Running Readers

Born to Run - worth the hype? (Read 587 times)

Carl A

I haven't yet read Born to Run, but I'm wondering if anyone here liked it or disliked it and would be willing to explain why.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I read it and really liked it.  Others can provide more detail than I am willing to type but a good story with interesting characters.  It is short and would be worth the read.
      Carl A

Thanks - I'll look into getting a copy!

I haven't yet read Born to Run, but I'm wondering if anyone here liked it or disliked it and would be willing to explain why.

Got it for Christmas and just started it....LOVING it so far, the writer is quite humorous and I'm really looking forward to the read (I'm only in Chapter 4)

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Running safely

I listened to it as an audiobook. I was stuck in traffic in Atlanta while listening to it and did not mind one bit. It was well written. Even if you don't agree with his philosophy you will enjoy the well written story.

Here is my review of it at my blog.

http://www.mythoughtspot.com/2009/11/22/book-review-born-to-run/

dpeach

I listened to the audiobook during long runs for a few weeks and it was great! It was during the hottest part of summer and it really helped me zone out of the heat and suffering and get into the story and next thing you know I'm done and eager to get inside and finish the chapter's track. I also got enough content to fill a 15 minute speech about the book for my public speaking class and my class was as captivated as I was, and I was the only runner amongst them.

My little "review" I put up on Facebook can be found either HERE or just take the copy n paste I did below;

If I could use one word to sum up how I felt about this book, it would be "wow".

One word, however wouldn't be sufficient to describe how well written and entertaining McDougall's story is. Filled with unique characters and the ability to keep the ideas in the book running through your head for days, this book can very easily invigorate your long runs and even make you WANT to run if you never have previously.

I could easily relate to McDougall's nagging injuries seeing as I've joined the ranks of the injury-laden runners myself. Reading how he left his injuries behind and got to the point of running a 50 mile trail/mountain race in Mexico resonated deeply for me and is extremely inspiring.

For a nonfiction book, I couldn't help but feel I was reading a novel, and a highly engaging novel at that. I would recommend this book to any sort of runner out there.

Whether you run on a regular basis or just chase your kids around the house, you are bound to get a kick out of this book.

Much thanks to my Dad and Stepmom for this excellent Christmas present.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

I bought the book at the urging of a friend.  I found it humorous and inspiring.  I have been fighting some issues, both mental and physical, and this book helped get me out there again.  Good read!

"It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
                  Carl A

Thanks again for the recommendations. My local libraries don't seem to be carrying it, so I'm going to have to get myself a real copy of my very own.

Carl A

A good friend lent me this book last week ago.

I'm laughing that I typed "hype" in the heading, because so far this book has been as anti-hype as any running books that I've read so far.

Hennie108

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The characters are very entertaining, and the book very well written. I found the book very inspirational and thought provoking.

I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in running or just a general good read.