Beginners and Beyond MILES GAME

Team Corredores - February 2013 (Read 19 times)

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Good luck at the track meet, are you doing multiple distances or just one?

I'm just going to be smart myself: if I'm going to be doing mutiple quality runs a week, I might keep the mileage below 75 for the next month or two. It won't win me any awards in this game, but this year is supposed to be all about the PR and I really want 'em. Smile

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well I shook off my lethargy yesterday and ran 7.8 miles include 13 x .2 miles at 5K pace.

Greg, I plan to run both the mile and 800m. Since this is my last planned track meet I'm shooting for my 7:45 goal, then whatever I have left for the 800m, though 3:30 would be really nice. I think both are probably a stretch at this time based on my training, but I don't want to allocate any more time for track races this spring as I turn my training to NC 24.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hi everybody - I introduced myself over at RW but thought I'd do the same. I'm a beginner, running 10-15 miles/week at this point, slowly building that up over time (hopefully). I'm indoors only for now, but will be running outdoors in the Spring. I travel for work every other week and was hoping to run outside in Tampa this week but it was thunderstormy. Sad

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

George - Here's hoping you kick some butt in the 800 and mile, after seeing some of the runners in my club, age is definitely not a factor. One guy just went off and set some new Alberta Masters records in both the 1000 and 1500 metre distance on the indoor track though I thought one of the funniest parts was from his RR when he talked about the pre-race massage:

While I was on the table getting a massage by a young lady, a young lad (~18 yr) gets on a massage table beside me and after looking over at me says to his massage therapist-in-training, "I guess, even the coaches get massages." To which I reply, "Actually, I am not a coach, I am running today.”  A little surprised that I had heard him and spoke up, he asked, “Oh, you mean the race walking?” [The race walkers had just finished the 3000m and they were all masters]. I clarified, “No I am running the open men 1500m." The young lad then asked how old I was and what time I hope to run for 1500m. I told him.  I guess he was somewhat impressed, because he said he wished his Dad could still run track with him.  He wished me luck and called me "Sir".  

For the record, he ran a 4:24!! Shocked

DoctorK4 - Welcome! Here's hoping you run tons of miles and have fun, while this Miles Game is more motivational than competitive, it can definitely help kick you out the door to get those miles you need. I think we're all from different parts of the continent and from different age groups, so have fun, ask questions, and run lots!!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

I turned up the incline on the treadmill for the first time. I've only been running since January 2nd so this was a big step for me, plus I'm still a little tentative about my right hamstring which I have a history of pulling and cramped up on my last week. But it felt OK and I was able to do almost 3 miles on my lunch break. I could feel that I was working a little harder with the 1% incline but that effort should pay off when I transition to outdoor running if and when the weather ever warms up.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Despite this month suffering from too many days missed because of the cold (temps) or colds (cough), I've already exceeded last year's total after three months. Ran some short, fast repeats to prep for Sunday's track meet. Not the most pleasant workout in 17F windchill and 20 mpw winds. At least with Sunday being indoors I won't have to cope with the cold temps or wind.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Philliefan33

DoctorK4-- welcome to the team.   I second what Greg said-- have fun and ask questions. I often learn things I didn't know I needed to learn, just because someone asks a question.

George, good luck at your meet this weekend. Indoor meets always seemed frenetic to me when I was watching my daughter.

Im growing weary of the cold weather. I find myself opting for the treadmill more often this month than in January. I don't know if the weather has been nastier or if I'm just being a wimp. I feel like I'm keeping close to my plan to prepare for the HM at the end of April, but some more daylight and warmer weather would make it easier to do the long runs I have planned between now and then.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The mile was a virtual repeat of 4 weeks ago and I just barely sqeaked in under 8:00 at 7:59.83. The 800m was a complete turn-around and I took 4 seconds off my season best in 3:34.46. Both races were run solo with no other runners anywhere near except at the start and when they lapped me.

ETA: Race Report

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

What day are we supposed to enter our miles again?

I logged 13 miles last week, running 30 minutes each day M-F. My plan was to do a long run (for me) of 5 miles Saturday, but my legs were pretty dead as that was already the most miles I had run and I didn't want to overextend myself. I took Saturday and Sunday off.

I was back on the treadmill at lunch today and felt much fresher and was able to sustain a 6.5 mile pace for most of my run, kicking it up to 7.0 mph for five minutes and finishing with a minute at 8.0 mph. Just trying to have a little fun and challenge myself.

I'm travelling from the snowy Northeast to Miami tomorrow morning for three days and I hope to be able to run outdoors for the first time this year at least one day. If possible I'll get my five mile run in at an easy pace.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What day are we supposed to enter our miles again?

I logged 13 miles last week, running 30 minutes each day M-F. My plan was to do a long run (for me) of 5 miles Saturday, but my legs were pretty dead as that was already the most miles I had run and I didn't want to overextend myself. I took Saturday and Sunday off.

I was back on the treadmill at lunch today and felt much fresher and was able to sustain a 6.5 mile pace for most of my run, kicking it up to 7.0 mph for five minutes and finishing with a minute at 8.0 mph. Just trying to have a little fun and challenge myself.

I'm travelling from the snowy Northeast to Miami tomorrow morning for three days and I hope to be able to run outdoors for the first time this year at least one day. If possible I'll get my five mile run in at an easy pace.

You need to log them before aplodder posts weekly results on Thursday. I use a Sunday through Saturday week, so I post on Saturday after my run.

Be sure some of those runs are easy so you get recovery between long or hard runs. Watch out for that heat and humidity. It can sneak up on you when you aren't used to it. You shouldn't need water on your runs in Miami, but be sure you're well hydrated before and rehydrate after.

Damaris, aka Docket_Rocket, lives in Miami. Sounds like an opportunity for an FE (forum encounter) if you'd like to meet one of our Beginners and Beyond legends in real life.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

It was low 80's and 15 mph winds so the conditions were challenging. The sidewalks were constantly going up and down and turning left and right through the private community I was running in (should have run in the street I guess where it's flat and straight) but I managed 5.4 miles in an hour, which is actually faster than I wanted to go, and includes walking warm up and cool down, plus a couple of times I walked while I was drinking some water.

I've been reliant on the treadmill clock for pace and for checking my cadence so it was a little bit tricky. Not sure I'll have the chance to get out today with a long day and rain in the forecast. But it was very different to be outside rather than staring at the treadmill!