A Mile A Day

It's Over (Read 49 times)

My streak ended with my last run on 3/19/2014 after 1772 days and 6492.5 miles.  On 3/20/14 I had a bout of vomiting whereas I could barely get out of bed.  I always said that I would continue the streak as long as I was able, not using excuses to NOT run, but if I was unable due to sickness, it would end.  Thus that day came.  I am almost a tiny bit relieved.  I no longer have to get that mile in just to keep the streak alive.

It was fun.  I am proud.  And I will still run.  But it will no longer be the small obsession.

Ojo

Wow!  What a good run you had!  I remember when you started and you didn't think you would make it through 1 winter!  Congratulations!

And I really hope you are feeling better. 

Sara

MM #2929

Feeling a lot better.  It was a good run- no pun intended. 

jeffdonahue

Wow, sorry to hear about the illness and congratulations on an amazing streak!

Best of luck in your future running.

Jeff

Congratulations. Great streak.  It ends when it has to.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Mine just ended (4yrs, 10,000mi) with a two day visit to a trauma center.

Went out for a test run tonight and felt good.

Kinda sad but also kind of liberating to be free of the streak.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

MTA: Yes I did ask DW to go ask nurses if I could go for a run. No I didn't think to have her take video of that event (of them looking at her like she was out of her mind)

Ojo

Sorry you had to end your streak, but better to take care of yourself.

Mine just ended (4yrs, 10,000mi) with a two day visit to a trauma center.

Went out for a test run tonight and felt good.

Kinda sad but also kind of liberating to be free of the streak.

Sara

MM #2929

Seanv2

A visit to the trauma center is definitely a reason to end the streak!

Hope all is well, and congratulations on a heck of streak!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Haven't started back into a streak; been enjoying the laziness & freedom of not running every day. But my mileage has dropped, without the force of striving to maintain streak & mileage average.

jeffdonahue

Yeah, well at least your mileage has dropped because you arent running every day.  I'm debating ending my streak right now because I was injured playing soccer in May.  Though they never did an MRI to confirm the orthopedic doctor believes I have a bulging disc in my back that is hitting my sciatic nerve.  I havent run much more than a mile in a day since May and most days look at my log and wonder if I should just pick a day and end it to let it completely heal up.  Mostly it doesnt hurt, except when I am driving long distances then the pain runs down my entire leg from hip to calf.

Then somtimes I think maybe I should just try going out for a nice 7 miler to see if that knocks things back into place.  Still on the fence but have decided that if I hit 2,500 days and it hasnt healed up (I have since left my soccer team) I will end the streak and rest it completely till it heals.  But that is still about 2 months away and for now I am taking it easy, doing lots of stretching and some strength and core work to try to help it along in the healing process.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ah man, that's rough.

jeffdonahue

Well, two months went by pretty quick, so here's an update on my injury.  I am back to running some regular mileage.  The injury is probably not quite 100% healed up, but I can run with zero to minimal pain.  I can still "feel" that area when I run but it doesn't hurt.  I am still stretching 3x per day, and started seeing a chiropractor about a month ago.

Of course, I got my mileage up and then last week tweaked my other ankle, but that seems to be better now as well.  I am shooting for about 120 miles a month through the end of the year and we'll see how that goes.

At any rate, today was day 2,500 for me.  One of these days I'm going to hit one of these milestone days and be able to go out and say "Hey its day 2500, I'm going to run 25 miles to celebrate it."  Maybe when I hit 3000 =)

Then somtimes I think maybe I should just try going out for a nice 7 miler to see if that knocks things back into place.  Still on the fence but have decided that if I hit 2,500 days and it hasnt healed up (I have since left my soccer team) I will end the streak and rest it completely till it heals.  But that is still about 2 months away and for now I am taking it easy, doing lots of stretching and some strength and core work to try to help it along in the healing process.