A Mile A Day

Streak over... (Read 130 times)

That's it. Streak over. Cry I came up with a calf strain after my race on 11/29 which I only made worse by running a 9 miler the next day. By Monday, I was limped through a quarter mile and called it quits. It is actually a good time since I am suppose to be taking it a little easy before I begin my spring training schedule... starting base building this week. Good news is I ran 11:36 2 mile in the race which is 24 seconds faster than I ran in 2007. The increased mileage is helping alot. Bad news is the year mark got a little farther away though.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

I dont suppose your 2 miler was in Malden, MA? I just found it funny that I did a 2 mile race that same day. I came in around 13:06 which was about 30 seconds faster than the prior year though I really wanted to break 13:00 which I know I can do since my 5K pace is actually faster than that. I think I just dont like running on a track.
        Nope, I did not run in the Malden, MA race. I ran my 2 mile race in Moline, IL at a local college track. It was not an official race, but I wanted to do a time trial with the goal of breaking the 12 minute mark. I had been floating between 12 to 13 minutes for a few years. I finially got smart (thanks to lots of good folks in RA) and increased my mileage. I was very pleased with my overall effort. I definitely understand why you do not like running on the track for a 2 mile race. 2 Miles on a track is a little bit daunting since there is no change in scenary. It makes you a little bit too aware of how much pain you have left to endure. Even with that said, I do tend run these types of time trials on the track. I like that I can eliminate the hills and get as close to my potential as possible. That is interesting that your 5K pace is faster than what you did in the 2 mile. Most likely it was just an off day since I can see from your log you have had quite a few 5Ks at a faster pace over the prior months. Did you try to run negative splits or did you run the first mile fastest? Maybe some speed work would help? I have been doing some aerobic capacity training sessions with 400m effort and 200m jog which has really increased my confidence for my latest races.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Yeah, I still havent gotten my stride back completely from my marathon a month or so ago. For some reason my motivation level is still really low - probably due to the fact that now that the marathon is over I have no goal in mind for next year. But with that, my mileage has slipped quite a bit from pre-marathon mileage too. But I'm still good with my time. I dropped 30+ seconds and came in 6th place which was enough for my team (the old guys - of which I was the oldest) to win the meet versus the young guys. In my race I was basically gauging myself off the other runners - not really running my own race. After the first lap I had three guys in front of me and I slowly picked them off. One guy passed me (he must have been sandbagging the first 5 laps cause he was flying when he passed me on lap 6 so I didnt even bother trying to catch him). I picked off the last guy with a really large kick at the last half lap. Given teh kick I had left I think I definitely could have gone faster had I spread that energy out over the whole race.
            I am glad to hear that your team won the race. Sounds like the other runners were slowing you down Smile But it must have been a great feeling to being doing most of the passing. If the weather is anything there in MA like it is here in Chicago, motivation is hard to come by. Snow, ice, and cold. In fact it is snowing right now Undecided I think my motivation is sliding too. Oh well, about time to go slosh through an 8 miler.

Ryan

Bugs

Great job on the race. Sorry to hear the streak is over. I am wondering if mine will be over soon. My foot is bothering me. I have a graston appointment with my chiropractor and he has fixed almost everything, but this foot is a new one for me. Graston has worked great for my calf/achilles problems. I've actually switched to treating myself for it, as I tend to get soft tissue injuries easily. I put a little olive oil on my legs, and use the non-cutting side of a butter knife and glide it against the injured area. When injured it will feel rather tingly, and then a huge release. Usually in the next 24 hrs it will feel a little worse, but then it feels perfectly normal.

Bugs

I have to ask.... Olive oil??

Ryan

Bugs

I have to ask.... Olive oil??
                  It works better than lotion or massage oil and cheaper. I was using what is called arnica oil but when I looked at the ingredients it was mostly olive oil. You could use WD40 but that'd be messy. Big grin

Bugs

Reminds me of Kramer and the butter... Smile

Bugs

Big grin Throw out your stick, use your butter knife. If you do try this, don't be too aggressive. It's a deep massage and you can over do it. Stop if you see red dots, which means you will bruise.

Bugs

I just wanted to give an update. I am happy to say that I have finally overtaken my previous streak! Nice to start seeing my longest streak climbing again. I am currently in a base building phase of my training, and I have almost reached the 60 mile a week mark. This was my aim for the current base building cycle. I think that I am going to level out at 60 MPW, then begin incorporating more intense tempo, speed, and hills work. If things go well, I should be well on my way to a 5K PR this Spring. As I near 60 miles per week, I am finding it more strenuous mentally. Being that I am in uncharted territory, I am not sure if this is expected, and I am not sure if this is something that will go away as I get used to the mileage. When I was at 40 Miles per week, it was nice to have a couple 4 mile days which were very easy from a mental standpoint. Now, I look at my schedule and see an hour or more everyday and cringe a bit. The doubles are helping out alot in this regards. I find that it is alot easier mentally to run 2 5-Mile runs in a day, then one 10 miler. I will probably end up settling into a couple of double days a week. Anyhow, time to recovery from my long run. Streak on! Ryan

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Nice job. I hope to be joining you at the 60 mile weeks (in due time of course - should hit 40 this week).
                            Thanks Jeff. Good luck on your build-up to 60 MPW. It's gonna be a good year! Maybe we will both go sub 19 in the 5K this year, what do ya say?

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Thanks Jeff. Good luck on your build-up to 60 MPW. It's gonna be a good year! Maybe we will both go sub 19 in the 5K this year, what do ya say?
                              Well, that's the plan - especially since my wife has shot down any ideas I had for any long races. I had hoped for another marathon or even a 12 HR Ultra they have in the enxt town over, but those are both a no-go. So hoping for something shorter and faster.