Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Got in 5.25 @ 9:54. Am I the only one who feels worse on easy days than quality days? I mean, workouts are harder,but I feel like I'm just trudging through the easy miles. Maybe it's my shoes? I tend to wear bigger, heavier, more protective shoes on easy days, and those don't necessarily feel e best.

Sprink, I know you're a warrior, but I think it's beneficial to take a day off and rest when sick, or else it tends to linger or even worsen.

Indi, great run!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

No.  My easy days suck with Hansons.  I feel like I can barely run 10:00-10:30 a lot of the time.  I try to consider them recovery runs.  (If I'm doing all easy running, it's no problem to run 9:30 for everything).  I think it's normal to feel that way when you're hitting the hard days hard.

Hey all,

Got in 5.25 @ 9:54. Am I the only one who feels worse on easy days than quality days? I mean, workouts are harder,but I feel like I'm just trudging through the easy miles. Maybe it's my shoes? I tend to wear bigger, heavier, more protective shoes on easy days, and those don't necessarily feel e best.

Sprink, I know you're a warrior, but I think it's beneficial to take a day off and rest when sick, or else it tends to linger or even worsen.

Indi, great run!

Sprinkles - I hope you feel better!  I am paranoid about getting sick and having to miss any training! Ugh.

Indi - very nice running indeed.

The combination of a hard interval workout last night, poor fueling the past couple of days and improper sleep habits left my 7 miler as a struggle today. Struggle for 7 is better than sitting around though.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Indiana - I haven't been following the advice because it was making me tubby, so we are reevaluating at 1500 right now since that seems to be where I'm staying stable for now- the whole thing can be finicky.

Cbus- If I feel like crap tomorrow I will definitely cut the run short- Im' hoping to get the long run in this weekend at least since I might have to divide Tuesday's longish run into two 5 milers to make my weekly mileage since my boss is coming in at the buttcrack of dawn on Tuesday.

Onemile- I always get one cold every year- at least this one is just a sore throat and exhaustion so far.  I might also be suffering from a little new-mileage induced fatigue...although my body itself feels fine.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Rusk Runner

cbus - I used to feel that way until I started learning alot more about decreasing stride length while keeping stride rate.  Tiny steps like being on an imaginary little unicycle, stuff like that.  When I really need to slow down though, I feel the treadmill helps.

Good Lord Sprinkles - If I tried to get by on 1500 calories I would probably tear someones head off and eat it after a day.

Way to gitt'er done Roll!

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

White Lightning

Afternoon everyone.  SRD for me and am enjoying it

Cbus - exactly how i've been feeling.  My recovery runs have been brutal, anything over 10:00 min/mile.  I've had no issues with the quicker stuff.

Jedi - that's quite the plan, looks great.  Hopefully one day I will be able to put that kind of mileage in.  Curious, how many years has it taken you to build your base to be able to start that plan?

Sprinkles - I mentioned the smoothies because I was reading an article somewhere that states even though we put food into our body, we might not actually use the food as calories as it can pass straight through us before its converted to energy.  I found it very interesting and I'm now religious about my after workout smoothie that packs quite the punch.  I throw just about everything into it from fruit, lettuce, brussel sprouts and even coffee grind oatmeal.  My energy level has been fantastic since and i'm eating the same amount of calories as before.   1500 may be right for you, 1800 seems right for me for a couch day and i'm 50 pounds heavier than you.  You are adding the run/workout calories too right?  On your 20 mile day you will be eating 3000+ calories?  To be honest, it is very hard for me to eat 3000+ calories of healthy food, the smoothie makes it much easier.

My question, which i'm hoping Fitzgerald goes into in his new book, is how many calories should we be eating at a time to refuel after a long run to replenishment our glycogen.  I'm assuming we can only fill up our glycogen at a certain rate, so after a long or high intensity run should we hit it with a big 800 calorie recovery meal or 4x200 calorie recovery meals over a certain time.  I can't remember who I was reading about but it was a US olympic female long distance runner who said she never ate a meal over 300 calories but ate up to 12 times a day.

Play the Game Hard!

