A Mile A Day

How much is too much? (Read 295 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, so when I consider the concept of streaking (and this is truly a subjective things as far as I am concerned - every person is different.) I have always thought of it as running/jogging for one mile under your own power.  When considering walking as part of this I would consider Gallowalking programs as falling under this running/jogging criteria and would totally consider this as eligle for streakdom.

But how much walking would be too much?  Is there a limit?  I only ask because when I consider the run/walk dichotomy, I had always thought about it in terms of my own walk breaks for long runs which sometimes might be a minute of walking for every 8-9 minutes of running.  But as I review his program the frequency and timing of walk breaks changes based on pace so some people would actually be walking for 60 seconds and then jogging for 30 seconds.

So my question to you would be - would you consider this as meeting the criteria for running/jogging as far as streaking goes (and I guess as far as the USRSA.might be concerned).

As I consider my move over to total barefoot/minimalist running, one of my options that I am considering isto implement in a similar fashion to Galloway or your typical Couch to 5K program where I would have running for a minute and then walking for a minute, gradually increasing the running portion until I can do a full mile.  Do you think this would/should count towards streaking?

No, I havent started this yet, so however you answer is fine.  I wouldnt really consider it until I checked with the USRSA anyway but wanted some other opinions.

Jeff

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think that falls back to the "what is a runner" question.  As far as I'm concerned, if you're not doing everything at a walk and you call yourself a runner, then you're running.  Regardless of pace or minute run/walk breakdowns.  Then again, I started out running slower than I could walk, so I may be on the far side of the scale.  Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Jeff - I consider myself a runner - even though some may question that.  After completing c25k and then OHR (and being injured and in PT a couple of times) I stumbled onto Galloway's website and started following SOME of his advice.  For me, the run/walk has allowed me to safely increase my mileage and keep my HR much lower than it would be if I ran continuously.  It has also made my runs much more enjoyable. 

I did my first half marathon in August and had such a good experience that I'm signing up for my next one in November.  I have been using a 1:1 ratio and am trying to transition to a 2:1 before the November race, but I'll just take one day at a time. I'm making slow progress - but at least it is progress. 

I've been counting all of this in my streak here.  I don't know what USRSA would say, but I don't plan to pursue that, so I really don't care.  All I know is that the group here has made me much more consistent. 

Roses Revenge

I consider myself a runner even though I walk more than I run.  I also can walk faster than I run most of the time.  The pedometer that I use counts steps and what it calls aerobic steps.  It starts counting the steps as aerobic when I take more than 60 steps in 60 seconds. (I think.  I'd have to go find the instructions since I've been using this one since 2006.) It also calculates the time spent doing aerobic steps.

If it counts my steps as aerobic and tells me how long I spent at that rate, I count it as a run.  I'm mostly running/walking by feel rather than heart rate now, although I was using a HRM for a long time and know that my speed is in my aerobic range.

One of the coaches of our training group commented one time that anyone who comes out at 6 AM on Saturday morning to go 10 miles in the rain is a runner.  Even if they are walking.

I may be old and slow, but I'm getting older and faster.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Although walk / Run is good, I wouldn't count it as keeping a running streak alive. Where would you draw the line? People walk everyday of their lives. Some may deem walking a minute and running for 30 seconds alright. Some may deem walking for 5 minutes resting for 3 minutes running for two minutes alright. I think it should be running for a continuous mile. Running defined as both feet off the ground for somepoint in each stride. Even if you jog there is a brief moment when both feet are off the ground. Walking has both feet on the ground for a brief moment.
            mlybrand

Only requirement USRSA has is that you run 1 mile without stop.  So, as long as you do the first mile, you are free to run as you will, I think.

Just my 2 centimos.

Ojo

Only requirement USRSA has is that you run 1 mile without stop.  So, as long as you do the first mile, you are free to run as you will, I think.

My thoughts too -- as long as you do 1 mile you are meeting the requirements.

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Got an official answer from the USRSA and they say you have RUN for one mile, so any walk breaks supposedly would negate the mile as part of the streak.  But again, to each his own and this whole streak thing is a completely personal thing - that's why it's on the honor system.
                  Roses Revenge

Got an official answer from the USRSA and they say you have RUN for one mile, so any walk breaks supposedly would negate the mile as part of the streak.  But again, to each his own and this whole streak thing is a completely personal thing - that's why it's on the honor system.

Well, I guess I'm not official then.  The last time I ran a continuous mile was in the spring of 1958 when I was 16 years old.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Bah.  Who needs their approval anyway, right RR?  Smile  The only thing that really matters is what it means to you.

jeffdonahue

Bah.  Who needs their approval anyway, right RR?  Smile  The only thing that really matters is what it means to you.

+1

Ojo

Well, I guess I'm not official then.  The last time I ran a continuous mile was in the spring of 1958 when I was 16 years old.

Whatever you are doing keep doing . . . no one says you have to be official to be a streaker! 

Sara

MM #2929

Wingz

Professional Noob

Whatever you are doing keep doing . . . no one says you have to be official to be a streaker! 

And congrats on hitting 90 days today! 

Roses Revenge

Thanks, all.  It will be interesting to find out what this streaking thing does for my time on my marathon on 10/4.