Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Morning Donuts!  Got in 4 easy miles this AM, somewhere around 9:35-9:40/mile (didn't look at Garmin before I came to work).  I was feeling pretty good until mile 2 and then had quite a bit of tightness in hip, which eventually spread all the way down to the knee and even my medial ankle...yuck!  Had no choice but to finish the run because it was 5 AM and I was 2 miles from home.  I think CBus is right and I need to see a certified Graston person....there is a rehab place near work that I am going to call later today.  On a positive note, I did my first run in the NB 1080 v3 and I really like them.  They are light but cushioned and felt really nice on my feet.  Also used my knuckle lights for the first time and they work pretty well.  The only bad thing is that I felt pretty conspicuous....like hey, here I am....come kidnap me!

Jedi:  Enjoy your rest day...you definitely deserve it!

Flinders:  Nice double!

Docket:  I hope you get your cooler temps, but boo for the wind!

MDawg:  So glad you get to run again....I hope it goes really well!

CBus:  Sorry about the tough day at work and difficult tempo run.  Good for you for getting it done anyway though.  If you would run a 5K, I bet your tempo runs would be easier Big grin

Roll:  I think I would have actually barfed in the fetal position...nice job!

Josh:  I did LOL a little at you sitting in the chiro office on the wrong day!

Sprinkles:  Glad  your run went well, even if depleted!

Chubacca:  Nice 8!

Indy:  Nice recovery run...I don't envy your schedule this weekend.  Good luck!

Banshee:  Hope the dinner with the in-laws went well...I would have been annoyed!

Cmb:  Glad you are still coming to visit and I agree, you sound much for upbeat than I would be.  Hell, I whined about the weather at my race for weeks....I must just be whinier than you!

Onemile:  My chiro does a technique similar to Graston, which he calls "poor man's Graston," because he didn't want to spend the money for the actual tool.  He is a family friend so I was willing to give it a chance, but now am thinking I need to go for the real thing.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Morning guys.

Amik - yes, see a certified Graston person. I think the training goes along with the tools.  My chiro knows exactly how to straighten me out and it's often not the place where the pain is but nearby areas!

Sprinkles - nice job on the 10!

Cbus - nice tempo run there.

josh - glad you are feeling better.

rollcast - nice job on the intervals. Wanting to barf and curl up in the fetal position? Sounds like you're doing it right to me Smile

mdawg - an hour on the elliptical? pretty impressive. I have a hard time doing any sort of exercise machine for that long.

Damaris - glad you are getting cool marathon weather. Even with the wind it has got to be better than the heat and humidity.

Flinders - nice double!

Got the 14 with 8 at GMP done last night.  Felt ok but my legs were sorta tired and it was icy out.  Sidewalks were terrible so I had to stick to the road.  Also it seems to require a lot of focus to hit the correct paces. I feel like it's hard to get into the groove on these runs.

Ball of Fury

Onemile:  That is exactly how I felt on my tempo yesterday.  If I tried to relax a bit and get into a groove, I would like down and I would be running 8:20 or so instead of 8!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a recovery run later.  I did 6 with 2 @ MP last night and forgot my HR.  That was the worse that could happen.  I did my 2 MP miles too fast and almost got an attack because it was super humid and electric (as the rain was coming in).  Worse time to run fast.  But the MPs were 9:09 and 8:58 so I'm getting there!

Well, the weather is now 36-45F feels like with 23mph winds.  I don't mind but the wind might give me an asthma attack because of the dust it carries (I'm allergic to dust).  So, I'm cautiously optimistic, and wearing long sleeves or arm warmers.  Brrrrrrr.

I had to take one of my kitties to the vet as she would not open her eye for 24 hours.  She ended up getting scratched by herself or one of my other kitties and has a big ulcer in her eye.  She got the cone of shame but that didn't last more than 5 minutes.  She got meds and her eye was semi opened this morning, hurrah.

