Running Readers

What Book Are You Reading Right Now? (Read 1345 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A little quiet in here so maybe this will help. What book are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it? I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) again. I've read it over and over. I think it's one everyone should read. Love it! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'm reading The Mind of Clover - Essays in Zen Buddhist Ethics by Robert Aitken. Enjoying it? Somewhat.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A little quiet in here so maybe this will help. What book are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it? I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) again. I've read it over and over. I think it's one everyone should read. Love it! Big grin
        I love TKAM -- I've read it a kazillion times, but that's mostly because I teach 9th grade English so I have to teach it every year. I love introducing kids to it. Many of them think they won't like it but they usually do. They really love the second half -- the whole courtroom drama. I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I'm enjoying it, but it's really long so it will take me a while. I'm a fast reader, but I'm also taking care of my 2-month old baby all the time!

Traffic Secrets 2.0. Basically, it's a 300 page transcript of a guy talking for 18 hours, although I pulled the audio out of the video files, sped them up, and can now listen to it in 11.5 hours instead. Being a southerner, he is very easily understandable despite the faster tempo. (I finished listening to it all twice through already on my daily commute, just haven't finished reading through the transcripts.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Carl A

The Castle, by Franz Kafka (some paperback translation). I'm reading it on work breaks, and it's taking me forever to finish!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Advanced Marathoning - Pfitzer. I'm sad.

Advanced Marathoning - Pfitzer. I'm sad.
                One of my favorite running books. Don't be sad.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Big grin

Running safely

I am reading Hostage. It is a book about the American Missionaries who were captured in Panama by Columbian Guerrillas in 1993. It is very poorly written, but the story is fascinating. I am only reading every other chapter--the ones that talk about the kidnapping, not the chapters about the events leading up to it all.
                    PWL

Has been

The Castle, by Franz Kafka (some paperback translation). I'm reading it on work breaks, and it's taking me forever to finish!
                      Good book. I love Kafka. Currently I am reading T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom. It's pretty good thus far. It's definitely interesting to see some of the history of Western involvement in that region of the world. The writing leaves a bit to be desired, but it is manageable.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I received The Dark Tower Book 7 as a Father's Day present, but hadn't quite finished the series up to that point, so I picked up the ones I didn't already own at a local discount bookstore, and am currently working my way through them. I am on Book 3 (?) now (The Drawing Of The Three) and will skip Wizard and Glass and Wolves Of The Calla, as I just read those two recently and remember them well. So I guess from here I go to Song of Susannah before I get to read my Father's Day present. I am really enjoying this series - it reminds me a lot of Greek and Roman mythology, and the hero's quest theme you find a lot there - complete with the foibles and failings of each of the main characters (except Jake - I haven't seen him show a dark side yet). I highly recommend them - they are not the typical Stephen King horror fare.

Top 'O the World!

...an odd stack of Father Andrew M. Greeley's Irish books....mentally trying to check out till race day...
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            I love TKAM -- I've read it a kazillion times, but that's mostly because I teach 9th grade English so I have to teach it every year. I love introducing kids to it. Many of them think they won't like it but they usually do. They really love the second half -- the whole courtroom drama. I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I'm enjoying it, but it's really long so it will take me a while. I'm a fast reader, but I'm also taking care of my 2-month old baby all the time!
                            Great book. I've read just about everything Follet has put out, and this one of my favorites. He has a companion story out now, World Without End, which continues the story a couple of hundred years down the road.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Last week I finished re-reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I re-read it because I felt like I sort of skimmed it the first time. You've probably seen Trent mention Mr. Pollan's articles and/or books around RA and I bought this one and another book by Mr. Pollan called In Defense of Food on Trent's suggestion. I learned a lot about where our food comes from - in particular how much corn and oil play into the American food production process. Mr. Pollan is a gifted writer and he took me on a journey of four different meals from Mc Donald's to a meal he prepared only from foods that he hunted, gathered, harvested. An interesting read for sure. This weekend I finished A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Not normally my thing, but it was one of those books I started years ago and never finished. Found it in my office the other day and decided to finish it. Learned a little about physics and crossed off some unfinished business. It's a bit dated but a good overview of theoretical physics for the "layman". I also read Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner. With a subtitle of Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth About Reality, how could I pass it up? If you're into or interested in Zen, Brad's book cuts to the chase on the subject of reality without all the sugar coating found in other texts on Zen. His writing style is entertaining and I finished the book in an afternoon. Good read. Next up are a couple murder mysteries to give myself a break from the non-fiction kick.

I randomly picked up Breakpoint by Richard A. Clarke off the bargain table the last time I was at the bookstore. And I'm glad I did. I lied about reading a murder mystery next, because this one is more along the lines of a technology/terrorism deal. I'll definitely be looking for the rest of his work. Mr. Clarke knows how to write them. Next up in the batter's box is Roman Blood by Steven Saylor. This one is supposed to be a murder mystery set in ancient Rome.