Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Yeah I was re-reading that part of the book about the taper.  The last hard workout is the 10 at MP, 10 days out. But then the mileage follows the usual pattern up until Sunday where the LR is slashed. The last week is cut pretty dramatically though.  I am thinking instead of doing my usual 16 with 10 at MP, to do the shorter wu/cd this week to make it more of a 13-14 mile total.

I thought the Hansons plan was insane when they had 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd three days before my last marathon.  Really?? Intervals??

onemile

Eek. Did you do it? And how did your legs feel on race day?

I thought the Hansons plan was insane when they had 2wu+8(400@5kw400r)+2cd three days before my last marathon.  Really?? Intervals??

Eek. Did you do it? And how did your legs feel on race day?

Actually I did.  Plus I did the mile warmup before the marathon.  (My DD thought I was nuts when I did.)  My legs were actually fine.  I won't do it for my May 11 marathon, but that's just because of the logistics caused by travel and a Saturday marathon.

onemile

Cool. I guess I'm trying to just trust the plan. I have followed it so far so I figure why start doubting it now.  (ok I am very seriously doubting it! but trying hard to stick to the plan)

Actually I did.  Plus I did the mile warmup before the marathon.  (My DD thought I was nuts when I did.)  My legs were actually fine.  I won't do it for my May 11 marathon, but that's just because of the logistics caused by travel and a Saturday marathon.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 4ish miles today. It's warm, but we're supposed to get rain. I think my allergies are acting up. And I'm feeling drained in general due to work (it's about that time in the semester). So, I'm not really sure what i'm gonna do for my race on Sunday. Definitely not feeling as strong as I did during Week 12 of training. I guess I'll just go out there and see what pace feels doable, and hopefully it's somewhere between 7:50-8:00.

Onemile, they also say in the book that you can adjust the taper if you need a bit more. So, I'd feel free to cut back on some of the volume if you need it. How are you feeling right now? From your posts, you sound strong. And +1 to your comment about Half-Marathons. After a HM, I'm wrecked.

Flinders, I think I'll get to the start line healthy, but with how badly things went starting Week 13, I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I cannot eat oatmeal because I would have to stop 20 times to use the restroom.  Too much fiber in it.

Mine has like 1g!!! BUT I have eaten fiber one and then run 10 miles and done a speed workout.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

cmb4314

Roll and Indi - Congrats on the PRs!

Lots of high mileage around here - everyone stay healthy!

Onemile - yay for taper!  I think you are going to kill the marathon Smile

Currently walking, very slowly, with crutches.  In another week or so, will be walking without crutches I think (though I have no idea how I'm ever going to balance on this wobbly boot).  Then another week to be without my boot.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Docket_Rocket

Somebody here (hint: not Cbus) registered for a 5K this Saturday.  Must be the end of the world.

Don't expect a PR when it's 86F and humid.  I just want to see where I am (adjusted for weather) and what would I need to do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I eat regular oatmeal, not even with added fiber.  Must be something in my body and oatmeal.

Mine has like 1g!!! BUT I have eaten fiber one and then run 10 miles and done a speed workout.

cmb, progress!  Keep it up!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

Cbus - I think you'll know within the first mile of your HM what pace to run. At least that's how it usually works for me.  If I'm feeling halfway decent but going a little faster than expected, I just go with it.  So get out there and see how you feel. You might surprise yourself.   I actually feel pretty decent. Tired, but not over-trained.  I'm just sort of looking forward to taking a little break. I've had a string of 60 mile weeks (and then my HM race) and ready to back off a little.

Sprinkles - hahaha I'm the same way. I can eat pretty much anything - I mean I don't eat a big meal before speedwork but other than that I'm fine.

cmb - Thanks! Walking without crutches will be nice.  What a long slow recovery.  It's one thing to not be able to run, but to not be able to walk either sounds awful.

Damaris - enjoy the 5k. I'm going to have to subject myself to one before starting my next training cycle!

Rusk Runner

Banshee - You are an animal! Keep up the good work. I have been looking at B2Bs for ultra training, but I havent crossed that bridge yet.

Sprinkles - 20 mile training runs are the best. I also eat oatmeal prior to long runs, but I add a teaspoon of maple syrup, craisons, almonds, and walnuts. Actually, I eat that about 4 to 5 breakfast meals a week.

Onemile - Keep on keepin' on. Youre doing fantastic.

cmb - thanks, and glad to hear you will be getting your foot back.

docket - enjoy the 5K, weather be damned.

I am debating paying a visit to the doc to have my left calf/soleus looked at. I am taking this week off from running and will then be doing a few easy weeks to build back up to 45 to 55 mpw base mileage. I will decide on the doctor visit by Wednesday. I really think I just need some graston work or something but my insurance doesnt cover that sort of thing and an out of pocket treatment could get pricey.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Onemile, that's was basically my thought. Hopefully, the 12 weeks of great training has not been completely swallowed up by the 6 weeks of cluster-f training.

Cbus - I think you'll know within the first mile of your HM what pace to run. At least that's how it usually works for me.  If I'm feeling halfway decent but going a little faster than expected, I just go with it.  So get out there and see how you feel. You might surprise yourself.   I actually feel pretty decent. Tired, but not over-trained.  I'm just sort of looking forward to taking a little break. I've had a string of 60 mile weeks (and then my HM race) and ready to back off a little.

Sprinkles - hahaha I'm the same way. I can eat pretty much anything - I mean I don't eat a big meal before speedwork but other than that I'm fine.

cmb - Thanks! Walking without crutches will be nice.  What a long slow recovery.  It's one thing to not be able to run, but to not be able to walk either sounds awful.

Damaris - enjoy the 5k. I'm going to have to subject myself to one before starting my next training cycle!

Smashy!!!

Indi, I'd hold off any decision about a doctor visit until you've fully recovered from the marathon. Who knows what's a product of the race and what is chronic, at this point? If you do end up paying for Graston, the bright side is that it is very effective, and will yield results in as short a time as 3 treatments. At that point, you could probably maintain with foam rolling.

Banshee - You are an animal! Keep up the good work. I have been looking at B2Bs for ultra training, but I havent crossed that bridge yet.

Sprinkles - 20 mile training runs are the best. I also eat oatmeal prior to long runs, but I add a teaspoon of maple syrup, craisons, almonds, and walnuts. Actually, I eat that about 4 to 5 breakfast meals a week.

Onemile - Keep on keepin' on. Youre doing fantastic.

cmb - thanks, and glad to hear you will be getting your foot back.

docket - enjoy the 5K, weather be damned.

I am debating paying a visit to the doc to have my left calf/soleus looked at. I am taking this week off from running and will then be doing a few easy weeks to build back up to 45 to 55 mpw base mileage. I will decide on the doctor visit by Wednesday. I really think I just need some graston work or something but my insurance doesnt cover that sort of thing and an out of pocket treatment could get pricey.

Docket_Rocket

I agree with Cbus (unless the pain is so bad you think you cannot wait).  I've done races (especially hard trail races) that have left me in so much pain I thought I had an SFx from it but it turned out to be bad soreness.  So, give it another week before you decide.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

onemile

You could also try asking around for pricing. I know someone who found a private chiro who does graston and ART for $35 per appointment (not through insurance). That is not much more than my co-pay.