Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Docket_Rocket

Funny how you reminded me that my favorite pre long run breakfast is something I never eat.  Fruit loops!  Sorry, your oats and honey reminded me of that.

Docket - Thanks! Its' true, a PR is a PR.

Simon- fantastic that you have been married for 38 years! at the 10k a couple running together had shirts on saying they were running for their 50th wedding anniversary- so awesome!  My parents have been married for 35 years now and my husband's parents for 50 years (they had him later in life), so I'm really hoping that good karma passes down my way (I figure, at least a good portion of that has got to be putting in the hard work to make marriage a partnership! Hehe and he comes to races with me even though he hates anything longer than 400m.

Indiana- Enjoy your celebration - I hear you on the eating- I am entering the higher mileage phase of training, where I actually lost 6 lbs before Philly - hoping to repeat that !

Mdawg- The book is about taking your career by the horns - and it points out a lot of the subtle sexism in corporate america- I can only say I have experienced most of those things (by some well intentioned people).

Me- 20 miles today.  First time I ever ran 20 in training.  I felt great this morning and decided to just go for it.  I tried a bit of a fueling change as well - I had oats with honey before I went out, then a gu at mile 10, watered down my water with powerade zero, and then a banana immediately after the run, followed by more powerade zero, and a salad w/ small serving of chicken and a slice of bread.  I probably got the 60g carbs I need in, plus a little protein- I am hoping that it is helpful!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Flinders, nice runs even if your week was too busy!

AmiK, glad to hear you're back into action.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Docket - that's awesome.  I really don't eat oatmeal either unless its a long run day, especially with honey- I like fruit a lot in the morning, but before long runs, always oatmeal.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Trail Monster

Congrats on the PR's Roll and Indy!

i see big mileage from a few of you! Must be getting close to race season! Wink

I ran a PR week, 62 miles despite missing one day of running. I should have had 70+. Ran a half marathon yesterday in 2:02:14 which is an official PR (I ran 13.1 in 2:01 during another race a few weeks ago). I also took third in my age group. Yay for small races! Ran 7.5 more later in the day and 15 today. I'd say my first week of b2b's was a success! 12 days to NC24!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

onemile

Sprinkles - way to knock out a 20!

Mdawg - 9 miles is great... back in the saddle again, huh Smile

D - I can't imagine liking the Hokas. They seem so... marshmallow-y.  Nice run.

Banshee - great week!  60 miles and a HM PR!

Amik - nice run yesterday. The wind has sucked here too.

Simon - happy anniversary!

Everyone else - lots of great running this weekend!  I got in 10 yesterday and 10 today making 60 for the week.  Less than 2 weeks til race day!!!!

Meant to say thanks earlier to RVD for the carb loading link- very interesting and something I never heard of before.

Banshee, a great week! How in the world did you run again the same day you ran a half? I am trashed for most of the next week!

Cbus, keep plugging along, it will get better.

Flinders, pretty quick pace for that distance, nice.

Thanks to all for the congratulations. Hilly 8 miles for me today.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Trail Monster

Thanks OM!

Simon, I have no idea. HM's really feel like nothing now. I guess training for ultras has that effect. They kind of feel like 5k's used to. I feel like I'm running really hard and fast and then it's over before I know it. Once I cross the line and eat and drink something I'm good to go again.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Docket_Rocket

I cannot eat oatmeal because I would have to stop 20 times to use the restroom.  Too much fiber in it.

Docket - that's awesome.  I really don't eat oatmeal either unless its a long run day, especially with honey- I like fruit a lot in the morning, but before long runs, always oatmeal.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I agree which is why I stopped racing them.  Ha!

Thanks OM!

Simon, I have no idea. HM's really feel like nothing now. I guess training for ultras has that effect. They kind of feel like 5k's used to. I feel like I'm running really hard and fast and then it's over before I know it. Once I cross the line and eat and drink something I'm good to go again.

I did 4.25 and weights tonight.  Finished with 60 for the week.  I might have moved or broken a rib with all my coughing.  I've been hurting for a week.  Chiro think it's moved so we're trying to move it back.  Bah.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

If a half marathon feels like nothing, maybe you're not racing them hard enough.  I'm pretty wrecked after a hard half and I don't think it's because I'm not running high enough mileage.

I have 11 with 6x1 mile strength tonight.  F'ing Hansons don't really cut back my mileage at all til Sunday.  I don't get why they call it a 10 day taper?

Ball of Fury

One:  Good luck tonight!  I read the book again, and he said it was a 10 day taper because your last "hard" run is 10 days before race day.  It really isn't much of a traditional taper at all!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Abs, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Broke out the spring wardrobe for work this morning...which means no coat of any kind...that's a big deal for this hothouse flower!  Pollen is rampant though.  There's a yellow dusting covering everything.  SOOO glad I don't have allergies.

Oatmeal related:  LOVE IT!  I eat it every single morning with some raisins and a Tbsp of natural peanut butter.  Yum!

Docket:  Thought about you this morning when I saw how "polleny" it was.  You wouldn't be able to go outside right now.

onemile:  I'm really interested in how Hansons works for you this cycle...especially the shortened taper part.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

onemile

Yeah I was re-reading that part of the book about the taper.  The last hard workout is the 10 at MP, 10 days out. But then the mileage follows the usual pattern up until Sunday where the LR is slashed. The last week is cut pretty dramatically though.  I am thinking instead of doing my usual 16 with 10 at MP, to do the shorter wu/cd this week to make it more of a 13-14 mile total.

Happy to be the guinea pig here.  Big grin  Hahaha.

Rollcast, I'm in for 14 years this year and I'm still wondering how are we still together, ha!

You're still together because your DH doesn't mind your traveling all over the world running marathons.  :-)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 and weights tonight.

onemile, good luck with that workout.

mdawg, haha.  Our pollen is classified as extremely dangerous right now.  Bah.

RVD, I don't think that's it, but he does not mind because he comes along!

Damaris

Fundraising Page