Trail Monster

Evening all! I see lots of posts about tired legs! I may not be doing Hansons but I'm there! Surprised myself by being able to hit my paces tonight. 6 at 9:20 average. Starting to believe a sub-4 is in my future!  Our busy season at work just hit so I will probably be hit or miss for a while. We've got a big outage, an out of state job, plus a job in Puerto Rico on top of our regular customers and some shop work. Hopefully it will help me keep taper madness at bay In a couple weeks! Now I just have to survive my last two peak weeks before that! Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

cmb4314

Just in for a quick update -

Ankle surgery on Monday.  MRI shows that I have a tear in one of the three upper ankle ligaments, the one that holds the tibia and fibula together, and I sprained the other two.  When that ligament tore, it meant that it wasn't holding the tibia and fibula as tightly together.  So if it heals like it is, the leg bones will be a little too loose, so to speak, since the ligament will heal a little bit longer than it is supposed to be, and my ankle could be weak.  So, they're going to go in and basically wrap a giant suture around my tibia and fibula and cinch them together so that the ligament heals with the bones located properly.  It's kind of crazy, really - my leg bones are only about a millimeter farther apart then they normally are, but even that little bit of extra space would mean that the sprain wouldn't heal quite right without surgery.

6 weeks non-weight bearing, and I'm not sure if I'm totally free after that or if I'll just move to a walking cast.  I did get a little knee scooter thing to help me get around, which is going to save my bacon at work.

I do have the official O.K. from the doctor to go on my trip to New Orleans though, which I'm pleased about Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Ankle surgery on Monday.  MRI shows that I have a tear in one of the three upper ankle ligaments, the one that holds the tibia and fibula together, and I sprained the other two.  When that ligament tore, it meant that it wasn't holding the tibia and fibula as tightly together.  So if it heals like it is, the leg bones will be a little too loose, so to speak, since the ligament will heal a little bit longer than it is supposed to be, and my ankle could be weak.  So, they're going to go in and basically wrap a giant suture around my tibia and fibula and cinch them together so that the ligament heals with the bones located properly.  It's kind of crazy, really - my leg bones are only about a millimeter farther apart then they normally are, but even that little bit of extra space would mean that the sprain wouldn't heal quite right without surgery.

6 weeks non-weight bearing, and I'm not sure if I'm totally free after that or if I'll just move to a walking cast.  I did get a little knee scooter thing to help me get around, which is going to save my bacon at work.

I do have the official O.K. from the doctor to go on my trip to New Orleans though, which I'm pleased about Smile

No screws is a good thing! Try some deer antler spray, worked for Ray Lewis.

P.S. Mr. B's Bistro in New Orleans is super-ness. Do not overlook.

No screws is a good thing! Try some deer antler spray, worked for Ray Lewis.

P.S. Mr. B's Bistro in New Orleans is super-ness. Do not overlook.

Smashy!!!

CMB, good luck on the surgery. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Are you planning on attending the race as a spectator?

onemile

Banshee - I'm not surprised YOU have tired legs with all those tough speed workouts!  Smile  Nice job on the 6!

CMB - so sorry to hear that you have to have surgery.  Hope it goes well and the six weeks fly by.

My 7 last night were tough... as expected.  I always seem to have a rough time the day after the tempo runs.  An easy 8 on my schedule for today.  I've been feeling sorta sick of this whole marathon training in the winter thing.  It's not so much the Hansons plan (which has grown on me) but the dark, icy roads, cold, wind and not being able to run on my normal trail (stuck doing loops around my neighborhood).  I'm just so. over. it.  And I'm only half way through the training.  I think I'm going to drive out to a new trail for my long run that I've heard is plowed and clear just for a change of scenery.  But man, I really just wish I could quit!!!

Smashy!!!

Onemile, hang in there! Winter is tough, no doubt. But it's almost over. So just hang in there. And if you can get a clear path, the drive is certainly worth it.

Rusk Runner

Seems in a sense that having a normal day to day life (spouse, kids, job, house) presents its own sense of challenges to people who want to race a marathon.  Elites have everything available to them.  Places to run when the weather is bad, massage, medical care etc.

We are an amazing bunch.  We find a way to carry through with our training one way or another,  and we go out and get the races done.

onemile - Your doing great!  Better than most of us!  Keep it up and remember, the stuff that sucks is your mental training.  When you get to your race you the new scenery and the lack of ice, snow, and all of those other negatives will keep you going strong.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Seems in a sense that having a normal day to day life (spouse, kids, job, house) presents its own sense of challenges to people who want to race a marathon.  Elites have everything available to them.  Places to run when the weather is bad, massage, medical care etc.

We are an amazing bunch.  We find a way to carry through with our training one way or another,  and we go out and get the races done.

onemile - Your doing great!  Better than most of us!  Keep it up and remember, the stuff that sucks is your mental training.  When you get to your race you the new scenery and the lack of ice, snow, and all of those other negatives will keep you going strong.

I agree with this 100%! Someone asked about mental toughness and how to build it (I forget who)--here it is right here.