A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 2/16/09 (Read 207 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, so weird run yesterday. I was supposed to go running with a friend, who essentially blew me off as I ran to her house and waited in front of a lot of dark windows for about 15 minutes. But she has 3 kids so I didnt want to go pounding on the door to get her up and wake up the whole family. So I ran by myself - completely demotivated to do the 12 that I had planned, but still hoping to get 8-10 out of it. Around mile 4-5 though, I started getting some weird twinges of pain in my ankles - both of them in the same spot. It was on the outside, right above the ankle bone. I ran on it a little to see if it would subside but it didnt. So I walked for a few minutes and then gave a really good stretch to my lower calve/achilles area and the pain went away. But I still cut the run short at 6 miles just so as to not push it and really injure myself. It was just a pain I had never had before, so it kind of freaked me out a bit. I am off not for my run at the gym and a bit worreid about it - hoping that I dont get it again. I might just stick to the treadmill today instead of battling ups and downs of the hills near my gym.
      That is a bummer. Do you think barefoot running had anything to do with the pain? _______ I had a fairly nice week. Sunday (2/8) I ran 10 miles with mile 3 in 7:15, mile 4 in 7:27, and then mile 5 in 7:14. I was actually shooting for 7:30 miles, so may have been a bit quick. Tuesday (2/10) I did this - 1K warmup (5+minutes). 1K in 4:03. 1:32 recovery. 1K 4:20. 1:31 recovery. 1K 4:06. 1:31 recovery then 3 X :40 second fast, 1:30 recovery. I think I am doing the 1k's a little too fast. Should be like number 2 - 4:20, but have been < 4:10. oh well. i did four, 4-mile, treadmill barefoot runs. normally i would only do three per week. ate fairly bad last week. 4:10.="" oh="" well.="" i="" did="" four,="" 4-mile,="" treadmill="" barefoot="" runs.="" normally="" i="" would="" only="" do="" three="" per="" week.="" ate="" fairly="" bad="" last=""></ 4:10. oh well. i did four, 4-mile, treadmill barefoot runs. normally i would only do three per week. ate fairly bad last week.>
      jeffdonahue

That is a bummer. Do you think barefoot running had anything to do with the pain?
        I'm not really sure. I have only done really one per week for the last three weeks, but I think I am going to skip it this week to see if that gets rid of the weird pains I have been having. i cant tell whether I should give it up completely or maybe do it more often to get my body used to it. My run at lunch went fairly well. I stayed in and ran on the treadmill just to be safe and avoid hills because lately I have been finding that doing hills can stiffen up my right shin a bit for a while. I did just over 5 miles and it felt pretty good. My right knee was stiff afterwards. i was just a little bummed about yesterdays run because I had planned on it being my first 50 mile week this year and I missed it by just a few miles.
        Ojo

I had a great week last week ending with an awesome -- not a word I use lightly -- run yesterday. It was one of those runs when all 15 miles felt as easy as the one before it. Great day! This week will be tough to fit in all the running -- kids are out of school and I am off work to be with them.

Sara

MM #2929

Jill_B

I fly.

I survived my cold and managed to keep my mileage where I wanted to keep it. Yay. I still have been avoiding my long runs though. I need to get in a few long-long runs before my 1/2 in May (yes, I know it's still February). Anyway, I see no reason to think I won't get my runs in all week this week. Good luck running with the boys around Ojo!

Bring it on.

I am back on track!! My body is feeling great after quite some time suffering through pain. I think my body is finally adjusting to the added milage. I knocked out 55 miles this past week. Aside from a few strides, all the rest of my miles were easy. I am sticking with all easy or long runs until my body can get used to 60 mile weeks. 61 miles planned for this week. I am optimistic at this point, 9 miles and counting...

Ryan

q day

I'm finally feeling motivation creep back into my body and mind. I'm 9 weeks out from my first race and I think that's enough time (if I stay on track) to feel good about my training and post a decent time.

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

I just got back from our cruise today. All I can say about my running this past week is my streak is still alive. I got in 4 one milers over the course of the vacation. I had some pain in my calf/shin today during my run. I am hoping that after a few runs this week that will go away. I'm running in a 5k this coming Saturday.
                  jeffdonahue

Jugdish - sorry to hear about your cafl but glad to see you got the runs in on your cruise (jealous that you were somewhere warm though). Young1 - I am about 4 weeks out from my first race thsi year - a 4 miler to raise money for Diabetes. Right now I am just trying to keep my mileage up and will run it without any real speedwork to prepare just to get a baseline for this year's season. I am still getting that stiffness/soreness in my right shin. It shows up about a mile into my runs or so,and then lasts about 2-3 miles but then loosens up and feels fine for the rest of the run. Weird. I think I will probably try to ice it up tonight and keep the ibuprofen flowing to reduce swelling.
                    jeffdonahue

I am back on track!! My body is feeling great after quite some time suffering through pain. I think my body is finally adjusting to the added milage. I knocked out 55 miles this past week. Aside from a few strides, all the rest of my miles were easy. I am sticking with all easy or long runs until my body can get used to 60 mile weeks. 61 miles planned for this week. I am optimistic at this point, 9 miles and counting...
                      Runinblack, Would you mind posting your schedule for this week. I am planned at having about 60 miles this week and just wondering how you break out the runs as compared to my schedule. Here is mine: Monday - 5 Tuesday - AM 8 miles Tuesda - PM 3 miles Wednesday - 10 miles Thursday - AM 6.5 miles Thursday - PM 3 miles Friday - AM 5 miles Friday - PM 2 miles Saturday - 5.5 miles Sunday - 12 miles That is 60, though I may scrap one of the doubles depending how I am feeling but it will still be my highest mileage week this year. Jeff
                        Jeff, For better or worse, here it is. One double which I am half way through today. I will be doing one long run on Thursday of 12 Miles and the rest will be done at easy pace. I may throw in strides one day or a progression run depending on how I am feeling. If everything holds up, this will be my highest mileage week ever. I am optimistic. I rarely end up sticking exactly to my schedule, usually end up doing some mid-week shuffling to account for how am feeling. Monday - 9 Miles Tuesday AM - 5 Miles Tuesday PM - 6 Miles Wednesday - 6.5 Miles Thursday - 12 Miles Friday - 6.5 Miles Saturday - 9 Miles Sunday - 7 Miles Ryan

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Jeff, For better or worse, here it is. One double which I am half way through today. I will be doing one long run on Thursday of 12 Miles and the rest will be done at easy pace. I may throw in strides one day or a progression run depending on how I am feeling. If everything holds up, this will be my highest mileage week ever. I am optimistic. I rarely end up sticking exactly to my schedule, usually end up doing some mid-week shuffling to account for how am feeling. Monday - 9 Miles Tuesday AM - 5 Miles Tuesday PM - 6 Miles Wednesday - 6.5 Miles Thursday - 12 Miles Friday - 6.5 Miles Saturday - 9 Miles Sunday - 7 Miles Ryan
                          I know what you mean - I just found out we are going skiing on Friday so I probably wont get the second run in after a day on teh slopes, but I should still be able to get 5 done in the morning. This should also be my highest mileage week ever as well. I think I topped off last year around 55. Thanks Jeff
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had a good run today to celebrate my birthday. Smile day 63...
                            jeffdonahue

I had a good run today to celebrate my birthday. Smile day 63...
                              Hey, Happy Birthday!!! doing anything else to celebrate?
                              Jill_B

I fly.

Happy birthday!

Bring it on.