Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Grastonites:  So near me there is a chiropracter that is certified or there is a rehab facility that has certified providers...which do you think would be better?

Chubacca:  When I run in the mornings, I just stay in my neighborhood or the neighborhood next to mine so it is all on sidewalks so I don't really worry about cars seeing me.  I actually got the knuckle lights to take to the track for speedwork but just thought I would try them out this morning.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Grastonites:  So near me there is a chiropracter that is certified or there is a rehab facility that has certified providers...which do you think would be better?

Ami, I'd go with the one that specializes in sports injury. I'd call both places and ask if they do Graston for ITBS. Like a shibboleth, if they know what that is and say yes, then I'd go there. If both say yes, then I'd go either place.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Ok, glad to hear it. It seems like a lot of people feel the need to do more which makes me wonder if I should trust the schedule or what? Smile

Onemile -- nope, not doing over 16 miles. I was actually introduced to Hansons last year by a few friends, and we're all continuing to follow it for RnR USA. My other friends are considerably faster than me -- one is looking to BQ (3:35), the other to run a 3:05 (?!). While I think we all have played with the schedule a bit, not even the hopeful-3:05 girl who runs workouts with her club half the time is running more than 16. I'll report back on how we do in DC!

Amik- I agree with Cbus- one who specializes in sports injury if that's an option.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Big reason i am doing lot on mill right now. Don't have to worry about ice and being dark  Just do my easy and LRs outside right now.

Jedi - yes, the icy roads and dark made me feel like I couldn't run confidently because I was afraid of falling.  Ugh. So ready for winter to be over.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Ball of Fury

Thanks CBus and Onemile!  As far the miles, I think the need to do more is a very psychological thing, more than a physical thing.  If you are following the schedule for weekly miles, I say stick with it the way it was designed.  Now, if you are an 80 mpw runner, I think it's fine to do longer runs.

Ok, glad to hear it. It seems like a lot of people feel the need to do more which makes me wonder if I should trust the schedule or what? Smile

Amik- I agree with Cbus- one who specializes in sports injury if that's an option.

onemile

I couldn't handle 14 on the treadmill.  I'd do the indoor track but twice a week is a bit much for my hip/knee/ankle so I try to limit it to once a week. So outside it is.  It's not ideal but it's really the only option.  Sure can't wait for spring though Smile

Big reason i am doing lot on mill right now. Don't have to worry about ice and being dark  Just do my easy and LRs outside right now.

Ball of Fury

I can barely handle 6-7 on the TM!  I called both places and ended up going with the rehab facility.  Spoke with the PT and he was super nice and said they treat a lot of ITBS...have an appointment for Monday!

I couldn't handle 14 on the treadmill.  I'd do the indoor track but twice a week is a bit much for my hip/knee/ankle so I try to limit it to once a week. So outside it is.  It's not ideal but it's really the only option.  Sure can't wait for spring though Smile

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Uploaded my Hanson training plan for Philadelphia if anyone wants to take a look at it. It's a combo of Advanced and 16wk plan you can get off their site. I'm doing a LR every week going to 20m. Strides on Mondays and build-ups Saturdays from 16 week plan. Tops out at 80mpw which will be a mileage PR for me when time comes.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

I once did 18 on the TM at work which has a nice view of the wall of the building.  Not even my iPod could make me not want to kill myself.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Thanks Jedi!  I notice on your log/graph, you have warm-up/cool-down which is in purple.  When I log my runs, it doesn't give me an option to put in warm-up/cool-down so I have been logging them as easy...what am I missing?

Uploaded my Hanson training plan for Philadelphia if anyone wants to take a look at it. It's a combo of Advanced and 16wk plan you can get off their site. I'm doing a LR every week going to 20m. Strides on Mondays and build-ups Saturdays from 16 week plan. Tops out at 80mpw which will be a mileage PR for me when time comes.

Smashy!!!

I can barely handle 6-7 on the TM!  I called both places and ended up going with the rehab facility.  Spoke with the PT and he was super nice and said they treat a lot of ITBS...have an appointment for Monday!

Awesome. After a few sessions, you'll wonder why you ever waited.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

AmiK - I just added them as another type of run in options. Right now I run to/from gym for wu & cd using Garmin and workout just record overall time and pace on mill and log manually in log. if I do entire run outside I just copy run and delete portions of it to capture different types of the workout.

Thanks Jedi!  I notice on your log/graph, you have warm-up/cool-down which is in purple.  When I log my runs, it doesn't give me an option to put in warm-up/cool-down so I have been logging them as easy...what am I missing?

Up Next:

???

onemile

Yep. Big grin

Awesome. After a few sessions, you'll wonder why you ever waited.

Good luck AmiK! I hope it takes care of it for you.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Josh- fruit smoothies are good but I prefer the green ones- I'm weird, I know!  They're also a little sugarshock to me.

Chubacca- Mile Posts is so insufferable.  I can't even look at that blog lol.

AmiK- I would go to whichever one knows about running issues, a la what Cbus said.

Onemile- I did 13 on a TM once - not fun, but it got done during an ice storm.

Jedi- the ice is nasty - we have it here too- better safe than sorry.

I'm coming down with cold #2 and a stomachache.  I really hope this isn't because I am running a lot- I have 16 on the schedule for tomorrow and I don't wan tot have to skip.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

I too agree that it is very difficult to concentrate on pace when you are just trying to make sure you stay upright.  I tend to get aches and pains that I am not used to also from tip toeing and sidestepping the danger areas.

Amik - Good luck with the Graston.  Sooooooo glad I have avoided that experience to date.

Jedi - Thanks for posting your plan.  I look forward to going over it this weekend.  I was wondering how you stacked those different colors on your graphs.

Cbus - I too will be looking forward to keeping easy, easy tomorrow.  5 scheduled but I am looking to do 6 or 7 at the absolute slow end of recovery pace.

Sprinkles - get better!  Have you been following the advice of your nutritionist?  2500 calories wasnt it?  I only get the smoothies that I can buy at the grocery store and prepare after a run.

mdawg - keep up the good work and give us a shout out on the run with the new kix.

Got 13.30 done earlier today.  Kept to no slower than GMP + 60 and no faster than GMP + 45.  Quite a comfortable run and I was really happy with my HR but.... I did not want to run another step when I was done. I could have easily run more, but I didnt want to.  I pulled a bonehead move and ran without eating anything since last night.   Had a post run Yoplait strawberry and banana smoothie with a Clif oatmeal and raisin bar for recovery.  Later I had soba and brocolli.  I was thinking quinoa pasta and tomato sauce with turkey sausage tonight.   How did I get on the food conversation anyway?

I went ahead and got a second pair of pureflow 2's as the NEX had them on sale for less than $65 a pair.  Still got a pair of Flows that has about another 100 miles left in them and then yet another that has about 280 miles left in them,  But the Pureflow 2's are just heaven to run in.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!