Raleigh, NC and surrounding area

Hey Ya'll (Read 361 times)

I'm new to runningahead and live in the Triangle. Just wanted to say hey to everyone! I'm currently training for the Myrtle Beach half in February and the Ellerbe marathon in March. Anyone else here running either of those races?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Shelly! No, not planning on either of them. I'm hoping to travel for the Cincinnati Flying Pigs HM in May, but that might fall through. My big goal race this year is the Outer Banks marathon in Nov. You know, you don't have to put the height/weight info in the profile if you don't want to. Just leave it blank and it won't show up at all. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

You know, you don't have to put the height/weight info in the profile if you don't want to. Just leave it blank and it won't show up at all. Wink
        I know I don't have to, but where's the fun in being online without a little anonymity? Wink Good luck with the OBX marathon. It looks like a lot of fun. I wanted to do the half last year, but with that, the Wilmington Battleship half and Old Reliable all being on the same day, it makes it tough to choose. Well, that, and I work at the United Way so I don't have much choice - I have to do Old Reliable! Oops. Blew my cover. So much for anonymity. Happy trails.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I did the Old Reliable 10K this year. It was good... if a little cold, wet, and windy. Wink I don't remember there being a HM at the same time. I did get to see the 5K finish, though, and that was cool. The leaders were just flying down the street. Are you a member of the NCRoadrunner's club? I'm not, but I've run with them before.

I've never run with them, although I keep meaning to. Mostly I think it's the fact that they meet so early! I'm too lazy for a 6:30am run. I used to run with the women's only group at Fleet Feet in Carrboro though. They have group runs followed by seminars on nutrition, stretching, etc. It's a pretty good group of gals. Mostly I run at Umstead, both Tobacco Trails, Duke Forest and Black Creek Greenway. And at the gym. Dead I'm always looking for new spots though - any recommendations?
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Hmm... well, I don't know if it'd be worth the drive - depends on where you're starting from... but the greenways in Raleigh are nice. Try the one near the Raleigh Art Museum - it's easy to find and you can park there free. Greenways run a couple of different directions. It's a handful of miles to a side entrance of Umstead if you go one way (and if you want a long run you can continue on on the roads in the park), or you can wind through some outdoor sculptures, even head onto the Merideth College campus if you go another. If you're looking for shorter loops, in Raleigh: Lake Pine in Apex and Shelly Lake in Raleigh have a 2 mile loop (blacktop) while Lake Lynn is (I think) 2.25. In Umstead, I like the Sal's Branch trail behind the visitor's center. It's only 2.6, but you can run it twice for a nice 5.2 run. If you haven't done it, stop in at the visitor's center - last year they gave me a copy of a trail map that some runner had gone and detail marked in all the distances of the different trails, from intersection - to - intersection. Much more information than is on their standard trail map. Very nice for figuring out how far you went if you're not a GPS person...