A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 03/16/09 (Read 226 times)

jeffdonahue

What a great weekend for me running-wise. I had my first race of the year - a 4 miler in North Oxford, Mass. I have been having really bad runs for most of this year and feeling kind of down on my running in general. The full report is out there in the "look what I can do" forum here http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/4bc59c42a89b4c878d73e029ea145315 but to sum it up, it was an extremely hilly course with the most brutal of it being the last half mile or so. I started out with the leaders for about half of the first hill and then held back because I didnt want to be sucked dry that early in the race. I could see the leaders for about the first 2.5-3 miles then I lost them but still had the fourth place guy in my sites the whole race. I came in 5th overall and had my very first ever "1st in Age Group". I was so psyched and I even got a cool trophy for it. That was Saturday and after that on Sunday I was still on a high over my win that I went out and did an 8 miler while I was down at Cape Cod visiting my grandmother. Of course my quads are sore today, but I can deal with that after the great weekend I just had. I am still keeping my mileage down and it seems to be helping my legs and my running so I may keep it down between 30 and 40 for a while. I am going to start building up my long runs now and see if I cant get them up to around 15-16 miles eventually. I still need a goal race for the year but I am feeling better about my running at least.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I had a good week last week. Bumped my minimum run from 1 mile to 1.1, and then participated in my first sprint triathlon. I had a good time, and finished at about the 85th percentile in the overall women's group. That's acutally good for me as I've typically been in the 90+th percentile. Wink I felt very undertrained for the tri. The swim was 300 yds, and my "long" swim (longest distance I'd swum continuously) was 300 yards. The bike was 9.3 miles, and the longest I'd biked was 8.4. The run was a 5K, and the longest run I've had in the last 3 months is 2.5 miles. Once. About a week and a half prior. I'd never done any combination/brick workouts, and was counting on race hype to get me through the extra distances. Guess it worked, because I finished and had a good time doing it! I feel confident that I could do better next year, but am happy with how this year turned out, given the preparation (or lack thereof) that I had for it. Funny thing is, the times I've been in the 90th percentile, I *haven't* felt like I was super-undertrained (like I did this weekend). Go figger. Perhaps this last three months of training without injury has helped! My run time stank, but that's to be expected at the last leg for a new triathlete. My foot hurt - the neuroma was acting up and I ended up changing my stride and semi-limping to keep from pain during the run. I'm sure that didn't help either! Roll eyes I may actually need to get that thing looked at since it's not going away...

Roads were made for journeys...

I had a pretty good week going running wise until the weekend hit. I just didn't get the miles in this weekend that I had planned for a few reasons. That's the good thing about streak running though, there is always a new week around the corner to focus on. I should do a better job this week. Today is day 70 for me, so that is a good start on the week already...Smile Nice work on that race Jeff!
        Ojo

Good race Jeff! I must admit I think this streaking thing might be working for me! I went out for a 20 miler Sunday and had a really strong run. I usually take an occasional 30 second walking break but yesterday I ran the furthest I have ever run -- 16.5 miles! I am now feeling fairly confident about signing up for the Providence Marathon on May 3. I just need to figure out to logistics of child care! Smile Hope everyone has a good week!

Sara

MM #2929

I have been hanging in there, getting over a bruised left leg I got after a fall due to icy roads. It is fine when running an easy pace, but when I push the pace it doesn't feel right. The motor belt on my treadmill broke. I bought it 11/26/2004, ran 1,998 miles on it in 327h 2m 34s, so I can not complain. I had thought the battery in my heart rate monitor strap was getting low. (I have a Garmin 305.) The average heart rates of my tempo runs were unreasonably low. The numbers for slower paces were kind of low too, but not as unreasonable. I changed the battery a few days ago, but can't get the heart rate to record now. Maybe I need to have the strap on when I "scan" for it? I scanned, but had the strap close to the watch, but not on me. I may also have installed the battery incorrectly. I hope to get that fixed soon. As for the streak, I am on day 333. A nice round number.
            Jill_B

I fly.

My older son came home from school today with a fever and no voice. I'm wondering if I'm about to get what he got. But I had a great run today. So I guess I'm on day 2 now.

Bring it on.

