Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Josh:  Sounds like a rough run!  Get some new tights!!  I rarely have any pain when running on the TM...maybe because it's a softer surface?  I have been doing intervals at 0% incline, but probably should at least do 1-2%.  As far as P90X, we have put legs and back on the schedule for Fridays, but truthfully, I am not sure if we will do it.  I remember how rough it is on the legs!  The problem is, I feel like I need to strengthen my legs and maybe some of my ITB trouble will go away, but not sure how to do that without damaging my running, ya know?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

nachosgrande

Cbus - Is it just me, or are you getting faster?  Smile

AP4 - Awesome race!  Congrats on crushing sub-4 by a mile (or two).

Great job to everyone on their long runs this weekend (for those who were able to get them in).

Ran 3.25 recovery miles at 9:50/mi this morning.  6 miles, weights and core for tomorrow.

Went to RoadRunner on my lunch hour and picked up two new pairs of shoes: Kinvara 3 and PureCadence.  My plan is to use the Kinvara as my medium-long run shoe with the PureCadence serving as my long-run shoes since they have a bit of stability.  Almost picked up a pair of the PureFlow 2s too (I think the new upper is a huge improvement over the original model, also the sole felt a little less mushy), but I convinced myself to wait for a sale.  I had a bunch of VIP discounts so I was able to save $70 between the two shoes.  Big grin

White Lightning

Josh:  Sounds like a rough run!  Get some new tights!!  I rarely have any pain when running on the TM...maybe because it's a softer surface?  I have been doing intervals at 0% incline, but probably should at least do 1-2%.  As far as P90X, we have put legs and back on the schedule for Fridays, but truthfully, I am not sure if we will do it.  I remember how rough it is on the legs!  The problem is, I feel like I need to strengthen my legs and maybe some of my ITB trouble will go away, but not sure how to do that without damaging my running, ya know?

I have mine on Friday's too, before my Saturday recovery run most weeks.  Do it but just go 50% intensity.  Don't try to be a hero like I did with the one legged wall squats last week, they did me in, think I had a tear rolling down my cheek.  I'm convinced that plyo and the leg workouts are what's improving my running

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Thanks!  We do have easy runs on Friday and Saturday so maybe it will be ok.  I will go easy on the weights and reps.  Those one-legged wall squats are a killer!!

I have mine on Friday's too, before my Saturday recovery run most weeks.  Do it but just go 50% intensity.  Don't try to be a hero like I did with the one legged wall squats last week, they did me in, think I had a tear rolling down my cheek.  I'm convinced that plyo and the leg workouts are what's improving my running

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Trail Monster

6 at 11:10 average pace. It was supposed to be steady state but there was 2"+ of fresh powder on the trail that slowed me down. Oh well.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Banshee its the effort, not the pace, that counts!

Josh, use both legs, much easier, one leg sounds tough!

10.4kms easy pace.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

onemile

I actually thought the first couple weeks were the hardest (once the speedwork starts). I mean it's still a tough plan but the first few weeks were a little rough until I got used to it.

I am super excited about rest day tomorrow...and it's only my first week!  Of course, we have an upper body workout on the schedule but I may skip it...depending on how sore I still am in the morning.

Smashy!!!

Hansons question. Okay, so you can do the Speed at 5k or 10k pace. Does anyone know when you're supposed to use the 10k pace? Is it just preference? Or are you supposed to use the 10k pace on the longer intervals? I looked in the book, and they don't say anything about it.

Nachos, am I getting faster? I dunno. This is the first real structured plan, with speed work, that I've done. I've never raced anything shorter than a half, so I'm not sure. I hope I'm getting faster! I'm shooting for 1:43 at my spring half, which would be a 3 min pr, but I'm kinda wondering if I'm capable of more. But, boy, you're on a shoe binge lately!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

I'll check the book again but I thought they said something like since we know people tend to run faster than prescribed, we ask you to do these between 5k to 10k pace.  So I assume they want you to do it closer to 5k pace.  I'm doing all of mine at 5k pace anyway and I only have TWO LEFT!!!!

And you are definitely running the speedwork faster than me! I couldn't hit the paces you do.

Hansons question. Okay, so you can do the Speed at 5k or 10k pace. Does anyone know when you're supposed to use the 10k pace? Is it just preference? Or are you supposed to use the 10k pace on the longer intervals? I looked in the book, and they don't say anything about it.

Nachos, am I getting faster? I dunno. This is the first real structured plan, with speed work, that I've done. I've never raced anything shorter than a half, so I'm not sure. I hope I'm getting faster! I'm shooting for 1:43 at my spring half, which would be a 3 min pr, but I'm kinda wondering if I'm capable of more. But, boy, you're on a shoe binge lately!

Smashy!!!

I'll check the book again but I thought they said something like since we know people tend to run faster than prescribed, we ask you to do these between 5k to 10k pace.  So I assume they want you to do it closer to 5k pace.  I'm doing all of mine at 5k pace anyway and I only have TWO LEFT!!!!

Yeah, I read that too. But that makes me think one is free to run at any pace within that range. But that seems to contradict the prescription to run them at 5k pace. That's why I'm confused. But somewhere between the 4th and 5th repeat, when i was thinking about next week's 1200s, I started thinking to myself, "Can't I run these at 10k pace?!"

onemile

Yes but you have to ask yourself, what would Onemile Chuck Norris do?

