Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Docket_Rocket

Good news.

I think I'm just about back to normal.  I seem to be sore everywhere, but then I'm not used to having 6 days off.  I resumed the Hanson plan and picked it up as though I had not had that 6 day lapse.  This mornings 2wu+2(3m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd (12 miles) went ok.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got a Speed workout on tap today. To use Ami's words, "I'm ready for it to be over." (Sheesh, I must sound like a big baby.)

Ami, why run the recoveries faster? Don't you just set your recoveries for distance rather than time? If I ran my recoveries faster, I don't think I'd be able to put in the kind of effort during the interval that I need. Those Strength workouts are like 8 miles, just counting the intervals--if you can do that on a track, then there's a special place in heaven waiting for you.

Indi, my only point about the Hansons thing is that, once you understand the principle, you can adjust the plans yourself--thereby saving a few dollars (as you can probably tell by now, I'm all about saving a few dollars). But if the plans you can get from LH have other workouts that do not appear in the book, like RV said, then it might be worth the dollars.

Re: Mizuno Breath Thermo baselayer. So I got it on sale at RW.com. It's the one that looks like a Tron costume. Though I won't be sporting that shirt for fashion, I just wanted to say that this is an awesome baselayer. Very light, very effective wicking-wise, and warm enough. If anyone gets a chance to pick one up on markdown, I highly recommend. It runs VERY small, so I recommend going up a full size (I'm normally medium, and I went with the large).

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning donuts!  Speaking of donuts...there are four boxes in my department this morning...which prompted me to check in with y'all.  And no...I didn't have one.  It's been hella busy at work and I've had no time to check in including last weekend.  I haven't run since tweaking/pulling/popping/whatever the heck I did to my calf last Tuesday.  I've been doing all my other workouts (crosstraining, abs, weights, etc.) with no issues.  I didn't want to attempt any running until I get my new shoes.  Went to the LRS on Saturday and ended up choosing the Mizuno Wave Rider 16s.  Of course, I wanted the brightly colored blue with pink accents and black laces which they had to order.  So hopefully they will be here at the end of the week or early next week.  I'm not going to do any running until they're here unless my sports doc (who I see Thursday) tells me to.  I figure the rest can't hurt, plus I'm a little mentally burned out on trying to come back from this injury.

cbus:  Good neutral shoe choice, you think?

bago:  Be careful with the lower heel drop.  The pain you felt sounds eerily like how I injured both my left calf in late August and my right one in December.  I too transitioned from the Guide 4s to the Guide 5s and 6s.  One of the reasons I chose the Mizuno Wave Riders was for the standard 11 - 12 mm heel drop.  I think the lower 8 mm isn't good for me since I struggle with calf issues.

cmb:  Thinking about you and wishing you fast healing vibes.  You will nail the next one.  No training cycle miles are ever wasted.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

akalei

Hey donuts! I've been out of the loop (again) for a while. I need to be better about this.

Good job everyone who did early morning runs today--I wish I had the motivation so early. Hopefully with the days getting longer, I'll be able to get out in the mornings again.

Jedi: I didn't realize Hansons really gave you the option of doing up to 20 mile runs (or whatever longer distance you prefer, from the sounds of it). Part of the reason I've stayed away was because I need the psychological boost of a few 20-milers during training. Might have to look into it now.

Docket: Hope you're feeling better.

Me: After my 14 miler on Sunday (with some packed snow to contend with), I've had some pain and tenderness in my heel that I'm not sure about... it could be residual soreness, but I'm afraid it might be mild plantar fasciitis, so I may take today off or go to spin if I can do that without irritating it. Also signed up for weight watchers again today, I gained some weight and I'm not happy about it. WW helped me lose the weight before, but that was back when I was doing 5K's rather than HMs (not crazy enough to do WW while training for a full). So I know I'll have to be sure to use some of those extra points before my Sunday runs. But I need to do something because I'm not happy with myself right now. Blah. Total down on myself day in general.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Ball of Fury

CBus:  My only thought with speeding up the recoveries was that to even get to 0.2 miles instead of a full 400 meters, it was taking almost 2 minutes.  I didn't know if that was too much time for recovery since the interval was only 2:44?  If I were on the track, though, I would have just run a full lap, so I guess it would be about the same.

MDawg:  I hope you like the Riders...I have the red ones.

Onemile:  Somehow I just now realized your goal marathon is Carmel (as in Carmel, Indiana right?).  I "think" I am volunteering at one of the aid stations!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, more than the shoe, I'm happy you went with the colorway that you did! I love those teal/pink Riders--that's the best one among either men or women's colorways, imo. If you're a fan of purple, they've got a great purple/orange colorway coming out in the spring.

Ami, I'd stick with the distance, not the time. But that's me. I checked my log again, I ran my recoveries around 10:00.

Re: shoes, now I'm thinking about the Adidas Adios... (sorry Jedi that I'm so waffley).

