Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Docket_Rocket

Cmb, that sounds so painful. I am sorry!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Akalei- I was in the same position recently - put on 7 lbs since my wedding.  I cut out junky carbs and am down 5.  It has hurt my paces on training runs somewhat, but I'm ok with that for now.  I always had a BMI of like 19-20 but it creeps to like 21-22 if I don't watch.  Sucks being a short woman- my husband can go on a low carb paleo type thing for a week and lose 10 lbs and he's not even overweight.

Mdawg: I love the wave rider! I have two pairs of the 16 becuase I buy everything on massive markdown, but they're a great shoe.

CMB: At least your arms will be buff.  Good job staying in good spirits.

Me: ROUGH glycogen-depleted run this morning - I tunred the 9 miler into 8 and didn't do the half-marathon pace intervals.  i won't be depleting that hard for awhile.  It was exhausting.  Right shin is acting up- I might make this week another 40-mile week, not 48.  My body always has issues adjusting to new mileage.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Cmb I hope you don't need to put a screw in your ankle, sounds awful. Hope you recover well.

Long run for me today as I did not get it done on Sunday, and fell asleep in the chair yesterday afternoon. Went pretty well, about 13.7 miles in 2 hours. I actually went through the half in about 1:55:30, but doing twice the distance in twice that time, 3:51, sounds like a tough proposition.

Obviously a lot of hard work and long runs ahead of me.

Regarding long runs; I know the accepted guidelines and accept the reasoning behind them, but I ignore them myself. It seems if I take a day off before and day off after I have no problems running 50% of my weekly miles in one run. A bit like running a race after a taper week with low miles, except you are stressing yourself less as not going at race pace. Not recommending this to people, perhaps I have just been lucky. Certainly I am not a big mileage runner, perhaps that has helped me avoid injuries.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Canuck

Yikes CMB, hopefully no screws will be required.

So, while I was able to run 6 easy miles yesterday without any pain during the run, the pain came back a couple of hours later.  Very frustrating, as it is just a different pain than I've every experienced before - the sensation is weird.  I was pretty confident it wasn't a stress reaction or fracture, as that would also be painful during a run and my run was completely pain free.  Fortunately I had a chiro appointment this morning and today he was able to get a better sense of what the issue is. Appears to be my fibular head (which is where the pain is, but at first we thought it was my lateral gastroc around that area that was the problem as there were lots of knots). Now though, with the knots gone, he could tell that my fibular head was slightly displaced back as compared to the left side. Explains why stairs are painful, as it gets more displaced with knee bend and there are lots of nerves in that area. Hopefully should only take a couple of treatments to resolve (fingers crossed) and I can still run a bit in between, although I do need to give it a couple of days to settle down after treatment. So bike for me today and tomorrow. 

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

onemile

This is exactly why Hansons skips the 20 milers.  If you are taking the day off before and the day off after, you are placing all the focus on one run.  When you'd be better off placing that focus on quality work and overall mileage.

Regarding long runs; I know the accepted guidelines and accept the reasoning behind them, but I ignore them myself. It seems if I take a day off before and day off after I have no problems running 50% of my weekly miles in one run. A bit like running a race after a taper week with low miles, except you are stressing yourself less as not going at race pace. Not recommending this to people, perhaps I have just been lucky. Certainly I am not a big mileage runner, perhaps that has helped me avoid injuries.

White Lightning

Indi/flinders - nice early runs

Jedi - great intervals

Amik - Yikes!!!

onemile - good luck tonight

RV - glad you're getting back at it

cbus - i've looked at those base layers.  might invest in something like that for next winter

akalei - good luck with WW.  I have no problem losing weight up to about 30 mpw, after that, its just not coming off.  I'm still getting thinner though but really want to drop 20 more pounds

Docket - Its going to be a character building race that's for sure.  To be honest, I doubt I would have stuck with running if I stayed in Orlando, at least the long stuff

Sprinkles - are you not getting enough calories or just carbs?  Fitzgerald just published his new Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition book, going to order it tonight

me - 9.1 GA miles @ 9:29 that includes my first time doing strides.  Pretty funny seeing me trying to calculate 100m into miles.  3 miles thinking about it and still didn't get it, and i'm a math geek.  Head was elsewhere today.  Started very stiff and sluggish, had to stop after a 1/2 mile and give the left ITB a really good stretch.  After about 6 miles everything worked better.  Made the stupid mistake of polishing off half a box of costco sized gold fish crackers last night while I watched the hockey game

Play the Game Hard!

