Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

bagopux

bags - what kind of workout is that?

Roll,Its part of Hudson's HM program, so there's a lot more speed work than a marathon program.  This is an efficiency/economy/speed thing, and then it gets you a little tired for the push toward the end of the workout.  So its a combination of things.  Hudson does that kind of thing.

By the way, I've generally trained for fulls both fall and spring for the past several years when healthy.  I thought the HM program would be a nice change.  And it definitely is.  It allows you to do a lot more different stuff and to do some experimenting.  So I'm really enjoying it.  I do miss the heavy endurance stuff from marathon training, the 16+ runs, but it will make it that much more enjoyable when I get back to it in May or so.  Its been a good recharge so far.

Jag, you may remember that I have these instances where my HR shoots up about 20 bpm for no reason and stays there for a few miles and then many times just returns to normal after a few miles.  I saw a cardiologist about it last year, but he couldn't be bothered.  The symptoms came back in October, and then disappeared again, and then came back again a few weeks ago (and they're gone now).  So I got a new cardiologist who seems much more interested in actually trying to help me.  (How weird is that?)  So we're going to try to get to the bottom of it, and a stress test is a start.  I'm not in mortal danger or anything like that, but it is my heart, and its not normal, so I'd kinda like a diagnosis.

Docket_Rocket

I did 6 miles tonight and they were fast but the effort felt very easy.  I like when my lungs are breathing during my run, ha.

You guys must have the contrary weather as us.  Our worst humidity is between 5am and 7am, going down until it's lowest at 5pm-7pm.  Which is why I run in the afternoons.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

Goooooood Moooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrningggggggggggg Donuts!

First cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal has me a little upbeat this morning.  Dont know what time I will get my 12 miles in today.  We got a lot of sleet and drizzle last night which has letf the area in quite an icy state.

My legs and associated running muscles generally felt like crap yesterday prior to getting in my run.  I have noticed this anytime I take more than one day off of running.  I also notice this during taper, albeit on a much lesser level.  I used to worry about this, but now I just take it as my body reminding me that I am sitting still for too long.

Bago - Hope your new doc is able to answer some questions for you.

Docket -  We all root for you not having asthma problems!

Sprinkles - How goes the mileage increases?

Banshee - Hows the hip?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

akalei

Morning, donuts! Happy Friday!  It couldn't come soon enough, either.... this was supposed to be an "easy" week at work and, instead, I've been dealing with a miserable case all week that just won't go away.  BUT I did get some job apps out, so fingers crossed.  I've still got 6 months and no definite end date to my clerkship, so I'm not quite sweating it yet, but the job search reminds me how badly I wish I had transferred after my first year of law school.  End vent.

Bago: My mom is a cardiology NP... you guys would be excellent friends.  I hope you get things figured out!

Banshee: Sorry to hear about the problems.  Bad weeks have gotten the best of me in the past, but I agree with cbus that your body is just tired.  As for your hip, go out and get some TheraBands that look like giant rubber bands (I got mine at Target after using them in PT).  Get into a not-too-deep squatting position with the band around your ankles and walk sideways about 10 steps, then go back the other way.  PT had me doing that when I went in for my ITBS, but I noticed it helped my hips... which I guess was part of the source of the problem.  Having those bands also makes it easy to do some stuff while I'm watching TV in the evening and what not.

Roll: kudos to you for being a decent guy... could use more like you on my trail!

Nice miles yesterday, everyone Smile  Got in 6 on the TM yesterday... wow do I hate that.  My gym has those treadmills with the visual profiles, so it looked like I was running through LA and alters the incline to (kind of) match the profile of the run, and I hit the "Hollywood Hills" around the same time I started my HMP (7:47/mi) 2 miles.  Man did that kill me.  But I managed, so hopefully I'll be solid for a flat half in 3.5 weeks!

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  After indiana yelled at us to wake up, I woke up, ha!  I have a short recovery run tonight.

Off to work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Smashy!!!

Morning all!

Just watching Strawberry Shortcake w DD. Like Indi, we've got some freezing rain/sleet, so I'll get my 6 easy miles in after work.

Happy running everyone!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Jag, you may remember that I have these instances where my HR shoots up about 20 bpm for no reason and stays there for a few miles and then many times just returns to normal after a few miles.  I saw a cardiologist about it last year, but he couldn't be bothered.  The symptoms came back in October, and then disappeared again, and then came back again a few weeks ago (and they're gone now).  So I got a new cardiologist who seems much more interested in actually trying to help me.  (How weird is that?)  So we're going to try to get to the bottom of it, and a stress test is a start.  I'm not in mortal danger or anything like that, but it is my heart, and its not normal, so I'd kinda like a diagnosis.

If they can't trigger it with the stress test you may need to wear a Holter monitor, kind of a portable EKG device, for a few runs.  I wore one for several runs when I had PAF  (Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation) that was intermittent.  Didn't interfere with the runs at all.

bagopux

If they can't trigger it with the stress test you may need to wear a Holter monitor, kind of a portable EKG device, for a few runs.  I wore one for several runs when I had PAF  (Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation) that was intermittent.  Didn't interfere with the runs at all.

