Beginners and Beyond MILES GAME

MILES GAME Posting Link and Some Info (Read 564 times)

aplodder

Susan

Miles Game Site

The Miles Game is a friendly, laid back competition founded in the RWOL Beginners Forum.  The game offers a  fun way to motivate your running and a chance to get to know people in a small group setting (aka the team thread or FB group). Teams consist of both low and high mileage runners. Weekly posting of mileage is all that is required. All are welcome. 

To get started, follow the link above.  Sign up for an account using your main posting ID (either from Runner's World or Running Ahead).  Then post your weekly miles.  You can track miles from Mon-Sun or Sun-Sat, whichever time frame you prefer, as long as you consistently use the same time frame. 

When you first begin posting, you will be assigned to Team Available.  Continue to post weekly, and you will be assigned to a team when there is an open spot.  Those posting the longest on team available will be assigned first.  Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks.  Please be patient. 

Keep in mind that this is for fun and motivation.  Most teams are happy to see their members posting faithfully, whether they are posting high mileage or low. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Updates will be posted both here in this user group and on the Runners World Beginners Forum.  If your team chooses to post mainly on the RA site, we ask that you please use this forum for your team thread.  Doing so will make your team thread easier to find.   It will be up to each team to decide upon which forum to base itself. 

Please feel free to post any questions in this thread. 

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

Thanks for putting this up. 

If anyone sees the Team Free Agents, give them all a shout out.  Tell them about RA.  I am not on FB and don't intend to start which is where I know they post.  I'd love to see them all here. 

Thanks again! 

Tina, Free Agent!Smile

aplodder

Susan

Thanks for putting this up. 

If anyone sees the Team Free Agents, give them all a shout out.  Tell them about RA.  I am not on FB and don't intend to start which is where I know they post.  I'd love to see them all here. 

Thanks again! 

Tina, Free Agent!Smile

Actually, your captain and a team member or two have been spotted over here.  Maybe send her a message about a team thread? 

kettledrum

Thanks for posting this here, am glad it's a sticky - I always missed the info at RWOL.  Posted my (lowly) 1st week's numbers for "available"

aplodder

Susan

You're welcome, and welcome to the game!

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Hello all,

I just signed up for the Miles Game.  I'm excited!  The concept seems really great.  I just have a quick question... when it says to log miles, it is for the week of 12/1/12.  So is this miles for the 1st through the 7th? or the calendar week of 11/26 to the 12/2?  Thanks for your help in advance! Just wanted to make sure I was logging correctly.

aplodder

Susan

Hello all,

I just signed up for the Miles Game.  I'm excited!  The concept seems really great.  I just have a quick question... when it says to log miles, it is for the week of 12/1/12.  So is this miles for the 1st through the 7th? or the calendar week of 11/26 to the 12/2?  Thanks for your help in advance! Just wanted to make sure I was logging correctly.

Hi, and welcome!  The summary must have been run since you posted.  (yesterday).  Sorry, I must have missed your post last night or would have answered sooner.  The current week ID ends on 12/8, which means you can currently post your miles from either Sunday, Dec. 2-Saturday, Dec. 8 OR Monday, Dec. 3-Sunday, Dec. 9.  Either way is fine, so long as you consistently log miles for the same time frame each week. 

Whichever time frame you use, as long as you log your miles by next Wednesday, they will count.  I usually run the game summary and reset the week sometime on Thursday. 

Blaf

Can someone explain when new cycle starts?

Thanks.

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Can someone explain when new cycle starts?

Thanks.

In the Miles Games, which is different from the 2013In2013 Game, you may join at any time and will be assigned a team when an opening occurs and all who joined before you have been assigned to teams. We work in 13 week cycles for the cumulative points, i.e. quarterly, so this cycle will end at the end of December or beginning of January depending on when the week ends, probably 12/29/12 since that's the Saturday closest to New Year's and that's what my unofficial calculation gives as the end of week 13.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Blaf

Thank you wcrunner.

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

aplodder

Susan

Thank you, wcrunner.  That was a much clearer explanation than I would have come up with.  Smile

muppy

I sent an email, however perhaps it was sent to wrong place or lost In space. Anywho, as I had foot surgery may I please be placed on injured reserve. Thank You, Run Muppy of pavement pounders
                          aplodder

Susan

I sent an email, however perhaps it was sent to wrong place or lost In space. Anywho, as I had foot surgery may I please be placed on injured reserve. Thank You, Run Muppy of pavement pounders

I'm sorry to hear this.  I hope you are recovering well.  I will go and put you on IR now.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Could you explain how the points work?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

aplodder

Susan

Could you explain how the points work?

Sure.  Teams are awarded a set number of points for placing each week- 1st place=13, 2nd place=12, 3rd place=10, etc.  The points are added to the team's quarterly total.  At the end of the quarter, the team with the most points wins.  The top 10individual list is just for bragging rights.