Running Readers

Audiobooks (Read 593 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have "read" the following in the past 2 weeks: David Sedaris: Barrel Fever & Naked (Naked was OK...BF was AWESOME!) Chelsea Handler: Are you there, Vodka? It's me, Chelsea ...hilarious I have 3 more Sedaris audiobooks and another Handler one on hold at the library if people will ever return them...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've never really gotten into audiobooks. Never really interested me, I guess.
      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I run to listen to audiobooks. Or I listen to audiobooks while running. The bottom line is, audiobooks are great while running. I can keep it low enough to still hear traffic, but then I have a pleasant distraction from all that breathing noise. I am listening to Interview with a Vampire. Really good.
          I run to listen to audiobooks. Or I listen to audiobooks while running. The bottom line is, audiobooks are great while running. I can keep it low enough to still hear traffic, but then I have a pleasant distraction from all that breathing noise. I am listening to Interview with a Vampire. Really good.

I would love to do this on the regular.  Are there certain types/genre's of books you find are more conducive?

I would love to listen to lectures, too.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Carl A

I like to listen to audiobooks while commuting (90 min each weekday). The local libraries have tons of books on cassettes and CDs.

I've had to go and get the book to read a few chapters when a CD wouldn't play because it was scratched. I'd say that for me the listening experience is similar to actual reading, especially when you're just into the story of the thing--wanting to find out what happens next.

I'll have to try ripping some CDs for running!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

The Kite Runner is an excellent audio book.  It's read by the author, too.  He did a fantastic job.  I heard the girl who read A Thousand Splendid Suns for the audio version sucked, so I bought the book.

I just finished The Alchemist, via audio.  It was ok.  Kept my interest but wasn't a great book.  I got really tired of the guy saying "the soul of the world" in his british accent.

Also "read" The Five People You Meet in Heaven while commuting, that was a good read.

I'm going to start Elegance of the Hedgehog tonight at the gym.

I love audio books.  Smile  I get tired of the radio and the same ol' playlist on my iPod.  Next I'll get the Sedaris books.  I need something funny and/or engaging to listen to or I get bored.  Once I bought Silas Mariner to listen to, thinking audio books were a great way to get in the classics... I must have listened to the first CD a dozen times before I gave up. 

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am currently midway through the first Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum book...I just have 14 more books to finish the series! Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Once I bought Silas Mariner to listen to, thinking audio books were a great way to get in the classics... I must have listened to the first CD a dozen times before I gave up. 

HaI once tried to listen to Dickens on a stationary bike and almost fell off.

Thanks for the all the recommendations!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I have been listening to audiobooks lately since the city I live in decided to tear up the freeway and has now added at least 30 minutes to my commute home every day (which was already 30 minutes long). 

All the Chelsea Handler books are awesome, but especially Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea.

Bill Bryson - I'm a Stranger Here Myself (funny guy, I love all his books... but the side effect of being an American living in England for 20 years has left him with just enough of an English accent to make him sound like a pompous ass).

David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day .  About halfway through I thought this was very depressing and not all that funny but then the stories got funnier and I loved the last half.

MTA:  thought I'd add Dave Barry to the list.  He is one funny man.  LOVE his new book, I just got it on audio over the weekend and am half-way through listening to it.  It's called I'll Mature When I'm Dead

Michelle

I've been listening to "The Help" on audio this week, and while I haven't finished it yet, I can already say it's the very best audiobook I've ever listened to.  It's read by 3 separate women, so each main character has her own voice, rather than one person trying (often unsuccessfully) to be all 3 people.  The readers they chose for this are spectacular, too.  Simply a stunning book.  Even if the story wasn't first rate, the reading is.  Buy it. 

Michelle

Carl A

I skipped my lunchbreak run today to go out to my truck and listen to Pat Conroy's South of Broad some more.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Ostrich runner

The last audiobook I heard was Raintree County about 18 years ago. I should get a few of these now that I drive 40k miles a year.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum