A Mile A Day

weekly check-in 2/9/09 (Read 223 times)

I'll start it up this week. Nothing major for me over the last week. I did increase my mileage some and I look to go up from there over the next few weeks as I try to work some longer runs into my workout. I'm going on a 4 day cruise this coming weekend. In my mind I'm already there. I'll be running on the little, rubber track on the top deck. I'll run at home the morning we leave, and the day we get back, so it'll only be 3 days where I have to run on the boat. There is a possibility that a "drunk run" will be one of them on those three days, but I'll do my best to avoid that...Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had to back off with my miles and I do not run high mileage anyway. I started this streak after a real poor year in 2008 hardly any running and now trying to do a streak and haveing trouble with tired legs and sore sore knees, I will get out this afternoon tho and that will be 40 days straight, pretty good for me, we have cold Febuary rain today and wind so it should be a lousy run but I will still get out to keep this streak alive, thats why I started this streak so I would get motavated to keep getting out the door and so far its been working, I been out when in the past I would say the hell with it. It seems like the more days you gain the more you want to keep it up, I hope to do a year,Wink only 325 days left LOL. Well talk at you laterWink

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

jeffdonahue

I did increase my mileage some
        Wow, increase by "some" - you nearly doubled it over your last couple weeks. I hit just about 50 miles this week. I finished my first run over 10 miles since the marathon on Sunday and didnt realize that I only needed another half mile to get to 50 until I was posting it on RA. Was too tired later to jump on the treadmill so 49.5 was good enough. I do have to say that lately I just feel slow. I did the 10.5 miler with a friend of mine who has heart problems and so I run her pace which is around 9:30s (averages to over 10mpm with walking breaks and stops for water and such) but then I ran another 3.1 this morning and I just felt slow. And when I finished it up, it was kind of slow. I am glad to be getting my mileage back up there and hopefully it will make me fitter and get me out of my slump that I feel I have been in lately. Maybe I am just tired. I did do track work, hill repeats and a long run last week and my body is definitley not used to that much (if any) hard workouts lately. Not much else to report. I would still like the snow to go away and have one really nice day out to get a GOOD run in where I finish and remember why I like running. Later Jeff
        jeffdonahue

It seems like the more days you gain the more you want to keep it up
          That is totally what gets me out the door most days. 400+ days and going right now and it would take a lot to make me break that. And it definitely keeps getting worse - I cant imagine what goes through Darren's mind when he might think about missing a day now that he is at like 2.5 years.
            I ran a little over 36 miles last week. Sunday (2/1) I did 10 miles with miles 3, 4, and 5 averaging 7:42 pace. The pace included 30 seconds after mile four where I slowed to eat/drink a bit. The hard running average was closer to 7:35 pace. After warming up for five minutes, Wednesday (2/4), I did a couple 1K's. The first one was 4:11, and the second one was 4:04. Between the hard running I slow jogged 1:34 for recovery. I wanted to be 4:20 for each K, so was a little fast. I finished the workout with two 40 second sprints with 1:37 jog between. I have a couple milestones coming up: Day 300 of the streak is Wednesday (2/11). I enter my runs in a Microsoft Access database. I have 1,991 records: 2,000 is coming up.
            Ojo

Quiet running week again for me. Feeling good about the streak although some mornings it was tough getting out in the bitter temps. Had a really hard run yesterday. I did 16 miles, which is my longest since the NYC marathon, but the wind was so strong that it sucked the life out of me! I was down by the water and it was so choppy with really strong gusts of wind. I really struggled to get home, which was a little disappointing to me but I guess we all have bad runs. Looking forward to a warmer week although it might be a little wet!

Sara

MM #2929

Hey guys! This past week went much better than the week before. I have been able to mostly recover from my injuries. I still have some minor pain in my left knee but no where near where it was. I am definitely laying off the hill work until it gets 100%. I believe it was a hard hill workout that took me over the edge last time. No mileage goal for last week, but I ended up at 46. I plan to start building this week, and I hope to hit around 55 miles. I am staying cautious though and trying to stay in tune with my body. I am also diligently following a stretching and strengthening regimine for me knees.

Ryan

Jill_B

I fly.

I've got a headcold (*waaah*). So that stinks. It also explains where my get up and go went. Today I managed to do 2 on the treadmill. Hopefully I'll feel better for the weekend. I'm thinking of doing 14 on Saturday. My longest run since who knows when.

Bring it on.

I got a nice surprise tonight. My wife gave me an early Valentine's Day present, a Garmin Forerunner 305! Big grin I'm looking forward to learning how to use it and putting it to good use! Hope you feel better Jill!
                    Jill_B

I fly.

Thanks, I'm not, but I'll hop on the treadmill tonight and run 2. I would be doing it now (while the baby naps), but I decided to take a little snooze. Enjoy the 305!

Bring it on.

I got a nice surprise tonight. My wife gave me an early Valentine's Day present, a Garmin Forerunner 305! Big grin
                        Enjoy it! It is a great tool. I have the 305 and I love it. I used to obsess about how long I was running and would drive my car around to track different courses. Now I just run which is a liberating feeling. If I want to shoot off down some unknown path, I do it (without the nagging voice in my head asking me how I will track the distance).

Ryan

q day

That is totally what gets me out the door most days. 400+ days and going right now and it would take a lot to make me break that. And it definitely keeps getting worse - I cant imagine what goes through Darren's mind when he might think about missing a day now that he is at like 2.5 years.
                          Well I'll tell you what goes through Darrin's mind tonight at 9:40pm as I headed out on day 964, "I sure as hell don't want to run today!" but then i go do it anyway. I have some motivation starting to brew inside me and I hope it doesn't stop. I've gained weight, slowed down dramatically and don't want to race. The minimum of three miles a day has helped me keep from total loss of fitness, and I was able to do 14 on Saturday, but it wasn't pretty. Just like everyone else, I have my ups and downs! The streak gets me out the door on days like today and the whole purpose of my streak it to maintain a certain level of fitness instead of the in-shape/out-of-shape cycle I did for decades. I have my first race of the year on the 19th of April, so I finally have a 2009 goal, and I really needed that! Last year was the best racing year of my life and now I need to make up a whole new set of goals. Number 1 goal right now is to get to 1000 days! Hang in there eveyone! and Streak on! D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Jill_B

I fly.

What a change taking a nap makes! I felt great last night and did 5 on the treadmill! Looking forward to doing 6 (maybe) today!

Bring it on.

jeffdonahue

What a change taking a nap makes! I felt great last night and did 5 on the treadmill! Looking forward to doing 6 (maybe) today!
                              Glad you're feeling better. I did my group hill workout this morning. The warmup felt like crap, and the hills hurt like hell - my quads were on fire by the time we finished the last hill. But, the cooldown two miles back to my gym actually felt great. I have no idea what my pace was but it felt nice and smooth and comfortable, a feeling in running that I havent really had in a while it seems. I did 8.7 miles today and am actually motivated a bit to maybe get in a few more at lunch today since it is like 45 degrees right now and I expect it to hit above 50 by noontime. I dont thnk I can pass that type of weather up.