Raleigh, NC and surrounding area

New to the group (Read 499 times)

Hello All! My name is Ric and I just turned 50 in April and live in Clayton. My goal is to run a Marathon before 51 (just like my brother did). I hope to meet some of y'all on the road.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Ric. Happy belated birthday! Is there a particular marathon you're looking at? From my non-marathonning perspective, April's practically just around the corner, marathon-wise.

Roads were made for journeys...

Actually I will attempt the Surf City USA® Marathon on February 1, 2009. Only 5 months away!

Future running partner.

WELCOME! How long have you been running for? Five months is a pretty short window, to train for a first marathon. There are some pretty good groups on here for getting advice. It would probably be a good idea to keep a journal on one of them, so others can see your progress and give you pointers. In some cases it will keep you in check, when your wanting to push to hard or too fast. I.E. It's good to have some objective views of your preparation. Good Luck! Marathon Group RA Coaching Group
          Wingz

Professional Noob

WELCOME! How long have you been running for? Five months is a pretty short window, to train for a first marathon. There are some pretty good groups on here for getting advice. It would probably be a good idea to keep a journal on one of them, so others can see your progress and give you pointers. In some cases it will keep you in check, when your wanting to push to hard or too fast. I.E. It's good to have some objective views of your preparation. Good Luck! Marathon Group RA Coaching Group
            +1 Hope it goes well for ya!

Thanks for your supportive words. I have just started running, but I am more interested in finishing than how fast I run at the Feb. race. With steady increases in my endurance for the rest of the year, I believe I can meet this goal. Ric

Future running partner.

I am more interested in finishing than how fast I run at the Feb. race. With steady increases in my endurance for the rest of the year, I believe I can meet this goal.
                Definately the right approach. I am using the same one myself. I've been running for a year and a half, but since May, I just started training for my first marathon in November (City of Oaks). I've actually slowed usual running pace way down in order to handle the kind of increases in mileage I need to be prepared. My goal is just to finish as well. On your runs are you running the whole time or are you mixing segments of walking with running?
                  On your runs are you running the whole time or are you mixing segments of walking with running?
                  I am definitely mixing my segments and am walking more than running. This will carry on all the way to the marathon where I will be liberally mixing in walking breaks in my run. I don't expect to get to a point where I can run for an entire full marathon. In addition to the achievement and health benefit of the training, I want this to be a fun experience.

Future running partner.

It sounds like you have a good plan then. The walking will definately allow you to cover alot more distance without putting so much stress on your legs. Just make sure you listen to your body and let yourself rest when things start to get sore while your running.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

I've recently switched over to run/walking myself. There's a Galloway/run/walk group here, but it looks like everybody stopped posting back in June. What's up with that??? I'm going to see if I can get it going again, as I *know* there are more run/walk people out there...