A Mile A Day

Tough couple days (Read 96 times)

jeffdonahue

I ran a 10 mile race on Tuesday night. Time-wise I did fine - 1:13:58 by my watch, but I was definitely under-nourished and under-hydrated for the race. By the time I was done my legs were sore and cramping up. By the time I tried to walk back to my car my calves and quads were seizing up on me. Yesterday I tried to knock out the kinks by running an easy 6 with my running club. But today I woke up and my legs (quads especially) are still sore, so I only did 2 when I was scheduled to do 6-7. I have a 14 mile run planned for Sunday - I hope they are okay by then.

Oh Mighty Wing

Jeff, sorry to hear about the soreness/cramping. You (read Mrs. JD) should take an ice cube and rub it on your thighs. In deep massage type fashion. The 10-miler sounds like it went well though. Which is good. And maybe a 2 miler was better for today. Give you more rest time. Which you may just need. I think by sunday you should be fine as long as you don't go over doing it between now and then.

q day

Jeff, In addition to some ice, I'd suggest some Ibuprofen. Maybe 400mg, two or three times a day for a couple days. Both will really help the inflammation. I bet your already taking care of the nutrition and hydration. I like to take a multi-vitamin in the morning (when I remember). Also, I'd recommend a day off, if I were on any other forum! Streak on!

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Oh Mighty Wing

Jeff, In addition to some ice, I'd suggest some Ibuprofen. Maybe 400mg, two or three times a day for a couple days. Both will really help the inflammation. I bet your already taking care of the nutrition and hydration. I like to take a multi-vitamin in the morning (when I remember). Also, I'd recommend a day off, if I were on any other forum! Streak on!
          you know I find some 1-milers might as well be the same thing as days off... they count but I barely notice them on my legs...
          jeffdonahue

Today was the day off - 2 easy miles. Felt good and actually loosened up the quads a little, but unfortunately I have to sit at a desk all day (not lounging on the couch eating Bon-Bons like Shan does during the summer Wink ) I am just now feeling re-hydrated. I have had that icky sluggish feeling you get for 2 days now and I have been guzzling water. Been taking ibuprofen when I think of it (or it is handy - none at my desk). Planning on an easy 4-5 tomorrow and maybe 2-3 on Saturday before the 14 miler - nothing big, nothing hard.

Oh Mighty Wing

(not lounging on the couch eating Bon-Bons like Shan does during the summer Wink )
              I actually think this is detrimental to me... seriously... I think my legs are more sore because of the couch - I sit with my feet on the coffee table - and I think it keeps my thigh/IT in a weird way that makes it unhappy...
              jeffdonahue

I believe it. My ankles actually usually hurt a ton at the end of a night of watching TV (they should hurt around 11:00 tonight after my wife and I watch Burn Notice). I think it has to do with the way my feet hang when I sit, stretching the ankle a bit in a way it just doesnt like.

Oh Mighty Wing

I believe it. My ankles actually usually hurt a ton at the end of a night of watching TV (they should hurt around 11:00 tonight after my wife and I watch Burn Notice). I think it has to do with the way my feet hang when I sit, stretching the ankle a bit in a way it just doesnt like.
                  maybe... I think part of it is my couch is old and I sit on the crack of two cushions so i'm not sitting evenly.... Not that it deters me or causes me to sit differently... Blush