A Mile A Day

Welcome to MBurlingame (Read 142 times)

q day

Jeff and fellow streakers, I just wanted to welcome my lifelong friend, Mike to the club. We went to high school together, and although we live in different cities, we still keep in touch. I told him about RunningAhead, this group, and how a one mile a day committment is a good start to fitness. He is starting from scratch, so please help me encourage him along! Good luck Mike! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

jeffdonahue

Hi Mike, Welcome to the group. I just joined RunningAHEAD back in December and have so far found it to be a very positive place with lots of people out there to help you out. One thing I always hated about other forums was the negativity that seems to be thrown around - you dont seem to get as much of that here. Best of luck on your new running career. Jeff PS - I'll get your name up on the chart tonight

Running around the ship

Thanks for the welcome! It is true that Darrin and I go waaaayyyyy back! However, we are nothing alike when it comes to running! Smile I started walking on Monday (this is Friday) and called Darrin to brag about my accomplishment. "Well Mike, you're gonna need to start running at some point...Oprah did", said Darrin. Gulp! Shocked He encouraged me to start weaving in 1/10 mile runs into my walks. So the next day I started jogging (slow) and kept going until I carried a mile. Cool! I can run a mile! I have never been into physical fitness, so this is going to be a long journey for me...mostly getting into the habit. What better way than to commit to a mile a day!? I don't plan to be a long distance runner but would like to get to 3 miles as "a good run". Who knows where it goes from there. I'm looking forward to running this weekend...wow, I can't believe I just said that! Mike
          Hi Mike! Congratulations on making a commitment to physical fitness! Really neat you guys have kept in touch all these years. Haven't seen my high school buddies for at least 30 years. I'm also a newbie, ran my first mile non-stop in January. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face all day. Considering I couldn't even run a minute in November, it was quite an accomplishment for me. Anyway, I know where you're coming from. The main thing is to take things slow and easy. Progress will come automatically. I mean, I can't believe I'm running 30 mins. non-stop, and how easy it is (well, relatively). Unthinkable in November. As you say, physical fitness is indeed a journey. You put in your time every day while enjoying the scenery and passing a milestone every now and then. That's one of the things I like about running every day. Gives me the satisfaction of achieving a goal--every day. At first I thought running 7/7 was a bit crazy, but it's working out well so far. If nothing else, it's made me listen to my body much more. Apart from having fun, I'm still surprised that I'm actually doing it. Welcome to the club, runner! Paul
          jeffdonahue

Hi Mike, I got you up on the chart now. Hopefully the RA admins can get us an automatic chart eventually. I have put in a request but they said it could take a while, so for now it is manual. Jeff

Running around the ship

Hey Paul... I read quite a bit of your blog...fun to read and I especially like the honesty! Ran today for the 1st time outside. I live in a hilly subdivision...holy crap! A little different than on the treadmill! Overall I was a tad faster though. I'll have to figure that out. A couple of hours after I finished my mile I got a voice mail from Darrin encouraging me to keep my 1 mile "streak" alive...of course that was after he told me he just finished 20 miles! Jeesh! Anyway, so far so good...looking forward to another mile... Mike

Running around the ship

Hi Mike, I got you up on the chart now. Hopefully the RA admins can get us an automatic chart eventually. I have put in a request but they said it could take a while, so for now it is manual. Jeff
                Thanks for taking care of that! I think I'm getting way too much mileage though, due to the way that I'm tracking. I have walking mixed in with my running, only because I want to track that as well. I definetly don't want you to have to scrutinize my log but I don't want to get "extra credit"! Big grin Thanks again for adding my info! Mike
                  Hi Mike, Thanks for reading the blog! I put everything in it, warts and all. Glad you had fun reading it. Take it easy on those hills! Paul