A Mile A Day

Anyone notice this? (Read 217 times)

I blogged about streaking, and posted in the general forum about streaking, and of course, talk to everyone I know about streaking. 

What I notice is nearly the first thing people say is that I should take a rest.  That rest is good for my body.  This after I just finished telling them how FANTASTIC I feel.

so, anyone else get that?

http://www.runningnotes.net

Jill_B

I fly.

My dad and my brother both run and they pester me to take a break.  My husband keeps saying that I don't have to run every day and it'll be okay.  I just ignore them.  Smile

Bring it on.

A Saucy Wench

This is the response I got from other RUNNERS on a different board.

"Seriously though, I've always thought that running EVERY day isn't a good idea because of an increased risk of overuse injury. I know I couldn't do it. I do some kind of vigorous exercise every day, but I only run 4 days a week, at most, to give my legs a break. I'm sure I'm older, so that's a factor, maybe for you it will be fine? Everyone is different ...."

My husband likes it because it keeps the crazies at bay.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

First thing I usually tell them is that they are crazy if they think Ryan Hall and Kara Goucher, etc... do not run every day, if not twice a day.  You cant get to 140 mile weeks and have a day off.

Second, I tell them that I do have rest days.  It just happens that I run a mile or two really slow on those days - probably once a week.

My wife also thinks that it helps keep me more sane - at least not as irritable.  I'm only cranky now if I havent gotten my run in yet.

On My Horse

Running everyday in a week definitely makes the other six days easier to get out there.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes!  I am sooooooooooooo much happier since I've been running every day.  Even when I wasn't, my husband would tell me to go run whenever I was cranky.

Just kind of annoying.  If I said I was going to spin or take a step class every day, they wouldn't say anything, but the second you say running, people act like I'm killing myself!

In response to my status on facebook when I hit 30 days:

"giving your leg muscles a day off actually makes them stronger. muscles doesn't build when you work them, they build when you rest them after working them ... which might be a way to be a faster runner ... just thinking out loud Wink"

So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                  I have also been lectured (though nicely) that you should confuse the muscles and do other things.  I am just glad to be doing something every day and if it is running that I love, then let my muscles get complacent.  I used to use the Step Mill at the gym and look longingly at the treadmills because that's where I would rather have been.  I am trying to lift some weights a  few times a week for upper body strength, but I really haven't noticed any ill effects from running every day.  
                    My dad and brother make comments about me taking a day off now and then.  I want to make it to at least a year, no time for a day off now.
                      I kind of wished my wife had noticed. She happened to glance at my Running Ahead's running log, saw the number from the streak widget, and asked what that meant. I told her it is the number of days I have run in a row. She didn't realize it had been that long. I guess she doesn't notice when I'm gone.

A Saucy Wench

Today my 5 year old said "You dont HAVE to go running every day you know.  If you run EVERY day you will get tired of it" 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

She didn't realize it had been that long. I guess she doesn't notice when I'm gone.

I wish.  My wife asks how long I am going to be gone every time I walk out the door.  My runs are broken down in her mind between short, medium and long.  Short I have finally convinced her is about 45 minutes.  Medium is 45 minutes to an hour.  Anything over an hour is long to her.  Though I would consider short anything under an hour.  Medium anything over an hour but under 1:45ish and long anything after that.

A Saucy Wench

I wish.  My wife asks how long I am going to be gone every time I walk out the door.  My runs are broken down in her mind between short, medium and long.  Short I have finally convinced her is about 45 minutes.  Medium is 45 minutes to an hour.  Anything over an hour is long to her.  Though I would consider short anything under an hour.  Medium anything over an hour but under 1:45ish and long anything after that.

this is why you have to run in the morning.  For dh "short" is when I get home before 7, medium is @ 7 and long is anything after 7  REALLY long is after 8:30.   When I start is up to me.

jeffdonahue

Mostly I do run in the mornings, but yesterday I did a boot camp in the morning and had lunch with a friend I hadnt seen in a year so needed to run when I got home.  I gave her a "short to medium" range as I left.

Actually she really is good about it though, because if it gets to the end of the day and she doesnt remember me running, she always asks so I can keep my streak alive. 

Even when I wasn't streaking, people would tell me that I needed to do something besides "just running".  But, running is the only thing I like!  Thankfully, there are forums like this where people understand!!!