Ball of Fury

CBus:  Thanks!  Oh, and I ordered the New Balance you suggested yesterday!  Should be here today or tomorrow...I LOVE runningwarehouse!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

CBus:  Thanks!  Oh, and I ordered the New Balance you suggested yesterday!  Should be here today or tomorrow...I LOVE runningwarehouse!

Post a review once you get a few runs in them. I'm interested to hear what you think.

onemile

CBus:  My only thought with speeding up the recoveries was that to even get to 0.2 miles instead of a full 400 meters, it was taking almost 2 minutes.  I didn't know if that was too much time for recovery since the interval was only 2:44?  If I were on the track, though, I would have just run a full lap, so I guess it would be about the same.

Onemile:  Somehow I just now realized your goal marathon is Carmel (as in Carmel, Indiana right?).  I "think" I am volunteering at one of the aid stations!

Yes, Carmel IN!  How cool! Maybe I will see you there!

I also do my recoveries by distance and agree with Cbus. Don't speed them up.  And don't worry, the intervals will get longer.  Evil

Rusk Runner

I too wish my recovery runs were at a 8:42 pace. They are actually around 9:30 pace. When I got out the door this morning I thought I was supposed to be running a GA run. When I got home and looked at my schedule it said I was supposed to be doing a recovery run. Too late to slow down the pace when the run is done. Silly meRoll eyes .

I will read the Hansons book again after the Marathon. I look forward to going over your training schedules RV and Jedi. This time last cycle, I was really feeling fatigued. This cycle I feel comfortable for the most part. I appreciate that since it kind of tells me that my muscles/ligaments/etc... are building to accept the load, but I am going to want to work a little harder for the Fall race (BQ?)

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - no shame in the mill. I've been doing all my quality runs on the mill as of late. I'd rather have workout go the way it should then deal with wind, snow, ice. Not safe to run in pitch dark either on track. Elites train on TMs all the time for same reasons, so if good enough for them good enough for us donuts.Smile

Today was interval day 2 of the Hanson HM plan and I chickened out and went to the gym to do it on the treadmill.  I don't know why running on the track in the dark is bothering me, especially since I run in the dark all the time!  Anyway, I had my first treadmill accident this morning and let me tell you, treadmill rash hurts!  Next week, I am putting on my big girl panties and going to the track!  I was a bit worried about this workout because when I got up, my legs (especially calves) were super tight.  But, after a 1 mile warm-up, I felt great.  I had 8 x 600 M today and I did the first 4 @ 7:19 and the last 4 @ 7:13 (I think I will stick with 7:13 from now on) and although I was ready for it to be over, it was easier than I thought it would be.  Next time, I think I need to run the recoveries a bit faster because I was doing them @ 9:40 so only getting in about 0.2 miles instead of 0.25.  Overall, I did 6.6 miles and it was a good workout!  Hope you all have a great day!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

akalei - I have the 12, 18, and 20 wk plans from their site. They don't say just to do no more than 16m LRs, but want you to run them 25-30% of your weekly mileage. Daniels follows same principle. 20m for a LR Ok if you're running 80m that week. The 16wk plan has lot of 18-20 milers but you're also doing 6 weeks of mileage in 75-80 mpw range too. It's all in their philosophy of cumulative fatigue with speed/strength, tempos and running LR like last 16m of a marathon.

Jedi: I didn't realize Hansons really gave you the option of doing up to 20 mile runs (or whatever longer distance you prefer, from the sounds of it). Part of the reason I've stayed away was because I need the psychological boost of a few 20-milers during training. Might have to look into it now. 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Talking about the House, I just ordered my hat and long sleeve cooler shirt for my ultra.  It starts at 10am, WTF and I will run from 10-4ish in 90F weather and no shade.  In South Florida.  WHO TOLD ME TO REGISTER FOR THIS THING? Big grin

I am going to need some donuts after this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - just get the Ronins already!Smile lol

Just got back from my meeting and more donuts. Good thing I did intervals today.Smile Just munchkins this time.

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

Morning!

Some great running happening around here.

Onemile -  I never remembered to say congrats on a good race!

Re: interval recoveries - I have been doing them for time lately, since Pfitz has you recover for 50-90% of the interval duration.  How long I take, though, usually has something to do with distance, since I like starting my intervals at nice even distances.  And I run recovery periods SLOW.  Like, pretty much the slowest jog I can do.

Been doing not much other than chilling on the couch since Saturday, but back at work today now that I've seen an actual orthopedist and my foot is in a boot rather than a temporary splint.

Good news is that my broken bone isn't displaced at all, so it should heal okay.  Waiting on the MRI to see if anything is wrong with the ligaments - the doc thinks that my tibia and fibula look a bit too far apart, which is what it looks like in the case of a high ankle sprain.  The ligament may be just strained, but if it is torn at all they need to go in and basically screw my fibula and tibia together (*shudders*) to close up the space between them, such that the ligament heals correctly.  Have to wait tomorrow for the MRI, and then until Friday before I can get back in with the doctor, so I won't know much until Friday.

Holy crap, walking around on crutches is a workout.  Everything I do, I break a sweat.  It's ridiculous.  Also, I am going to have really buff arms when all of this is over.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)