Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Good February donuts!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Rusk Runner

And here we go into another month of training.

Banshee - You sound suprised that all that training is paying off.  Congrats on the mileage and the speed breakthroughs!

Docket - You got in the last word for JanuarySmile.

Half day at work today and I was selected to work on Sat and Sun also.  I agreed with working as long as my boss understood my running schedule.  6 on tap for Sat, 16 w/ 12 @ GMP on Sun.  He says no problem.  I might slip in a few miles after work today at a very generous pace.

I may have to retire one pair of flows a few miles earlier than expected.  I have some minor tenderness on the inside of my shins that is unusual.  I iced them last night and will experiment with the shoes.

15 deg is lovely weather for a runEvil.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning, all.

Quick drive-by to say hi.  Yesterday was a busy day, too, or at least I didn't have a lot of computer time.  I did get in a decent, if fractured, workout:  3.5 @ 8:18 at lunch.  3.5 @ 9:03 on the treadmill at the gym in the evening, and 2000 yds in the pool in 42:06 after work.

I'm crossing my fingers that next week will be more civilized, or at least that I'll be able to force myself out of bed in the morning to run.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! 2013 just flying by here as we enter February. SRD for me today considering I have not taken a RD in about 2 weeks. I got some strength/core in this morning and maybe a lite spin later. Bought a Hanson 5k plan yesterday. Plan to do that after my HM in Frederick as I'll have 12 weeks to play with before hitting Hanson Advanced for Philly end of July.

onemile - never chimed in regarding MP. For me sometimes it's hard and other times it's easy. Also depends what mileage was that week etc. Race day after a good taper is totally different though. I'd stick with it. What week are you in?

indi - Docket always gets in last word.Smile Nice mileage on tap for the weekend.

Flinders - nice double!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

I'm on week 7.   So far I've done 12 with 6 at MP three times and 13 with 7 at MP twice.  It felt easy last night but that was at the indoor track.  One of them felt really hard, like HMP and the others felt kind of like a moderate effort - breathing harder than easy for sure but I never doubted that I could complete them and finished feeling like I could run a few more at that pace but not 26.2

onemile - never chimed in regarding MP. For me sometimes it's hard and other times it's easy. Also depends what mileage was that week etc. Race day after a good taper is totally different though. I'd stick with it. What week are you in? 

nachosgrande

5:30am here in Ca.  Done with my weight and core workout.  No running on tap for today.  5 at MP on Sat. and 10 easy on Sun.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning with more miles tonight.

And I had two donuts for breakfast, woot!  I have not had donuts in ages!

onemile, not sure if you read my comment late last night.  If the MP feels that hard now then it's time to reassess a bit.  Maybe try 8:40mm and see, if not keep tinkering with it until it feels right.  You are good at listening to your body.

indi, yay! Enjoy your half day at work and your runs this weekend.

Flinders, nice workouts, even if fractured.

jedi, enjoy the well earned SRD.

nachos, nice weights and core workouts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Trail Monster

Indy - I am surprised. I've never been this consistent before and I had no idea how long it would take to see results or what those results would be like. Hope the shin pain was nothing major!

Flinders - way to get it in anyway!

Jedi - enjoy the rest day!

onemile - have some faith. I said I couldn't run my McMillan paces and now I am!

Nachos - good work! Enjoy the day off from running!

I've got a 75 minute easy run on tap. It's supposed to be outside but it's a high of 20* and snowing today so I may wimp out.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Thanks for starting us off, Cbus!

I am pleased to note that my weight has been down 2lbs for the last few days. While I suspect my bathroom scales read low by about 4lbs I think the amount of error is pretty consistent, so although the absolute number may not be correct at least the change is real. I always ignore daily fluctuations but if I get the same reading for 3-4 days I figure its a real change. Encouraging because this always means I am getting in shape.

Good month, Banshee!

Cold weather is ok as long as there is no wind, but I would not want to do 16 miles in 15 degree weather Indi, you  belong to the "more miles than degrees" club with that run!

With all that swimming I have to ask if you are a triathlete, Flinders?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Good morning Donuts,

I've got 6 easy on tap after work today. It's gonna be cold, so I might break out the mask.

Last night, I tried out Coffee Caramel Buzz flavored ice cream from Ben and Jerry's, and it is AWESOME. It's coffee ice cream with whiskey laced caramel swirl. But it's Milk n' Cookies for tonight's "date night in" w/ DW.

Happy running all!

akalei

Morning, everyone.  I've been MIA for like a week and a half... man have I missed it.  I've checked in every now and then but it was in passing and I had nothing particularly good to contribute to the conversations, so I kept quiet.  Most of my internets time has been spent looking for my next job.  Le sigh.

Weather has derailed my running for a large part. I'm so glad I'm only doing the Dolphin Challenge at Shamrock, and I could walk the 8K for all I care.  Amazing how a half becomes "easy" to do, isn't it?  I want to work on a good finish time, but it's not the end of the world if I don't get the 1:42 I was hoping for.  I've done several 12 mile runs recently, one at about 8:45 average, and DH and I are doing a 14 on Sunday, so I feel generally prepared.  I supposed I should just integrate some tempo runs and speedwork in from here on out.  But this weather... man.  I never did invest in a balaclava, but I did find a UA turtleneck that's made to pul up over your face, and I love it.  It worked well in 25 MPH+ winds yesterday!

