Running Readers

Bowerman and the Men of Oregon (Read 615 times)

PWL

Has been

Heard good things about this book so I picked it up last weekend. I'm only a chapter in but it seems like it's going to be an interesting read. I'll let you know!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

PWL

Has been

So I'm about a half dozen or so chapters into the book, and I'm getting a creepy old man vibe from the Bill Bowerman story. Something about rubbing sports cream on one of the college kids "special parts". Hmm...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Did you read anything about "key branding"? I just watched "Without Limits" recently, and I wondered about that scene in the sauna.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Did you read anything about "key branding"? I just watched "Without Limits" recently, and I wondered about that scene in the sauna.
          That's in the book, as is Bowerman's odd habit of occasionally peeing on a runner's leg in the shower. He was definitely a strange dude, but i recommend the book highly. Kenny Moore is an excellent writer, and there's a ton of information about Oregon runners, the Olympics, and the formation of Nike.
            I'm reading this book now. Most of the way through it. I highly recommend it. It feels like a history of competitive running. I like how the author was really part of the history-it makes it interesting to read his take on a lot of the different characters (I choose that word carefully).
            mattw1970

Injured

I don't get the creepy old man vibe at all. I get that Bowerman was an amazing man on so many levels and I find it to be a fascinating read! Moore did an amazing job writing this book and I highly recommend it!
              INJURED