Raleigh, NC and surrounding area

Hi! (Read 567 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, guys! This group's been really quiet lately... Anyone planning on running any races soon? I'm shooting down to Wilmington and will be running in the TriSpan 5K in a week and a half. Unforunately I'm working on the 4th so I won't be running here then. What about you guys?

Roads were made for journeys...

I'm back... again... this time, I am committed to keep running consistently. I had moved up one belt notch and new it was time. I had the talk with my girlfriend to elicit her support (which is necessary for me to do this) and have been running about 2-3 times a week now. I want to work up to 4 times a week. I waited until I had a few weeks of runs logged before writing in to be sure that I was serious. I am planning a 5K in Raleigh on 9/30, a 10K in Raleigh in Novemer, and then either the 14 miler at Run at the Rock - or a half-marathon - in December. What are others doing?
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Jeffers. Good to have ya back. I've been having fun with little injuries, and am just starting to feel back up to running more than 4 miles/wk. I hope to rebuild my mileage bit by bit. I'm heading up to Winston Salem to run in the 10K trail race being held there on Sept 22. I am really hoping to be up for the 7 miler at the Run at the Rock in Dec. I tried the 14 miler last year and had to quit after 7. This year I'm shooting for the 7... That is a tough race! Last year mud was a HUGE factor for me, too... Hopefully this year the ground will be drier.

I know a thing or two about injuries... I wish you luck on your come-back! Whoa... mud? Anything else I should know about the terrain? If it is too bad, I may do the half-marathon in Raleigh the following weekend. Have fun in Winston Salem!
          Wingz

Professional Noob

It's a trail race in the true sense of the word. The description is "challenging" and they are correct. There are stream crossings. There are hills. There are boulders. And last year, when it'd been raining for a few days, there was mud. Everyone slipped and fell at least once. The leader of the 14 mile race fell just after he passed me during my first (and only) lap. He bounced right back up and kept on going. Don't expect fast times. Do expect to be challenged.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Are you kidding??? Yeah, the website doesn't accurately reflect the actual race conditions! Wow, it sounds like a great experience (albeit, quite humbling). I may try the 7 miler next year, but I don't think it is quite what I want this year. I think I will set my sights on the half-marathon the following weekend. Thanks for the information!