Young1 - are you tapering already? (Read 112 times)

jeffdonahue

I know you are doing Boston this year, but it seems kind of early to have started your taper already. Most of my running club is doing it and they still have a 22 miler next weekend. On a similar note, how is your Boston training coming along?

q day

Thanks for asking! I'm sure this weekends long run looked as if I'm tapering, but I'm not. I went to a 1/2 marathon race in my home town this weekend, and decided to run it at Marathon pace to see how it felt. So, I did a mile warmup, then set the pace at around 6:45 for the race. I plan to break 3 hours at Boston, so 6:52 is 3 hour pace. I figured I should feel good at just a little faster than that, and I did. All my training is paying off and Boston is only 4 weeks from today. I have a 22 miler planned for Saturday and the following week, I'll probably do another 22 miler. My taper won't officially begin until 8 days out, and even then I won't drop below 30 miles. I'm worried about the day after Boston, but I know I'll be able to make it a mile. It's the 3 mile goal I'm worried about. What is your next race and how's your progress toward that goal?

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

jeffdonahue

I have a 5K comiing up on April 6th. Last year I had used this one as my "let's see how much fitness I lost over the winter" race and I actually matched my PR at 21:24 and then went on to break it three weeks later at another 5K. This one is kind of tough though with a large hill in the last mile, but I am still hopeful. then I have another flat 5K at the end of April. I did already break my 5K PR this year, finally breaking 21:00 a few weeks ago and hitting 20:54 so anything better than that and I will be happy. I do need to start thinking about the rest of my race season. This is going to be a big year of races for me. I am doing the USATF new England Grand Prix series which is seven races ending with a marathon in October. My HM last week was the first race, next one is not until May, but I think it is going to take some planning to make sure I optimize my times at all the races.

q day

Sounds like a busy year, but that is a good thing! Keep up the excellent training, and the PRs will keep on coming. Good luck in your upcoming races!

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

jeffdonahue

How is the Boston training going Young1? Looks like you got anotehr 22 miler in this weekend. My running group has about 9 people doing Boston and they did their last long run this weekend - they ran the last 22 miles of the course to prepare. Do you have your bib # yet - I'll keep track of you online during that day.

q day

Boston training couldn't be better! I got my Bib # last week. I'm #3319. That puts me in the first wave, corral #3. My running club/town has 18 BQers going up to run. We are all meeting this Thursday to have a get-together/program. We have a 2:16 marathoner coming to talk to us about race strategy and a physician speaking on proper hydration. It will also be a great time to share race goals and compile a list of information so we can all stay in touch in Boston. I will be ready to roll. Keep me in your running prayers and Streak on! D