Docket: I'd like a donut now, thanks for that.

Cbus: great minds think alike, sort of.  Trying out my ice cream maker this evening for the first time, and DH got some organic oreo's to throw in. We'll see how this goes! Smile

I may have missed this, but is anyone racing this weekend?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Rusk Runner

Onemile - I think I am better understanding your question/concerns now.  When I talk about being tired during MRT, for me, it is leg weary.  I will admit that if I found myself huffing and puffing at MRT it would likely concern me a bit unless I was chugging up a hill (a normal event for me).  If I were to look at my log I would tell you that I trained 5 to 10 seconds faster than what my planned GMP was for my last race.  And on race day I ran faster than my panned GMP ( I ran the speed that I trained).

I wonder if maybe you should or might experiment with an HRM.  Either way you go, you are good at trusting your instinct and listening to your body.  Let us know what you decide.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

What up donuts!!!!!

Indi - hope that goes away SOON>

Flinders - persistance!

jedi - I am curious to hear what you think about the Hanson 5 K plan

Onemile - do you feel as if you have progressed noticably?

Nacho - you and Indi competing for earliest work out? Joking

Banshee - it is exciting to watch your progress!!!

Simon - nice!

Cbus - youre kllin' me bro.

akalei - you've got this in the bag

Frustration is starting to set in as i grow bored with running these short 4 4.5 mile runs due to the left foot still falling asleep at mile 3.5 (like clock work). Oh well, 4 miles last night. The first 1.75 were with my three youngsters following me on their bikes, the balance was at an 8:40 pace. Some speed work tonight.

Thought of the day: You can, will, or did. You can be 1 out of 3, 2 out of 3, or 3 out of 3. Your sense of accomplishmnet is your choice.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

cmb4314

Morning!

Just went to the PT - he played with it a bunch and gave me some stretches/other exercises to do.  No Graston - perhaps I should have pushed harder on the treatment end of things, but he seems to think that since I can still run on it to go ahead, and just manage symptoms with ice/foam rolling/etc.  He also thinks that the 3ish weeks I have until the race actually gives me some time to develop a little bit of strength in my weaker areas.  I have another appointment in 1.5 weeks, and if I'm getting worse, then they'll be more aggressive.

Maybe not the result I wanted, but I'm okay with it.  I have actually felt much better since taking the URD on Wednesday - there is still soreness, but the inflammation has gone down a LOT and I was feeling good about running on it tonight anyway.  The PT playing around with it seemed to make it feel looser too, which feels nice.

11 easy is the plan tonight.  Treadmill, since the sun is fully out now and it's still -5F outside.  Do I get to join the "more miles than degrees" club for jogging from my car to the door of my work building today? Big grin

Banshee -  Nice tempo run!  Glad that the consistent training is paying off.

Indi - Enjoy the half day!  Glad that you boss is okay with your weekend running schedule.

Flinders - Nice job on the disjointed workouts!  I'd probably have lacked the motivation to work out for a second time :P

Jedi - Enjoy the rest day!

Onemile - Hope you figure out the MP thing - it's really tough to decide on a pace and trust it.

Nachos - Nice job on getting the workout done early

Docket - Nice job on the early miles.  Also, I am jealous of your donuts :P

Simon - Congrats on the weight loss.  It's always nice to see the scale reflecting hard work.

Akalei - Welcome back to the discussion, and good luck on your job search.  I feel your pain - I have been either unemployed or underemployed for three years now, so I have done LOTS of job searching.

Cbus - The Milk and Cookies sounds pretty tasty, but I'm not much of a coffee girl.  I have not had ice cream in quite some time.  I may have to go out to my favorite ice cream place to change that.

Hope everyone has a good day!

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Smashy!!!

Onemile, this is my opinion, and it's only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. But remember that conversation we had a while ago about how to use race conversion in the Hansons' plan--how we use them going into the plan, rather than out of the plan. Well, if I take 1:46, and plug it into McMillan, and then add 12 min., I get a predicted time of 3:55. Based on what we talked about, that's the goal I would use going into the Hansons plan, which would put all the Tempo runs at 8:58ish (I think in the Hansons table, it's a touch faster). That's a good :20 slower than where you are at now. So, if you are asking me, then I'd vote for slowing down your paces, and aiming for a 3:55ish goal. Chances are by the time of your race, you will be much stronger than 3:55, which means you will have a stronger last 16 mi, and may leave time on the field (but based on my understanding of the Hansons approach, that is exactly how they want you to run your race). My question is: why quibble over :20, and risk reaching a very respectable yet achievable goal? Especially if you are going to continue marathoning. Why not just bag the 3:55 this time, and then shoot for 3:45 next time? Is there any reason it has to be this time? But then again I'm much more conservative than other donuts.