A Mile A Day

Contemplating ending it. (Read 36 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It's very difficult since I am over 900 days now, but I am thinking about ending my streak. I don't know why. Haha. I am afraid that if I do end my streak, my running will suffer (meaning I won't run as much) but I am also afraid that if I continue my streak, my running will suffer (I have been feeling relatively exhausted on most runs now, although that is probably related to working a stressful job full time).

I think I just needed to get it out there. I bet next week I will feel differently.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

jeffdonahue

Streaking can do a lot of things - it can motivate you, can keep you consistent in your running, make you faster, make you stronger, etc...

But... it also has it's negatives.  there are days I get out there when I really dont feel like it, or my body doesnt even feel up to it, just to keep the streak going.  And that is probably not healthy either.  And a stressful job doesnt help either - i had days this winter I as working from 7am-9 or 10 pm and still went home and got a mile in when all I wanted to do was sit on the couch.  You have to figure out what is best for you and your body and family though.  I would say give it a week and see if you feel better, if not, then make your decision.  Or if you see your job getting less stressful soon, wait till then and see if it gets better.

You could shoot for ending it on July 23rd with Mark Covert (the longerst running streaker)  Check out this article

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/longest-us-running-streak-to-end-at-45-years

Best of luck

Jeff

Ojo

Heather -- the streak is only good if you are enjoying it.  When it becomes a chore then it might be time to call it quits.  You have so much going on and you have continued your streak through nursing school -- not an easy task  Find a good round number and take a break.  You can always start again -- look how far I have come!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

I agree- a streak should not become a burden.  Of course, there are ALWAYS some days (or weeks) where it is very difficult and is a burden, but if it continues that way, it should be dumped.  There is nothing magical about it.  It's something we do.  I find my streak easier than my weekly (and annual) mileage goals, but I know at some point I will have an international business trip, a surgery or an illness that will end the streak.  I just do it one day at a time.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I picked a day, June 24th (two days after my "runniversary", I was going to do the day after but that is a Sunday and I have the day off so I can run long in the morning with my running friends) to reevaluate and stop if I still feel this way. It's far enough away to give it time and close enough to not feel like it's dragging on.

jeffdonahue

I picked a day, June 24th (two days after my "runniversary", I was going to do the day after but that is a Sunday and I have the day off so I can run long in the morning with my running friends) to reevaluate and stop if I still feel this way. It's far enough away to give it time and close enough to not feel like it's dragging on.

Sounds like a good plan.  Remember - running should be fun, otherwise what's the point.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It's done. 943 days.

Intentionally Blank

Nice job, friend.

jeffdonahue

Nice job.  You had a good go of it, and maybe some day you'll be back.