Then, as I was at the vet, some guy brought a dog as an emergency.  He had been hit by a car.  He never made it out of his car.  He died there.  The owner had left him at his office so he could go on vacation and the person that was supposed to take care of him, opened the door and the doggie bolted.  Very sad.  The guy was found (on the way to the airport) and he wouldn't stop crying.  These things happen but if it were my dog, I would make sure the person taking care of him is careful.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, nice run.

onemile, legs tired are good (isn't that what the plan says to expect?)  How did the MP miles feel?  Easier than before?  I've always felt that way whenever I want to hit a specific pace on a marathon.  It's too hard sometimes to focus on it.  Or it's too tiresome to focus on them.  Which is why I like to do them for fun.  No pressure, haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - nice job on the run

onemile - maybe it was tough because you had to worry about ice on roads

DR - good luck this weekend!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Damaris - did you also forget your Garmin? Big grin  But nice pace on your MP miles..  For mine, I thought aerobically the MP files felt better but leg-wise, I had a hard time keeping them moving fast enough.  And yeah I was telling myself that tired legs/cumulative fatigue was all part of the plan last night Smile

Jedi - yes, the icy roads and dark made me feel like I couldn't run confidently because I was afraid of falling.  Ugh. So ready for winter to be over.

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got 5 easy on tap today. I'm feeling kinda tired from yesterday's tempo. Gonna take today's easy day, uh, well, easy.

Ami, your ITBS sounds exactly like mine. And I'll tell you now, it doesn't get better--not even with rest. Go see a real Graston person, now. +1 to Onemile's comment, my chiro has a lot of experience using Graston on sports injuries, and so he has a lot of knowledge, and it's often not in the most obvious places. Actually, I think Mdawg's and Zoe's cases also prove this point, as their chiro have worked further up the chain than one might have assumed.

Onemile, just keep at it. Keep renewing your mind too with each run. These Tempos are where you'll not only develop the physical efficiency but also, and perhaps just as importantly, the mental toughness to maintain this pace. +1 to Jedi's comment: the icy conditions had something to do with it. But don't get down. Keep psyching yourself up for these runs. Maybe mix in a race-prep element to help, like fluid every two miles, or nutrition, or a piece of race-day clothing--just to signal to your mind that these are serious efforts.

Jedi, have fun with the family! Always more important than a run.

Good luck to any racers, and happy running to the rest!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Good morning Donuts!  Strength training, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Leg is a little tender in the spots the sports doc got into last night.  He warned me it would be as he was trying to promote inflammation.  I'm not to ice nor take anti-inflammatories for 48 hours so as to encourage healing in those areas.

AmiK:  Yep...I agree with Cbus.  Seeing a sports doc/certified Graston practioner can only help you.  I recommend sooner rather than later while it's still relatively minor.  It's often another area in the chain of movement that causes the issue.  That's where their expertise pays off.  You'll never diagnose and treat that on your own.

Jedi:  Appointment went well.  He agreed with my trainer's assessment that last week's issue was probably an adhesion release.  He also worked on the sore areas which are now in the lower leg.  Said injuries often times manifest in other areas while healing and the lower leg being sore was not suprising.   I'm to pick back up the running as I was before...flat terrain, easy pace, no more than an hour every other day.

Docket:  I can't stand irresponsible pet owners.  Woo hoo for some cooler weather on race day!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Good morning Donuts!  Strength training, cycling, and stretching at the gym this morning.  Leg is a little tender in the spots the sports doc got into last night.  He warned me it would be as he was trying to promote inflammation.  I'm not to ice nor take anti-inflammatories for 48 hours so as to encourage healing in those areas.

Evil Graston is so evil! Not only are they trying to promote inflammation, but also bruising!!! I love it when my chiro runs over (he always calls it "scanning") an area, and then bruises immediately appears, and he's like, "That's what we want!" When I went into Graston on Wed., I told him, "I'm a true believer, doc. Graston works like magic...um, actually, not like magic, since it's very painful--if it were like magic, it wouldn't hurt."

