A Mile A Day

Weekly Check In -1/26/08 (Read 172 times)

jeffdonahue

So I thought I would start a weekly thread to post whatever you want - problems, accomplishments, issues, questions, whatever... in hopes to stimulate some conversation and keep everyone motivated to keep their streaks going. I'll start. My biggest issue right now is the weather - or more to the point, the temperature. I headed out yesterday planning to do about 9-10 miles and after 5 had to call it quits because I couldnt feel my fingers at all any more. It was 3 degrees, with a windchill of -10. On the upside, the snow in the streets is starting to recede a bit, making hte roads a bit wider and safer to run on. I cant run on the sidewalks because there are just WAY too many inconsiderate people that didnt shovel their sidewalk after the last storm, so they are just a mess. But, forecast shows another 4-6 inches coming on Wednesday. Also, I picked up a treadmill from my parents house yesterday, so at the very least I now have a way to throw in a few (or even a few extra) miles at night to help keep the streak going. My brothers and I had bought the treadmill for them about 5 years ago because they both have heart problems and need to exercise but cant go out in extreme heat or cold. I think in those 5 years, they probably didnt even use it 5 times.
      I concur regarding the weather. I have been logging alot of treadmill miles lately. Sub-zero temperatures over this past weekend kept me indoors for my long run. 13 miles on the treadmill! Dead Even though the high is only slated for 11° today, I need to head outside to keep my sanity intact. In some good news, I checked the 10 day, which shows temps hitting the 30° mark for this weekend and early next week. Let us hope that this trend continues.

Ryan

The cold weather and snow, ice covered roads have been a big challenge for me also. I have a treadmill in my basement so that helps. Too bad the treadmill you wrote about didn't get used, but I bet it will now. On a good note, I have been losing weight and feeling fit/strong. I had my cholesterol checked a couple weeks ago, and the numbers were all good. Good running all.
          Hi Jeff, Yea I can understand the weather I am getting tired of it to.Its about 9 degrees now yesterday was 5 and Sat. was 3 degrees and to top it off its been snowing so the roads are terrible. I can deal with the weather, my main trouble is after going out for a 3 or 4 miles it takes my legs 2 or 3 day to get better. I use the 1 mile a day rule to keep streak going instead of taking rest days off. I am 58 and need to lose some weight so hope that helps, also had a few month layoff in my running before starting this streak so legs might just need to get used to running every day (it can not be becouse Iam 58 LOL). Well I have 25 days so far be 26 after todays run lets hope spring comes early Cool

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

jeffdonahue

lets hope spring comes early Cool
            Yeah, I may have to contract a hit on Punksatawny (sp?) Phil - little bastard has never let us have an early spring. Wink
            Ojo

I am with all of you concerning the weather. I am so tired of being cold! Since I started my running streak, I have been running outside no matter what the weather. I think the only thing I hate more than the cold weather is the gym so I have been avoiding it except to do Pilates. I must admit the thought of this weekend being the Feb 1 makes me feel like it is almost over.

Sara

MM #2929

No weather issues here in Houston, TX, but wait until the summer hits and I will be complaining about the heat and the humdity. Smile I am "closing the gap" so to speak. Meaning I have started a new streak this year, and in a few days there will be no gaps on my running graph. I'm still trying to get used to running everyday again, and I'm starting to get the strength back in my legs and plan to increase my mileage soon. Other than that, its going pretty well, 21 days and counting.
                jeffdonahue

No weather issues here in Houston, TX, but wait until the summer hits and I will be complaining about the heat and the humdity. Smile I am "closing the gap" so to speak. Meaning I have started a new streak this year, and in a few days there will be no gaps on my running graph. I'm still trying to get used to running everyday again, and I'm starting to get the strength back in my legs and plan to increase my mileage soon. Other than that, its going pretty well, 21 days and counting.
                  Nice job jugdish - hang in there. BTW and off-topic, but you really have a category for "drunk run" set up in your log? Does that happen often enough that you need a category of its own? Big grin
                    hehe...well it used to more often than it does now...Smile Now I used that for a night where I don't get home when I planned and had a few, or a bad hangover run.
                    jeffdonahue

Hey, I'm not saying I dont have a couple of those on my log either Wink Just wondering how many tiems someone would have to have done that before they created it's own grouping on the log. I actually had a tough one last April. I went to Denver and my flight didnt get in until around 10:00PM. The guy I was with wanted to grab dinner, so we did (at which I had a couple of beers and a huge pasta dinner). When I got back to the room around 11:30 I realized I hadnt run yet so I went out with my full stomach and my head swimming abit from the alcohol as well.
                        You know I think it really stemmed from one rough (so to speak) week I had last summer. I just kept it in there. I like to see as few of those as possible when I look at my running graph...Smile

Running around the ship

OK...not sure if I'm checking in or commenting on the "drunk/hung-over runs"! I've had plenty of both! :-) Actually right now I AM SICK! Coughing, sneezing, running nose, terribly sore throat, etc. Tongue Today seemed a tad better...a tad! Started last Thursday or so and got bad over the weekend through today. Yesterday was the worse but the fatigued body is starting to catch up to me. No pity party required...just checking in! BTW, I think I'll go get another beer. MIke
                            I also have a running catagory for when I'm sick, but I'd much rather run drunk than sick. More power to ya Mike!
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Travel, busy busy days. I had to get up EXTRA EXTRA early to get my runs in. But it was well worth it; I had a great 9 miler yesterday through Central Park in NYC, and another 5 1/2 miler today. Now I'm tired.
                                Well the last couple days been kind of rough, I got a colonlscope today but the bull#$t starts the day before with the drinking of liquids and no food for about 24 hours, and I like to eat. They said not to run today but I told them I had a streak going so went anyway , good thing you have that 1 mile rule or I would'nt have made it this far, the test where OK ,do not have to go back for 10 years that was good new. I did'nt have any energy running my one mile today think it my have been the stuff they put you under with or no food for 24 hrs. It feels like a heat wave here 28 degree thats lot better 4 well talk at you later.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time