KvnJns

I had a great week. Every run was comfortable and I always looked forward to the next. I ran my longest Long Run to date and even felt like I had a couple more miles left in me when I finished. I am really starting to look forward to my first Marathon in May. MTA: congrats on the races Jeff & Wingz

Kevin

First things first, today is my 100th day streaking!! Smile Last week was a cutback week for me. We were aboard the cruise ship, and (as expected) the miles did not come easy. Between drunkeness, hangovers, and general fatigue, the miles were not much fun. I can now claim myself as a member of the drunken mile club as I ran a drunk mile thursday to keep the streak alive. Wink All in all, not a bad week all things considered. I ended up reaching 36 miles. I am shooting for somewhere between 55 and 60 this week if things go well. I had a really nice run today which turned into a tempo of sorts. I think the mileage cutback has allowed my legs to recover somewhat. Great race Jeff! It sounds like the mile cutbacks are paying off for you. Nice work on the tri, Wingz! 300 yards swim, 8.4 Miles bike, 5K run = a sprint triathalon? Sounds like more than a sprint to me, I guess it was named by someone who runs the Iron Man? Hope everyone keeps up the good work! Have a nice week.

Ryan

Wingz

Professional Noob

RuninBlack - congrats on reaching 100 days! Cool My tri was 9.3 on the bike (8.4 had been my longest ride prior). "Sprint" tri's are all sorts of different lengths. I think this one was a fairly short one as far as they go. You may have noticed I'm *ahem* slow... well, it took me an hour and a half overall (just a bit over half my HM PR, lol!) so really it is pretty short. All things being relative.. it'd probably take me about 36 hours to do an ironman, lol! It made a regular 5K seem very tame and almost boring... I may now be a convert! And you might want to try one out - or at least watch one - sometime. mainrun - 333? That's a cool number... and most of the way to another milestone - 365! Big grin Great job! jeffdonahue - congrats on the hardware! Big grin Cool

Ojo

Congrats on the 100 days Ryan!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

First things first, today is my 100th day streaking!! Smile
                        Nice job - sorry I didnt notice before.
                        jeffdonahue

So, I feel kind of bad as moderator of this group that I seem to keep missing milestones in everyone's streaks. So from ehre on out when I post the weekly check-in I am going to announce who has a milestone of some sort coming up this week. So here are the milestones for this week: Runinblack - 100 days (sorry again for missing it) Young1 - 1000 days (Thursday) Wingz - One month (Today or tomorrow depending whether you count 30 or 31 days) Albertoknox - one month jsobo119 - one month Congrats everyone on great acheivements. Happy streaking! Jeff
                          Ojo

So, I feel kind of bad as moderator of this group that I seem to keep missing milestones in everyone's streaks. So from ehre on out when I post the weekly check-in I am going to announce who has a milestone of some sort coming up this week. So here are the milestones for this week: Runinblack - 100 days (sorry again for missing it) Young1 - 1000 days (Thursday) Wingz - One month (Today or tomorrow depending whether you count 30 or 31 days) Albertoknox - one month jsobo119 - one month Congrats everyone on great acheivements. Happy streaking! Jeff
                            I think you are doing a great job! Thanks! Big grin And congrats to all this week, especially Young1. Wow!

Sara

MM #2929

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz - One month (Today or tomorrow depending whether you count 30 or 31 days)
                              ROFL - I actually counted it at 4 weeks because I started in Febuary. Tongue But thanks! Congrats Young1!!!! Niiiiice! Cool

q day

Congrats to everyone hitting milestones, and yes I've got one this week too. I'm planning to run further on Thursday than I've ever run. I'm not in great shape and have gained 9 lbs since this time last year, but my spirit is strong. My plan is to simply slow down my regular pace and break my record of 26.45 miles. The state capital (Jefferson City) is 30 miles south of Columbia (Missouri) and I plan to run from the Capital (building) across the Missouri River to the Katy trail that follows the river and runs across the state. There is a spur that goes 8.8 miles (off the Katy trail) into Columbia, so that will be my course. Total distance should be around 39 miles. My long run this year has been 14.3 this past Saturday and I was sore till today. So, what I'm saying is that this isn't all that smart, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wish me luck and the strength to go a mile on 1001! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."