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Forgot my HRM.  The Garmin would've given me a conniption!

Me, is the other way.  Legs are ready for a sub-4 (the miles meant nothing to them), but the chest?  Ouch.  Keep at it.  You're doing well.

Damaris - did you also forget your Garmin? Big grin  But nice pace on your MP miles..  For mine, I thought aerobically the MP files felt better but leg-wise, I had a hard time keeping them moving fast enough.  And yeah I was telling myself that tired legs/cumulative fatigue was all part of the plan last night Smile

Jedi - yes, the icy roads and dark made me feel like I couldn't run confidently because I was afraid of falling.  Ugh. So ready for winter to be over.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

mdawg, I agree.  I blame the owner for leaving him there although that can happen anywhere.  The one taking care of the dog might just not pay attention for a minute and bam, the dog bolts.  But like my husband said when I told him, if it was a kid, you wouldn't leave him there at an office for somebody to pick him up, right?

Cbus, hope your easy run is, well, easy.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

chubacca

Hey all!

RV -- okay, the temps don't look *that* bad, except for May to September... Smile  I went to college in Virginia and have lots of friends and family in DC, and every time I visit during the summer I get squished by the heat. Feel free to laugh at me for considering weeks of below-freezing weather in New England better than hot Southern summers!

Onemile -- nope, not doing over 16 miles. I was actually introduced to Hansons last year by a few friends, and we're all continuing to follow it for RnR USA. My other friends are considerably faster than me -- one is looking to BQ (3:35), the other to run a 3:05 (?!). While I think we all have played with the schedule a bit, not even the hopeful-3:05 girl who runs workouts with her club half the time is running more than 16. I'll report back on how we do in DC!

Jedi and Banshee -- Don't tell me horror stories!! I blithely signed up shortly after my first marathon, because (1) there was a coupon, and (2) I have a lot of connections in DC, and MCM was already sold out... and since then I've talked several other people into doing RnR USA with me. Hearing experiences like that make me feel guilty for luring them in! Also, the course change mostly means starting on the Mall and then going up Rock Creek Parkway... which is wonderful, except for the fact that there is now a substantial hill at mile 6. I'm trying to rope everyone I know in DC to cheer along that back stretch, and hoping for cooler temperatures too!

Docket -- Huge props to you for training through that weather! I'm glad your race day will be cooler. Being acclimated to heat all the time must mean you have a big advantage whenever you travel north for races!

AmiK -- Once I emailed Dorothy Beal (of the blog Mile Posts) as to how she stays safe when running in the morning... and she says that she actually foregoes reflective/LED gear to avoid being seen! I still put on an LED light and a reflective vest whenever it's dark out -- I think the chances of getting accidentally hit by a car are higher than being kidnapped. Not like either is ideal.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

chub - it was abnormally warm last year. Not supposed to be 70 degrees in March.Smile Not a big fan of RnR but no real issues with organization and you always get a nice race shirt and medal.

Jedi and Banshee -- Don't tell me horror stories!! I blithely signed up shortly after my first marathon, because (1) there was a coupon, and (2) I have a lot of connections in DC, and MCM was already sold out... and since then I've talked several other people into doing RnR USA with me. Hearing experiences like that make me feel guilty for luring them in! Also, the course change mostly means starting on the Mall and then going up Rock Creek Parkway... which is wonderful, except for the fact that there is now a substantial hill at mile 6. I'm trying to rope everyone I know in DC to cheer along that back stretch, and hoping for cooler temperatures too!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

True.  It is closer to 90F here by then. Joking

chub - it was abnormally warm last year. Not supposed to be 70 degrees in March.:) Not a big fan of RnR but no real issues with organization and you always get a nice race shirt and medal.

Damaris

Fundraising Page