That is Plan B.  Apparently with the latest models they can give it to you to collect data for like a month.  Just put it on when you run and take it off when you're done.  If the stress test doesn't turn up answers, then I'll have to wait til the symptoms start up again and call the doc for a portable monitor.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

bagopux - I did Hudson Adv II HM plan last year and have done that workout and set watch same way you suggest.

I used to run in the afternoons after work during the summer all the time here in NC.  But last summer I switched to mornings, and I am *not* a morning person.  But after a while I got to liking it and it definitely helps to beat the heat.

Couple of questions for all:

1. I have a weird Hudson workout scheduled for this weekend.  It goes like this: 2 miles w/u; 4 miles alternating 1 minute at 10k pace and 1 minute easy; 2 miles easy; 2 miles hard; done.   Its kind of like a fartlek run but much longer.  Has anyone done something like this?  I'm thinking of setting my GPS to 1 minute laps just so I don't lose focus, but I'm also thinking that might be kind of annoying after a couple of miles.

2. I'm doing a stress test next week.  What are people's experiences with that?  Do you just go 3 minutes on a TM at 0% incline and then 3 at 1% and on and on until you barf or something like that?  Should I log it as a hill workout? Wink

thanks

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Good luck finding the answer, bagopux!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Late check-in this morning as I'm really busy at work this morning. Solid 7+ miles this morning on faster end of my easy pace. Starting to almost feel 100% again. Tempo run tomorrow and last LR before my HM on Sunday.

onemile/cbus - nice job on those Hanson tempos!

bagopux - just to add on Hudson. i liked that plan when i did it, but never got a chance to see if it worked as i got sick with pneunomia 2 days before my race, but finished entire plan.

Great running all!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

bagopux - just to add on Hudson. i liked that plan when i did it, but never got a chance to see if it worked as i got sick with pneunomia 2 days before my race, but finished entire plan.

jedi,  thanks.  I'll set the gps and see how it goes... HM Advanced II is the one I'm doing too.  I'll try to avoid that pneumonia part.  I don't remember seeing that in the plan. Wink

onemile

Good morning.

We just got another 4 inches of snow dumped on us.  6 easy for tonight.

akalei - nice job on the HMP miles - 7:47 - wow you are gonna rock it!

Jedi - nice job on the 7!

Ball of Fury

Afternoon donuts!  Just a quick check-in...busy, busy day at work!  I still haven't decided if I am going to run today or not.  Didn't go out this morning due to the ice and didn't feel like hitting the TM, so told myself I would just run 5-6 easy miles this afternoon.  However, my right hip is kinda tight/painful (probably from PT yesterday) and we have a race to run tomorrow.  The problem is, it's not a goal race or anything and I would probably be better off getting in the miles than resting for the race, but not sure yet.  It was supposed to be a 6 mile trail race, but they have said we cannot run on the mountain bike trails because of the weather so they made a 3.5 mile or a 7 mile cross country course.  We will probably do the 7 miler and then add a couple warm-up and cool-down to get to 10-11, which is the distance of our long run this week anyway.  I guess I will just see how I feel when I get home from work.  Hope you are all having a great day and have a good weekend.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Canuck

Good morning all.  Well, I was planning to ride my bike to work today - the scheduled spin class at the gym this morning was only 45 mins long and I didn't really want to have to get there by 6:15 just for that, so figured the ride to and from work would do instead.  However, it is absolutely bucketing down rain today (heads up amiK!!), so I gave up on that notion.  I may actually go for an easy run this evening instead - I'm debating it.  My chiro did say I could probably run by the end of this week and my leg is feeling pretty good, so I may just do that instead.  I have to get back out there at some point.  I have personal training and a spin class scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Banshee - sounds like your workouts are catching up with you a bit.  You have been doing more mileage and harder workouts this cycle, you probably just need a couple of days off.  Have a hot bath, do some yoga, get more sleep and see how you feel.  Re: the hip, sounds like you may have strained your hip flexor, in which case a couple of days off is probably a good idea as well.  For overall hip health, I've been trying to do the Myrtle routine (you can you tube it) almost every day.  There's also a good hip/core workout in Running Times this month.

indiana - the nice thing about rain (if there is a nice thing) is that, while it may be slightly unpleasant to be wet, it never prevents you from getting your workout in, which can be a problem obviously with snow and ice.  Once I'm running, I don't generally even notice the rain, unless it is particularly cold and windy as well.

bago - on that Hudson workout, you can set the watch for the intervals, and I wouldn't worry too much about pace, as you've noted, at 1 min on/off, it's basically a fartlek, so just run what feels like 10k pace for the on portions and you'll be getting what you need out of that section.

Nice tempos onemile and cbus!

Hey anyone I missed from the last two pages!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)