Canuck

Simon, if you have to take a day off before and after, you're actually sacrificing mileage, which is generally the most valuable part of distance training.  To give you an example, if you're doing a 20 miler on Sunday, but in order to do it, you need to take Sat and Monday off, for those three days, you only run 20 miles.  A weekend on Hansons might have you doing 8 easy miles on Saturday, 14 miles on Sunday at a slightly faster pace and then 6 easy miles on Monday, for a total of 28 miles instead of 20.

This is exactly why Hansons skips the 20 milers.  If you are taking the day off before and the day off after, you are placing all the focus on one run.  When you'd be better off placing that focus on quality work and overall mileage.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

Rusk Runner

Dagnabbit.  I was hoping that book about marathon nutrition would be available for kindle.  It is not.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Speed workout I fear and respect thee! Do not smite me down in anger, but have favor on me! Got in my 4X1200 @ 7:09 avg. First three intervals were 7:08, and by number four I was so gassed, I gave it everything I had, but could only muster 7:11. Dude, you are telling me I have to do that for 3.1 consecutive miles in a 5k? No thanks. I am never, never, Never going to do a 5k--not happening. Now, tomorrow is my precious SRD. As it is written, "Thou shalt observe the sabbath and keep it holy," so in observance of the sabbath Wednesday by going to Graston. We will see if I have sins to pay for.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

White Lightning

Dagnabbit.  I was hoping that book about marathon nutrition would be available for kindle.  It is not.

He said it's in the works on his facebook page

Play the Game Hard!

onemile

Speed workout I fear and respect thee! Do not smite me down in anger, but have favor on me! Got in my 4X1200 @ 7:09 avg. First three intervals were 7:08, and by number four I was so gassed, I gave it everything I had, but could only muster 7:11. Dude, you are telling me I have to do that for 3.1 consecutive miles in a 5k? No thanks. I am never, never, Never going to do a 5k--not happening. Now, tomorrow is my precious SRD. As it is written, "Thou shalt observe the sabbath and keep it holy," so in observance of the sabbath Wednesday by going to Graston. We will see if I have sins to pay for.

Hello my running twin.  I also have a graston appt tomorrow.  And I didn't even know why, but now I do!  lol

That makes sense, Onemile and Zoekat- I did not mean to imply I plan things this way, just that it  has happened without causing problems.

I work till 6pm every Saturday and every second Friday, so am not really running as often as I should be , maybe 4 days most weeks instead of 5 -6 per week. This holds back my mileage and provides an excuse for not running very well!

In the summer months when it is not dark by 5pm I will do a bit better!

Josh, it is much easier to work in metric, at least I find it so. 100M is very close to a sixteenth of a mile but I would rather figure out the pace in kms then divide by ten. Makes calculating 5k or 10k pace a breeze. Love goldfish! I  try to snack on tortilla chips with salsa and bits of cheese, or dip them in hummus. Also eat dates and nuts as alternative to chocolate bars or candy.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Yeah, but you owned it man!!!! You squished that donut.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

Got my 6x800s done.  Partway into the first interval I decided I better adjust my paces based my recent race.  So I decided to aim for 7:05-7:10 for the intervals.  Man that killed me.

akalei

Sprinkles: Frustrating, right?  My husband is the same way and it's ridiculous.  WW worked for me before, but it almost seems easier to track when you're eating pre-packaged stuff that has the nutrition info already on it.  I guess we'll see how it goes!  Also, as much as that run sucked, you'll be grateful to know how it feels down the road.  Been there.

cmb: That sounds painful...  I hope there are no screws involved! Way to keep your head up, though.

Zoe: hope the problems clear up for you.

cbus: Awesome intervals!

P.S., isn't today like our biggest day of the year, guys?!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com