Raleigh, NC and surrounding area

Anyone training for the City Of Oaks marathon/HM this year? (Read 820 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm thinking of giving it a go to train for the half this November. I feel like I'll barely have enough time to get ready from where I'm starting, but I'd like to do it. Anyone else going for it?

Roads were made for journeys...

rlemert

I'll be volunteering again this year. I like to focus on the 2nd Empire Grand Prix in the fall, and I think my new cyber coach would have a fit if I tried to fit this into my schedule as well. I'll probably aim for the Raleigh Rock's Half in the spring.

Future running partner.

I'll be running the full mary, with a goal of just finishing comfortably. This will be my first full one. Wink
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I'll be running the full mary, with a goal of just finishing comfortably. This will be my first full one. Wink
          Good luck!!!

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'll be volunteering again this year. I like to focus on the 2nd Empire Grand Prix in the fall, and I think my new cyber coach would have a fit if I tried to fit this into my schedule as well. I'll probably aim for the Raleigh Rock's Half in the spring.
            That's great that you're volunteering. I may pass you! Tongue I'm not familiar with the Raleigh Rock... <google searches=""></google>

Wingz

Professional Noob

Future running partner.

Good luck!!!
                YOU TOO!!! My first half in va beach last year was quite an experience. You'll be fine. Some freinds of mine ran the va bch half on almost no training and did ok. They were sore, for a couple of days, but they were fine.

Future running partner.

BTW, My wife and I are running a 5k on 8/30 in Knightdale. It's sponsored by Black Belt World, Janell. It will be the DW's first 5k. Here the link Knightdale 5k. Tom
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

BTW, My wife and I are running a 5k on 8/30 in Knightdale. It's sponsored by Black Belt World, Janell. It will be the DW's first 5k. Here the link Knightdale 5k. Tom
                    Interesting! Thanks for the heads up! I may be working that day (not sure!) but if I'm not I'll be there!

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I will be going for a BQ at the Oaks marathon this year. Hopefully 4th time is the charm. Oh yea, I am also doing every one of the 2nd empire races(9 this year), the ATT 10 miler, Old reliable 10K, and maybe the run at the rock 14 miler! If I don't get the BQ in Raleigh then I will do Charlotte again as well. I know I have a running addiction! I did at least 16 races in the spring. I would like to get a few more than that in the fall.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, JDF, good luck with your BQ! *crosses fingers* After a closer look, I realized I could run in the Battleship HM just a week later and run with and spend that weekend with a friend of mine. Since my work situation is such that I only get one of these weekends off, I think I'll do the Battleship. Ok, it took me like 20 seconds to decide that... and only because I don't like making sudden changes of plans. Tongue Plus, an extra week to train is always good! Tomorrow I do my first "long" run since May... I'm going for 4 miles. I'm hoping that this is the first in a series of progressively longer long runs that'll leave me able to complete the HM without hurting myself. That's my goal - finish, running, injury-free. The other 2 I've run in I've gotten IT band problems during the race, so my goal is to avoid that. I've not had any new injuries in about 3 months (been uber-conservative) and I'm hopeful I'll be able to continue that trend. Heh. If I am no faster than I was in May '07 I'll still PR if I can keep from hurting my knees during the race! I had to walk a bunch of it. Undecided

Future running partner.

I'm sure that Battleship is a much flatter course as well. Good luck, and keep it up!
                            I was debating both City of Oaks and Battleship, but I think that I have settled on the Outer banks Half-marathon the same weekend as battleship... one last beach trip before the year is out. I too have had IT band problems with past distance runs (one half and one full)... so I hope to share in your injury-free training goodness!
                              I've decided to run the Outer Banks Marathon. It will be my first full mary. I've also had IT problems in past half marathons, so I (finally) consulted a physical therapist. Hopefully, that will fix my wonky left leg problem before the big race at the beach:-) Best of luck to everyone!
                              dukefan86

I'll be running the City of Oaks Half, my first half marathon! I started out training with the Raleigh Galloway training group a few months ago, but have been doing long runs on my own the past few weekends. Looking forward to Nov. 2!