Also if you look at the pace charts for each workout, I think it lists 5k pace.

Yeah, I read that too. But that makes me think one is free to run at any pace within that range. But that seems to contradict the prescription to run them at 5k pace. That's why I'm confused. But somewhere between the 4th and 5th repeat, when i was thinking about next week's 1200s, I started thinking to myself, "Can't I run these at 10k pace?!"

Smashy!!!

Yes but you have to ask yourself, what would Onemile Chuck Norris do?

Also if you look at the pace charts for each workout, I think it lists 5k pace.

you're right. So I wonder why they give that 10k range in the first place. I guess, like you say, to emphasize not to run them too fast.

Chuck Norris never ran a marathon, remember? So I doubt he's ever trained for one either.

Oh, yeah, I only have 1 Speed workout left!  Cool And it's kinda cruel how they throw in the 800s just to make you think it's getting easier then come right back with 1600s--what a punch in the gut!

ap4

Interesting. I haven't discussed a plan for taper with my coach. I don't even know if we're going to do 2 weeks or 3 weeks or somewhere in the middle. I think I'll just go with the flow instead of worrying about it though. So far she hasn't led me astray and doing things the way I want to hasn't yielded such great results in the past. I know I'm going to doubt it all anyway during taper though. Is there anything that you think would have made you feel fresher? What was your carb loading schedule like in the 72 hours before the race?

By Pfitz's book, it said basically to run your distances the first part of the week, and eat your regular amount.  For the last three days, you run less but try to increase carbs by 50%.  I basically ate brown rice, whole wheat pasta and pb&j's any time I was vaguely hungry.  I think a lot of the fatigue was psychological since the schedule was basically a 20% jump in mileage from HH Int 2.  The mid week long runs after the speedwork were really hard for me.  In retrospect, wouldn't have done it any different though.

Sprinkles-

Mile       Split          HR(avg and max)

Interval 1 mi 8:55.04 169 182   EditDelete
                            Interval 2 mi 8:45.2 169 177   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 3 mi 8:41.33 169 176   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 4 mi 8:49.47 170 178   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 5 mi 8:33.73 163 172   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 6 mi 8:37.1 168 179   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 7 mi 8:35.86 166 174   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 8 mi 8:35.57 165 172   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 9 mi 8:45.63 167 177   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 10 mi 8:43.02 158 164   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 11 mi 9:03.92 160 167   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 12 mi 9:00.91 166 171   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 13 mi 8:35.94 167 171   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 14 mi 8:30.78 169 172   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 15 mi 8:30.12 170 177   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 16 mi 8:25.68 171 175   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 17 mi 8:29.04 171 174   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 18 mi 8:29.56 174 176   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 19 mi 8:29.92 174 177   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 20 mi 8:26.28 174 178   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 21 mi 8:25.35 176 179   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 22 mi 8:24.09 178 180   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 23 mi 8:31.82 178 181   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 24 mi 8:47.56 178 181   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 25 mi 8:36.99 180 182   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 26 mi 7:57.85 184 190   EditDeleteMove up
                            Interval 0.35 mi 2:41.84 190 192   EditDeleteMove up
                            Docket_Rocket

Interesting discussion about the Hanson workouts.  I'm going to have all my questions answered before I even start the plan!  Thanks!

I did 10 miles tonight.  I couldn't breathe well during the first 4 but after that it got better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I agree with your food suggestions.  I also eat apples (one a day) the week of the marathon.  It's a good source of energy and carbs for me.  I did this by accident before the Berlin marathon and it worked so well I've done it before every single one since.

By Pfitz's book, it said basically to run your distances the first part of the week, and eat your regular amount.  For the last three days, you run less but try to increase carbs by 50%.  I basically ate brown rice, whole wheat pasta and pb&j's any time I was vaguely hungry.  I think a lot of the fatigue was psychological since the schedule was basically a 20% jump in mileage from HH Int 2.  The mid week long runs after the speedwork were really hard for me.  In retrospect, wouldn't have done it any different though.

Sprinkles-

Mile       Split          HR(avg and max)

Interval 1 mi 8:55.04 169 182   EditDelete
                                Interval 2 mi 8:45.2 169 177   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 3 mi 8:41.33 169 176   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 4 mi 8:49.47 170 178   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 5 mi 8:33.73 163 172   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 6 mi 8:37.1 168 179   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 7 mi 8:35.86 166 174   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 8 mi 8:35.57 165 172   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 9 mi 8:45.63 167 177   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 10 mi 8:43.02 158 164   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 11 mi 9:03.92 160 167   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 12 mi 9:00.91 166 171   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 13 mi 8:35.94 167 171   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 14 mi 8:30.78 169 172   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 15 mi 8:30.12 170 177   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 16 mi 8:25.68 171 175   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 17 mi 8:29.04 171 174   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 18 mi 8:29.56 174 176   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 19 mi 8:29.92 174 177   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 20 mi 8:26.28 174 178   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 21 mi 8:25.35 176 179   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 22 mi 8:24.09 178 180   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 23 mi 8:31.82 178 181   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 24 mi 8:47.56 178 181   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 25 mi 8:36.99 180 182   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 26 mi 7:57.85 184 190   EditDeleteMove up
                                Interval 0.35 mi 2:41.84 190 192   EditDeleteMove up

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page