Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

Docket_Rocket

mdawg, Zoe has been very busy at work (from what I recall).  Not sure if she is over her illness because I don't recall her mentioning it anymore (so, I guess yes).

AmiK, I feel the same way.  I am still coughing!  Three weeks!

Cbus, worth it?  Come here so I can whip you! Joking

onemile, you rest?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Snowing AGAIN here!

Temperature slightly below freezing with winds making it feel colder, I have really had enough of winter weather.

That must be a great feeling, Onemile, a form of recognition for your hard work.

It will never happen to me because I drink too much coffee.

Good runs to everyone!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

akalei

Good morning, everyone!  Got in 5 yesterday, wind and all, mostly just cut the extra mile out because it was getting late and I was thinking I had to make dinner.  Chipotle made dinner for us instead, which meant happy Ashley Smile

Jedi & Sprinkles: I thought we were talking plain ol' Philly (in November).  However, I have done RNR Philly the last two years in a row and it's a great time.  Absolutely packed, but Sprink, we'll be doing it at a training pace anyway, right?  (That's what RNR was supposed to be for me last year, too, and I PR'ed it--oops).  Course is super flat except a slight uphill at the very end--we're talking hte last .1.  Going into last year, I remembered it being an awful smack in the face, and then when we actually got to that point last year, it wasn't so bad.  It's a nice scenic run along the river for the most part, too.  I like the RNR events, too--yeah, they're packed and commercialized, but a benefit of that was that I came home from the expo with enough larabars and Cascadian Farm granola to last me a month. Joking  Anyway, we'll probably do that again this year, but I was also thinking of doing the Philly half in November, too.  I sould check that course out--I want to say it might avoid Manayunk, right?

Cbus: I agree on the 5K.  Jerk.

Indi: That dinner sounds delish.  Share on the recipe board?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Ami- I am still coughing too. I am delaying my 8 miles to this evening since my head is practically exploding this morning.

Akalei- the Philly half avoids manayunk. It ends after one nasty hill at mile 9 and the marathoners go on. I thought manayunk was easier than the mile 9 hill. I was thinking of RNR as a PR attempt- it's still 3 weeks out.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

You folks might laugh at this but, I am a big fan of oriental foods in general. Thai food is a particular favorite and I love all things curry. Any restaraunts of decent quality are at least an hour away from my residence. I was suprised when I tried this but it was actually good and I eat it all the time.

I cube and sautee an eggplant in olive oil with some thinly sliced carrots. Add chopped bonless chicken (I should use breast but I trim the fat and use thighs) with a healthy dose of red pepper flakes and brown it well. Then, and this is the kicker, add an package of Campbells Thai Green Curry Skillet Sauce, stir, cover, cook for 5 or so minutes. Pour it on some good Jasmine rice and start carb loading.

I was honestly suprised at how good that darn packaged skillet sauce was! I bought like six packages of the stuff in case this redneck, podunk town decides to stop carrying the stuff.

Somebody else try this and tell me if I am just tripping out since I dont have easy access to this kind of food any longer!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

cmb4314

Akalei- the Philly half avoids manayunk. It ends after one nasty hill at mile 9 and the marathoners go on. I thought manayunk was easier than the mile 9 hill. I was thinking of RNR as a PR attempt- it's still 3 weeks out.

Philly was my first HM back in 2009 - I remember the terrain being overall kind of rolling, but only that one hill at mile 9 really stands out as being especially steep.  Once you climb it though, you get to immediately charge down the other side of it Smile  It was a good race, and if you're used to hills nothing is too bad.  At the time I was living in State College so lots of hill climbing on my normal runs was inevitable.

I actually was thinking the last few days that I missed running in a hillier part of the country.  Where we are in Minnesota isn't crazy flat, but compared to PA, it's a pancake.   I spent the last two days in Pittsburgh for a funeral, and all I could think driving around there was that it is nigh unto impossible to be a runner in the area I was in.  We were where my dad grew up, in the hills on the south side of the city, and a lot of the streets are so steep that it feels like you're not going to be able to get your car to the top, much less run up them.  There just is no flat ground - it's all either up or down, and mostly very dramatically so.

On an unrelated note, I'm officially walking with aircast/crutches (~25% of my weight on the foot) and doing ankle stretches and exercises.  It's coming along, slowly.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

cmb4314

You folks might laugh at this but, I am a big fan of oriental foods in general. Thai food is a particular favorite and I love all things curry. Any restaraunts of decent quality are at least an hour away from my residence. I was suprised when I tried this but it was actually good and I eat it all the time.

I cube and sautee an eggplant in olive oil with some thinly sliced carrots. Add chopped bonless chicken (I should use breast but I trim the fat and use thighs) with a healthy dose of red pepper flakes and brown it well. Then, and this is the kicker, add an package of Campbells Thai Green Curry Skillet Sauce, stir, cover, cook for 5 or so minutes. Pour it on some good Jasmine rice and start carb loading.

I was honestly suprised at how good that darn packaged skillet sauce was! I bought like six packages of the stuff in case this redneck, podunk town decides to stop carrying the stuff.

Somebody else try this and tell me if I am just tripping out since I dont have easy access to this kind of food any longer!

We make a lot of curry as well - pretty much once a week - and we follow a recipe that is basically like this (we follow the same recipe if we buy the green):

http://www.thaikitchen.com/Recipes/Chicken-Beef-and-Pork/Thai-Red-Curry.aspx

Only difference is, we use WAY more curry paste than they call for - if you make it according to those instructions, it's pretty flavorless.  We changed the volume of curry paste based on a recipe we saw in a magazine, and now instead of using 1 tablespoon, we use half of one of those 4 ounce Thai Kitchen jars.  It doesn't make it too spicy to do this, it just makes it really nice and flavorful.

We buy whatever vegetables we think look good, and then usually use chicken, shrimp, or tofu for the protein.  If we're feeling like making it spicier, we'll also add a chopped up jalapeno.  If there is something that we want to brown a bit, it will get sauteed separately and added to the mixture at the very end of cooking (this is how we do our tofu).  It's really, really easy and quick and delicious.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Rusk Runner

Thanx cmb!  I just happen to have a jar of red, a jar of green, and a can of coconut milk in the pantry.  I will try this next week.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Its nice in Chicago today. Hopefully I will sneak in a run later. Plane trip was TERRIBLE.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

Afternoon everyone.  My favorite curry paste is Mae Ploy, Its what most restaurants use who don't make their own paste.  I add that stuff to everything 3-4 nights a week.

Plyo went really well last night and I have shoulders & Arms tonight and will think about running tomorrow.  We hit 79F yesterday afternoon and I got a bit sunburned when I was working on the yard, then wake up to snow this morning.

Play the Game Hard!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

With respect to the philadelphia full marathon- I wrote my recap here as well.  Blog link.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks.  I'll try to replicate it (sans chicken).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I was able to get 8 treadmill miles in, nice and slow.  Phew.  Maybe the marathon isn't totally screwed.

mdawg87

Good morning!  7 more TM miles and stretching at the gym.  Ran next to another gym regular who's asthma has flared up and he could barely get through a mile before stopping.  Ugh...glad I don't have to deal with breathing problems.  Cool and rainy today as the warm front makes its way through.  I'm hearing we're hitting 80 next week.  Can't wait!

Sprinkles:  Better to get to the start line healthy even if undertrained.  Hope it's all downhill for you from here.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Morning all,

I've got 4ish miles on tap today. With my race a little over a week away, I'm just trying to get the motor going without over-taxing myself.

Sprink, +1 to Mdawg's comment. Focus on toeing the line.

Hope everyone has a great day!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)