Running Readers

Good Books? (Read 440 times)

AC Drech

So- I really don't like reading- unless I have a really good book that I'm really into. Anyway- my mom is making me do all this reading this summer and I could use some good book ideas. I like anything- especially fiction, adverture, and sci fiction.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

~AC

Carl A

AC,

Not sure how old you are, but if you're in high school you could read some of the standards: Great books that I'm glad I read at that age include The Catcher in the Rye and The Call of the Wild. Once a Runner would also probably be a great one to read as a teen. A science fiction / comedy book that I liked was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

You could also go back through the posts in this forum for some great ideas.

Good luck!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Depends on what you like.  The Kite Runner is good and you'll learn something about that culture, too. 

The Great Gatsby I read when I was a freshman in high school - LOVED it.  It's a classic but easy to read. 

The Book Thief is fantastic (Marcus Zusak).  My friend teaches it to her high school honors english class... it's classified as "young adult" but I'm 36 and it's got to be one of the top 5 books I've read, ever.  Read it.  You'll be glad you did.

Michelle

Purdey

Self anointed title

AC,

Not sure how old you are, but if you're in high school you could read some of the standards: Great books that I'm glad I read at that age include The Catcher in the Rye and The Call of the Wild. Once a Runner would also probably be a great one to read as a teen. A science fiction / comedy book that I liked was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

You could also go back through the posts in this forum for some great ideas.

Good luck!

Agree with this.  However, if you are reading for education you should recognise that "Once a Runner" is not a great piece of literature.  It is a great story, especially if you enjoy running, but the style and grammar are, at times, awkward and at times downright wrong!  Don't let this put you off though.

Depends on what you like.  The Kite Runner is good and you'll learn something about that culture, too. 

The Great Gatsby I read when I was a freshman in high school - LOVED it.  It's a classic but easy to read. 

The Book Thief is fantastic (Marcus Zusak).  My friend teaches it to her high school honors english class... it's classified as "young adult" but I'm 36 and it's got to be one of the top 5 books I've read, ever.  Read it.  You'll be glad you did.

I really agree on The Book Thief and the Great GatsbyAll Quiet on the Western Front is also a classic which is easy to read. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I loved The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies in high school. The Chrysalids and Flowers for Algernon are pretty interesting too.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It's not a great work of literature but a fantastic story that will likely last you the rest of the summer, but check out the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. 

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

If you like thrillers and crime then I think 'Shutter Island' by Dennis Lehane is excellent.

One day the world will be ready for you and wonder how they didn't see.

If you like thrillers and crime then I think 'Shutter Island' by Dennis Lehane is excellent.

I'll second that one....GREAT read, the movie comes out soon with DiCaprio, directed by Scorsese...Niiiiiccceeee

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.